Pre-Game Talk: Game 2: Leafs vs Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
One handed stick checks and fly by's in play off games nope thats not soft. Boston play off series he avoided going near the boards to be 1st on loose pucks I saw him literally bail on and is invisible when needed the most in post season because the physical game increases dramatically. He is a talented skilled hockey player but he is Kessel like when it comes to avoiding getting hit to make the play. I am not a hater and so many others see the same traits, this team will go no where with only one bonifide defense man in Reilly and players who are NOT willing to make that sacrifice to make that play to win.
I just think he was a lot better than people are giving him credits. He made some good plays in the Ozone and made that pass to AM in the slot.
Marner was invisible even with the puck.
Hyman was not good.
JT was quiet.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Honestly, game 1 could have gone either way. Yes, the goal on Andersen wasn't amazing, but if he doesn't make a couple huge saves early on with some defensive lapses, then it would have been game over in the first period.

The thing I'm going to watch in game 2 is how Keefe can manage getting Matthews away from Jones and Werenski. Jones had his way with Matthews and that will remain the same unless you think outside the box. Throw Clifford on his wing for a shift or 2, double shift Matthews or make Jones' life hard by matching with the last change to get the 4th line with Jones/Werenski.

Matthews was engaged. Just time for the rest of the top 6 to wake up and get going.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I thought Nylander was fairly engaged last night, with only one really bad defensive gaffe in the first .. And he set up the Leafs best scoring chance.

I mean there were multiple plays where he was scrapping in front of the Jackets net looking for the setup...

He had. a few consistentency issues in the 1st but had things going after that

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Does a 1-0 loss on a bad goal give you more or less hope they can grind out a playoff win?

Well, if I'm just basing my opinion on the score I would be much more confident. However, I watched the game and aside from a couple of players playing well, this team just looked weak. This team isn't built to out grind anyone. It's built to punish other teams with waves of offense. If we aren't doing that we're toast.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Well, if I'm just basing my opinion on the score I would be much more confident. However, I watched the game and aside from a couple of players playing well, this team just looked weak. This team isn't built to out grind anyone. It's built to punish other teams with waves of offense. If we aren't doing that we're toast.
They weren't "toast" last game though, which is my point. They lost on a bad goal. Andy didn't keep them in it, but they didn't dominate either.

They lost a close game on a bad goal.

Reactions: ACC1224

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Honestly, game 1 could have gone either way. Yes, the goal on Andersen wasn't amazing, but if he doesn't make a couple huge saves early on with some defensive lapses, then it would have been game over in the first period.

The thing I'm going to watch in game 2 is how Keefe can manage getting Matthews away from Jones and Werenski. Jones had his way with Matthews and that will remain the same unless you think outside the box. Throw Clifford on his wing for a shift or 2, double shift Matthews or make Jones' life hard by matching with the last change to get the 4th line with Jones/Werenski.

Matthews was engaged. Just time for the rest of the top 6 to wake up and get going.
Honestly, either AM or JT will be match up against Jones and Werenski. The line not against them need to score and capitalize. JT and Marner line failed to do that.
It is like the Raptors, if you shut down KL, they go to Siakim, if they win, nobody cares if KL got 8pts.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Honestly, either AM or JT will be match up against Jones and Werenski. The line not against them need to score and capitalize. JT and Marner line failed to do that.
It is like the Raptors, if you shut down KL, they go to Siakim, if they win, nobody cares if KL got 8pts.

If you're Torts, who are you going to put Werenski/Jones out against? Unless he's unable to, it's 100% Matthews. He's the game changer.

Yeah, Marner/Tavares have to be the difference makers and believe they will be in game 2. I don't think there's any excuses. Everyone has had the same time off.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well Keefe had last change in game 1. ,
Who has it in game 2

Are they going 2-2-1 or
1-1-1-1-1. For home ice advantage and last change

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
andy made a few good saves not sure what you are getting at, I dont answer based on variables.... because thats not what happened
I'm getting at exactly what I initially said. You quoted it and are welcome to go back and read that whole sentence you bolded.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I'm getting at exactly what I initially said. You quoted it and are welcome to go back and read that whole sentence you bolded.
you said Andy didn't keep them in the game, I thought he looked fine, made some big saves, and not the reason we lost... gotta score to win

Reactions: Notsince67

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
you said Andy didn't keep them in the game, I thought he looked fine, made some big saves, and not the reason we lost... gotta score to win
I didn't say he was the reason we lost, I said he didn't keep us in it. Ie the team was not on its heels all night and the only reason it was close was due to Andy. That's what a goalie who is keeping you in the game does.

That poster suggested this team couldn't win (or even compete really) on close games. Game 1 was a close game that seemed pretty even to me. A bounce here, bad goal, etc.. and we have the opposite outcome.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I didn't say he was the reason we lost, I said he didn't keep us in it. Ie the team was not on its heels all night and the only reason it was close was due to Andy.

That poster suggested this team couldn't win (or even compete really) on close games. Game 1 was a close game that seemed pretty even to me. A bounce here, bad goal, etc.. and we have the opposite outcome.
ah ok sorry mis read your post, makes sense now, Columbus in no way was dominate last night, Andy should of had that 1 goal, and yes 1 bounce 1 way or the other result is different.

Reactions: Gallagbi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad