Sep 22, 2011
Here's another example of what can happen when you pull the goalie down by two:

cut.jpg

Sorry, Laffs fans. :laugh:

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Bruins finally got a win in New York after getting battered for two games straight. Good to see Cassidy whipped em into shape and make a statement win. Additionally, if I never have to see McKegg in a Bruins shirt again I will get on my knees and thank the lord because that guy takes some of the dumbest penalties imaginable.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
Also, remember what happened after the most famous "Why isn't the goalie pulled???" incident in the history of the game:

View attachment 401651

That's right, the USSR coach was so used to winning, he forgot to pull the goalie when down by one in the last minutes of the game.
I seem to recall that pulling the goalie was never a “thing” that Soviet coaches did, even in later eras when winning was not quite as prevalent. Don’t know why, if they just didn’t believe it was beneficial or if it was just some specific coaches that didn’t do it. Either way, I’m not so sure it was a mistake by Tikhonov in this instance.

You’re right though that that team was very used to winning and it could be interpreted as a very unfamiliar situation for them.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
I know the Summit is sacred to Canadians, but I say "Meh". In 1980, a bunch of college kids put Tretiak on the bench by the second period.

I won't slag what USA did in 1980.
The Summit and the 80 Olympic wins were unique in their own way.

USA Olympic team were inexperienced yes. But having the entire country behind them and home ice obviously helped. Herb Brooks, a hot goalie in Craig and jelling as a team were also key.

Team Canada went to Russia down in the series . 2-1-1. They lost game 5. For many, none played on a ice surface that size. Biased officiating. Yet they won the next 3 to win the series. Hardly a "meh".

Both wins were incredible.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The Summit and the 80 Olympic win were unique in their own way.

USA Olympic team were inexperienced yes. But having the entire country behind them and home ice obviously helped. Herb Brooks, a hot goalie in Craig and helping as a team were also key.

Team Canada went to Russia down in the series . 2-1-1. They lost game 5. For many, none played on a ice surface that size. Biased officiating. Yet they won the next 3 to win the series. Hardly a "meh".

In all honesty, I was being facetious. The Summit would rank as the #1 story in hockey history if the Miracle had not occurred.

Reactions: rfournier103

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The Summit and the 80 Olympic wins were unique in their own way.

USA Olympic team were inexperienced yes. But having the entire country behind them and home ice obviously helped. Herb Brooks, a hot goalie in Craig and jelling as a team were also key.

The Bobby Clarke hatchet job on Kharlamov was still one of the most disgusting things I’ve seen in International competition, but that’s for another thread.....

Reactions: nORRis8 and Gordoff

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Summit and the 80 Olympic win were unique in their own way.

USA Olympic team were inexperienced yes. But having the entire country behind them and home ice obviously helped. Herb Brooks, a hot goalie in Craig and helping as a team were also key.

Harry Sinden's coaching in that series is overlooked.

The Russians had actually installed a very expensive videotape machine in their Embassy in Ottawa to tape NHL games to send back to Moscow. Team Canada had very little video of the Soviets. Sinden knew the players were angry and embarrassed but he had to drive it home not to take any bad penalties as European officials would give the USSR breaks. Look at what happened in Olympic basketball a couple of weeks earlier.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Cassidy is a great coach but I find it absolutely maddening how much leeway he gives DeBrusk and how little leeway he gives Bjork.

But otherwise a really nice bounce-back today, especially from the defense. McAvoy looks like a Norris favorite to me.

Boston also has not played a single game against Buffalo yet who is probably the worst team in the division, so they're in a good place even with the two eggs they laid on Thursday/Friday.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
What I don’t understand is why referees don’t allow Lindgren to fight Ritchie right after he fell on the goalie. It would have ended right there.

Maybe Lindgren didn’t want to fight? But seemed like the officials stepped in pretty quickly.
I’m with you. IMO linesmen are far too quick getting into true fights that spark immediately from action. Seen more than one player eat a shot because his linesman got him tied up while the other guy’s didn’t. Lots of room for people to get hurt when four men are immediately engaged, with two wanting to get at one another.

On the other hand, they lets Ritchie and Lemieux plan a fight. They’ve got ears. Do they not know that fight is going to go down as soon as puck is dropped?

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Even in the '72 Summit Series when Canada went up 6-5 with 34 seconds left, Russia never thought of yanking off Tretiak. (no pun intended)

I always thought it was funny watching a Russian game.....and here they come up the ice.....Snapinov with a pass to Yurkinov, over to Wackinov.....always wondered how they hell they played hockey!

oooh looks like he shot a little too early there.....shouldn't have gone in so deep.....

Reactions: BMC and JoeBeef15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad