Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Super Bowl LVIII (Barf!) and Beyond!

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Has a college quarterback ever had a bigger fall from grace than Spencer Rattler? Swear he was being talked about as a possible top pick a couple years ago

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm still trying to figure out how you can pay Kirk Cousins and then proceed to draft a 24/25 year old Penix Jr at 8th overall.

6 QBs in the top 12. Did not see that coming. A lot of people might be fired in two years.
I don’t know how people didn’t see 6 QB’s in the top half at least. The shock was the Falcons being one of the teams.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I don’t know how people didn’t see 6 QB’s in the top half at least. The shock was the Falcons being one of the teams.

People say this every single year. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

The most common line was 4.5 QBs in the first round at any point, albeit with the UNDER being better odds. Last year's draft's line was also 4.5, just weighted differently. But the line assumed that Hendon Hooker was the swing. Levis wasn't even in question. QBs get pushed up draft boards, but they also get talked up in draft media. I'm all for pointing out that draft betting is a soft market, but this particular aspect is not the easiest thing to parse.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Could be an interesting night. Lot of good players still on the board. Dejean, Powers-Johnson, McKinstry, Mitchell, Cooper, and Tampa to name a few. And of course because he's from Georgia I assume Bullard is in the mix for one of their picks tonight.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

The most common line was 4.5 QBs in the first round at any point, albeit with the UNDER being better odds. Last year's draft's line was also 4.5, just weighted differently. But the line assumed that Hendon Hooker was the swing. Levis wasn't even in question. QBs get pushed up draft boards, but they also get talked up in draft media. I'm all for pointing out that draft betting is a soft market, but this particular aspect is not the easiest thing to parse.
I was seeing 5 but that involved the 5th being Nix with a Broncos trade down. I followed a lot of Connor Rogers and he was the Penix stan. So I had a feeling Penix would go 1st round just not at 8 overall to the Falcons.

But it's never an exact science anyway. That's why I love the NFL draft.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I didn’t like Levis and didn’t see Hooker as a 1st with his injury, and still don’t know what his path to getting on the field is. Every draft class is different, and I am not a proponent of drafting a QB when you don’t need one. I also don’t like Maye or McCarthy, but with the Covid year still in play for this draft plus the transfer portal and NIL, QB’s will be incentivized to stay in school unless they’re going to be 1st round picks, and get the chance to develop better, while forcing teams to invest in your development. That got at least 4 of these guys higher in the draft than they otherwise would have.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yea just a function of we have absolutely nobody on the roster at LB...kinda the same with Safety. Blankenship and then noooobody.
Howie will grab someone over the summer that no on expects like he always does. I'd love them to take Cooper if he's there with their next pick. There's some decent guys they can get in the mid rounds too like Eichenberg and Trotter (gotta imagine they did their research on him).

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I will say, I did see a theory that is, if not reasonable, at least marginally defensible on the Penix front: The Falcons may be aware that they're going to lose picks next year (and if it's bad enough, maybe more than just that?) for tampering with Cousins, so they'd have to wait at least 2 years and hope they're in a position to draft a guy they like enough to be the QB of the future after Cousins.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Didn't see this posted but interesting tidbit about Jason Candle, HC Toledo. He and Sirianni were college roommates at Mt Union.
FHENbnqVgAEZ6it.png

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Matt Barkley in "recent" times.

QBs this century who didn't go in Round 1 and were talked about as potential Top 5 picks before or during their draft year, or even during the draft:

Kedon Slovis (not happening), Rattler, Will Levis, Malik Willis, Sam Howell, Drew Lock, DeShone Kizer, Chad Kelly, Christian Hackenburg, Logan Thomas, Zach Mettenberger, Matt Barkley, Jimmy Clausen, Colt McCoy, Brian Brohm, John David Booty, Drew Stanton, Matt Mauck, Dave Ragone, and Drew Henson.

That is quite the graveyard. I got burned the most on Brohm by far.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad