GDT: Game 14: Anaheim Ducks(7-4-3) @ Seattle Kraken(4-8-1) - 7:00 p.m. PT/ 10:00 p.m. ET

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
We turn the game quickly forward and do it as a five but defensively our five is not there.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
fir sure, though I’d argue the clock as well due to momentum. They still had it, no reason to pull for another minute.
Yeah. With the pressure we were generating AND the time left on the clock, there was no reason to pull the goalie. It is a one goal game and no reason to risk an ENG against. But even then, you need to be smart about when to pull the goalie. Not doing so without solid possession in the offensive zone, you are just asking for trouble.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The California teams were suppose to be weak...I think some players just were playing coy in 2020-21

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I know we go on about lack of high-end offense on this team, which is very true. But I feel like the main issues I am seeing are coaching and goaltending.

The team does not really play with a system regularly enough. I want to say their identity is that of a checking team that plays a possession game. But the last 2 games have not looked like that. The third period today is the only time they played to their 'identity'. The coach needs to instill a mentality that our zone should be cleared out with quick short passes. There should be enough support to do that. Similarly, hound the puck carrier in the offensive zone to create turnovers. Screen the goalie by being an annoying net-front presence.

And as far as goalie issues go, I think if the coach can do the above it will sort itself out. We have 3 NHL level goalies in Daccord, Gru and Driedger. Not to excuse them for their soft goals but no way would all 3 be batting under .900 if they had a system playing in front of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad