Post-Game Talk: Game 19 - Much Better!!!!!! BRUINS 4 NYR 1 F

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I still believe you can not determine how good your team or how good your young guys are progressing playing the same four or five teams
I think this is an excellent point, that is true for everyone in League. I have to imagine all teams have employed local scouts to come up with a book on every team - outside of player scouting. Tons of tape watching as well. Later round playoffs will be very interesting. All teams will go in cold in terms of truly having a feel for how the other plays.

Reactions: Gordoff

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Harry Sinden's coaching in that series is overlooked.

The Russians had actually installed a very expensive videotape machine in their Embassy in Ottawa to tape NHL games to send back to Moscow. Team Canada had very little video of the Soviets. Sinden knew the players were angry and embarrassed but he had to drive it home not to take any bad penalties as European officials would give the USSR breaks. Look at what happened in Olympic basketball a couple of weeks earlier.

None of the USA Men's Olympic basketball team accepted the silver medal.
They never will.
Miscarriage of justice

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
That was more like it!

Good physical response, better D.
Nice to see Coyle pot 2. That first one was a beauty. Nothing to do with the goalie's head. Just a great effort and a well placed shot.

I, too, thought Zboril and Vaak had great games. Good to see them bounce back like that. Professional games from them.

Great to see Bergeron and Marchand leading by example with the hits they delivered right off the bat. I know some guys are just maybe built more solidly, even if they're shorter than average, but if Marchand can play a physical game like that, anyone can.

McKegg seemed to have a decent game. Nothing spectacular, but he was certainly no worse than any other 4th liner so far this season – namely Kuraly or Wagner.

Not sure what Bjork did to get benched. He seemed quite decent last game. Lots of drive, had a few rushes toward the net. Maybe his 200-ft game is lacking?

As for the whipping boys, I don't think DeBrusk was bad, per se, as some are claiming. He wasn't "invisible" – at least no more than a few other players who don't get "whipped" as much – but he needs to score. Simple as that. I thought I saw a little more jump from Kuraly this game, but he certainly hasn't been the factor he used to be.

I'm a little worried about Smith, to be honest. For a guy who was brought in to be a shooter and provide secondary scoring, his production has been a little underwhelming vs expectations. He battles and mucks it up, and the effort is there, but I expected him to be potting a few more goals by now. If we're going to single out players for under-producing, why does he seem to get a free pass?

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Nice win, much needed, salvages the road trip a bit. For all the grief we give this team, they tend to get wins when they're up against it. A loss today, especially a bad loss, and they're would have been all holy hell, and then there's Felger.

Beg your pardon, I returned from Buff's and I'm drunk, so I'll say it: nice game Kegger!!

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Anyone know what exactly earned Smith his late penalty? NHL pbp just says unsportsmanlike conduct against Kevin Rooney. I'd never even heard of that guy and at first thought Chris Rooney was reffing this game and Smith have him a mouthful. I would've dug it (both trash talking the ref and putting like that in the boxscore).

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Anyone know what exactly earned Smith his late penalty? NHL pbp just says unsportsmanlike conduct against Kevin Rooney. I'd never even heard of that guy and at first thought Chris Rooney was reffing this game and Smith have him a mouthful. I would've dug it (both trash talking the ref and putting like that in the boxscore).
Smith laid a hit in the corner well after a whistle.

Reactions: Number8

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The Bobby Clarke hatchet job on Kharlamov was still one of the most disgusting things I’ve seen in International competition, but that’s for another thread.....
Well, I’ll say this...

I know that if I was playing for Team USA and we were getting killed 3-1-1 in an 8 game series against the Soviet Union, and there were Americans saying that I was an embarrassment to our country, I can assure you that my pot would probably have boiled over, too.

But that’s just me.

I’m actually shocked something like that hadn’t happened earlier in the Series.

Reactions: BMC

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
Tbh, I wanted to post the Jonah Hill 6 to midnight emoji but my wife told me not to be a “weirdo” so I’ll just say the following: Nick Ritchie made me excited in a Milan Lucic circa 2011 kind of way and Im not embarrassed to say so. My wife is watching me text this so to everyone drinking tonight enjoy because I may be seeking a lawyer in the morning.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Studnicka looks really good at center. I don't think you can send him back down, and I don't think you want him on the 4th line. Do you play Coyle on his wing when Krejci is back?

Also, can we please keep John Moore away from the lineup for a while. All the team does is win when he sits.

Studnicka and Coyle present a little bit of a problem in that they're both natural centers who are much better in the middle than on the wing. But when Krejci returns only one of them can be 3C, and I don't see Stud as a 4th liner - he's already better than that and it's not his game style.

I think on balance Coyle is a bigger waste on wing than Jack, plus he's the senior and at this stage better player, so when Krej comes back they probably try Stud at 3RW again and see how he goes with a little more experience under his belt. If it doesn't work they can always just return him to being first man up whenever a top 9 center becomes unavailable.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Nice win, much needed, salvages the road trip a bit. For all the grief we give this team, they tend to get wins when they're up against it. A loss today, especially a bad loss, and they're would have been all holy hell, and then there's Felger.

Beg your pardon, I returned from Buff's and I'm drunk, so I'll say it: nice game Kegger!!
John Moore lives around the corner from Buff's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad