GDT: Game #14|Tue., Nov. 5, 2013| Flyers at Hurricanes |7:30 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Going off the Play by play it seems 7 of NJ's 11 even strength shots happened when the Mez-Gill pair was on ice.

I didn't realize it was that bad but I definitely noticed that everytime the devils had a good shift, thats was spent almost entirely in our zone they were on the ice.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Struggling isn't the half of it. We're on a 5 game losing streak. Our starting goalie and our NHL backup are both out. Our goalies right now started the season as the starter/backup combo for our AHL club. We have no offense, the players you expect to produce (the Staals and Semin especially) have gone cold and the one player who was chipping in offensively, Skinner, has been out with a wrist/arm injury. Please, oh Bullies of Broad Street, have mercy on us.

The Flyers' new motto: Don't score on us, and nobody gets hurt.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The opposing PKs have cheated towards Giroux several times. We need someone on the other side to start threatening.

I've actually seen the opposite. I see that most teams are daring Giroux to beat him with his shot and not allowing anyone else to do anything.

Either way Giroux is really showing how 1 dimensional he is on the PP and his inability to play in diffrent areas of the Ice are hurting this team.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Every one is atrocious right now. But yea vinny really should be on the top unit with that one timer and then Simmonds infront

Aside from needing Lecavalier on it, both Simmonds and Hartnell play very similar games and usually are best used parking their ***** in front of the net. Kind of pointless to have two similar guys doing that in the same PP unit.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I've actually seen the opposite. I see that most teams are daring Giroux to beat him with his shot and not allowing anyone else to do anything.

Either way Giroux is really showing how 1 dimensional he is on the PP and his inability to play in diffrent areas of the Ice are hurting this team.

I don't think it's Giroux showing his inability to play only one spot. He can't just go wherever he wants, he needs to play in the system the coach runs. Maybe eventually they change it up to a different style, but I think the PP gets back on track soon. It is too good not to.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Aside from needing Lecavalier on it, both Simmonds and Hartnell play very similar games and usually are best used parking their ***** in front of the net. Kind of pointless to have two similar guys doing that in the same PP unit.

I believe last year when the PP was really producing they were using a double screen with Hartnell and simmonds. I don't mind it, they just need to crash the net extremely hard for rebounds, that's where simmonds makes it happen.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I don't think it's Giroux showing his inability to play only one spot. He can't just go wherever he wants, he needs to play in the system the coach runs. Maybe eventually they change it up to a different style, but I think the PP gets back on track soon. It is too good not to.

PP's are something that come and go in terms of potency and once teams have an offseason to figure how to defend it or see how successful teams have been defending it and copy it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

It hasn't been consistent in every game, but in many games the PK has increasingly been able to isolate and contain him because they know they can take the risk because he will be the focus. They need to open things up, get everyone on the ice involved, and let Giroux have room to work. The PP spends way too much time involving only 2-3 people, and often staying only along one side of the ice.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
PP's are something that come and go in terms of potency and once teams have an offseason to figure how to defend it or see how successful teams have been defending it and copy it.

You can really say that about any system though, not just the PP and PK.

Flyers need to do a better job fighting for the loose pucks, out numbering their opponent when up a man, and making better passes. Oh and shoot the damn puck when they have a chance. I am not saying other teams can't defend our PP better, I just think it's more the little things than the system. Also, they need to win faceoffs in the O zone when they begin the PP, drives me crazy.

Puck movement needs to be much better too, that opens the ice up big time.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
There's nothing wrong with a PP running through someone. Washington's PP is basically nothing but Ovechkin snipes but that doesn't stop them. The problem still just lays with everyone besides Lecavalier performing like crap on the PP and having no offensively capable D aside from Streit who doesn't even have a big blast to utilize.

Hartnell and Simmonds have been crucial to our PP in the past as well and both of their games have seemingly fallen off cliffs. We don't have a big shot or many snipers for the most part so without them screening and getting deflections it's basically a bunch of passing at best with usually nothing coming as a result.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Sometimes Giroux makes some great passes and Lecavalier finishes well sometimes, but that's about all that's positive about our PP right now.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Peters is the same guy we lit up last year during the end of the year run, correct?

In the past, we've tended to light up Carolina regardless who was in net. That was when we were a decent team though.

Justin Peters is their third string goalie now (sometimes 2nd string in the past) so it wouldn't surprise me if we've lit him up before.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There's nothing wrong with a PP running through someone. Washington's PP is basically nothing but Ovechkin snipes but that doesn't stop them. The problem still just lays with everyone besides Lecavalier performing like crap on the PP and having no offensively capable D aside from Streit who doesn't even have a big blast to utilize.

Hartnell and Simmonds have been crucial to our PP in the past as well and both of their games have seemingly fallen off cliffs. We don't have a big shot or many snipers for the most part so without them screening and getting deflections it's basically a bunch of passing at best with usually nothing coming as a result.

Washington has everyone involved though. They'll actually try to stretch the PK out before getting it to OV or Green. They create open shooting lanes. The Flyers pass to Giroux. Then to Streit/Timonen. Then Giroux, then back to the point. Then it might briefly go to the other side, but everyone knows it's going back to the point and/or Giroux again.

Sometimes it gets dumped in, which has usually just been an excuse to watch Simmonds tumble around until Giroux gets the puck again.

Overall, the PK often has to put in minimal effort. Our PP kills itself.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
In the past, we've tended to light up Carolina regardless who was in net. That was when we were a decent team though.

Justin Peters is their third string goalie now (sometimes 2nd string in the past) so it wouldn't surprise me if we've lit him up before.

I'm pretty sure it was last year & the score was like 6-1 or something.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Luke again scratched, I don't mind if Berube is keeping players accountable for their play BUT do it acrossed the board Chief
And Luke hasn't been that bad to be scratched for two games, or has he and I not noticed?
Any who just win tonight

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Washington has everyone involved though. They'll actually try to stretch the PK out before getting it to OV or Green. They create open shooting lanes. The Flyers pass to Giroux. Then to Streit/Timonen. Then Giroux, then back to the point. Then it might briefly go to the other side, but everyone knows it's going back to the point and/or Giroux again.

Sometimes it gets dumped in, which has usually just been an excuse to watch Simmonds tumble around until Giroux gets the puck again.

Overall, the PK often has to put in minimal effort. Our PP kills itself.

lol that's what I said. Bunch of passing that usually doesn't result in anything.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I like Luke Schenn, but he has been pretty damn bad. He is making some really simple plays look extremely difficult at time. He has held onto the puck too long in a lot of situations, which usually results in him turning it over. His outlet passes have been dreadful too, sometimes hitting the other teams sticks perfectly.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Scratching Schenn or Gustafsson doesn't make sense. There's the overly simplistic thought that we won with the Meszaros-Gill pairing in the lineup so that explains Schenn albeit not explaining why he was scratched in the first place. Gustafsson was scratched before the NJ game though and he was doing well for us and producing points better then any of our other D so that makes even less sense then Schenn really.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You can really say that about any system though, not just the PP and PK.

Flyers need to do a better job fighting for the loose pucks, out numbering their opponent when up a man, and making better passes. Oh and shoot the damn puck when they have a chance. I am not saying other teams can't defend our PP better, I just think it's more the little things than the system. Also, they need to win faceoffs in the O zone when they begin the PP, drives me crazy.

Puck movement needs to be much better too, that opens the ice up big time.

You are right. PP's can't be formulaic because teams are so good at adapting... the same thing happens in football.

What really makes PP special in my opinon is a Dman that can be a threat from the point, and Players who are not isolated to one spot ( Unless you have your obligated net presence like a kunitz)

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Until Hartnell and/or Simmonds find some semblance of their games again we don't have any method of our PP working. Maybe some decent passing ability and the occasional terrific pass, but our finishing ability is sorely lacking (we don't have any highly notable goal scorers or snipers), any big point shots (at least from our D), or any reliable net presence.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Until Hartnell and/or Simmonds find some semblance of their games again we don't have any method of our PP working. Maybe some decent passing ability and the occasional terrific pass, but our finishing ability is sorely lacking (we don't have any highly notable goal scorers or snipers), any big point shots (at least from our D), or any reliable net presence.

In the past we've had Pronger to provide a powerful point shot, we've had notable goal scorers like Carter, and guys like Hartnell or Knuble have provided garbage goals or deflections.

We have nothing like that right now. Not without Hartnell and Simmonds doing anything positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad