GDT: Game 14: Anaheim Ducks(7-4-3) @ Seattle Kraken(4-8-1) - 7:00 p.m. PT/ 10:00 p.m. ET

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I know we go on about lack of high-end offense on this team, which is very true. But I feel like the main issues I am seeing are coaching and goaltending.

The team does not really play with a system regularly enough. I want to say their identity is that of a checking team that plays a possession game. But the last 2 games have not looked like that. The third period today is the only time they played to their 'identity'. The coach needs to instill a mentality that our zone should be cleared out with quick short passes. There should be enough support to do that. Similarly, hound the puck carrier in the offensive zone to create turnovers. Screen the goalie by being an annoying net-front presence.

And as far as goalie issues go, I think if the coach can do the above it will sort itself out. We have 3 NHL level goalies in Daccord, Gru and Driedger. Not to excuse them for their soft goals but no way would all 3 be batting under .900 if they had a system playing in front of them.

Don't blame it all on the darn coaching and goalie. Its not their fault our D is being very very inconstantly MEH.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Hard to get consistent when the coach puts out different lines nearly every game. The lines tonight produced goals but they weren’t often good team efforts, except the Eberle goal. Just McCann and Schwartz takin dudes to school.

That's i agree with. But defensively though that's no excuse to leave the goalie out to dry like that.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Don't blame it all on the darn coaching and goalie. Its not their fault our D is being very very inconstantly MEH.
It is hard to think of an area of the team that is not at fault. Goaltending has been lousy, the D inconsistent and error prone at critical times, and the offense virtually non-existent beyond two or three players. The coach makes decisions that don't seem well thought out and the ever shifting line combinations make it hard for players to sort their responsibilities out. And we have one blue chip prospect and not much help in the minors. Then there is the GM who is responsible for putting together this crew in the first place. Things have to improve, but when and how are open questions.

Reactions: Toomany7pins

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The Kraken are very poorly run. Francis is a terrible GM and Hakstol is not only terrible but also predictable. It pains me to see the Kraken get this kind of start, they deserve so much better for the first ever season.

I mean, if they were going to be bad at least build like Vegas did by stocking up on draft picks/prospects. But again, I don't know if they got ready to not be screwed over similar to how Vegas screwed over most teams, well... now all teams.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If Francis is the same GM he was in Carolina don't expect too many moves to shake things up. I think he just let's this season play out and then replaces Hakstol in the offseason. He's clearly not working as an NHL head coach but no need to dump him now when the team doesn't seem like they have a playoff roster especially when the division is looking better than thought. I would also expect him to just sell off guys who won't be back next season most likely Johansson, Jankrok, Sheahan and possibly Giordano, think they may try to extend him with no other LD really attempting to take his spot as the top LD. Needs to make a decision on McCann as well, would be best to lock him up now at a decent price, think 5x5 is totally acceptable for him especially if he keeps this play up.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
By the trade deadline I'd be trading 3 of the D-men for futures while also discarding 3-4 forwards! Then GM Francis needs to address the teams weaknesses in UFA and get his guys! Scouring the European Leagues for fill ins would also be a good idea

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
If Francis is the same GM he was in Carolina don't expect too many moves to shake things up. I think he just let's this season play out and then replaces Hakstol in the offseason. He's clearly not working as an NHL head coach but no need to dump him now when the team doesn't seem like they have a playoff roster especially when the division is looking better than thought. I would also expect him to just sell off guys who won't be back next season most likely Johansson, Jankrok, Sheahan and possibly Giordano, think they may try to extend him with no other LD really attempting to take his spot as the top LD. Needs to make a decision on McCann as well, would be best to lock him up now at a decent price, think 5x5 is totally acceptable for him especially if he keeps this play up.
Signing McCann is paramount as for the rest sell,trade,castoff,release

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I know we go on about lack of high-end offense on this team, which is very true. But I feel like the main issues I am seeing are coaching and goaltending.

The team does not really play with a system regularly enough. I want to say their identity is that of a checking team that plays a possession game. But the last 2 games have not looked like that. The third period today is the only time they played to their 'identity'. The coach needs to instill a mentality that our zone should be cleared out with quick short passes. There should be enough support to do that. Similarly, hound the puck carrier in the offensive zone to create turnovers. Screen the goalie by being an annoying net-front presence.

And as far as goalie issues go, I think if the coach can do the above it will sort itself out. We have 3 NHL level goalies in Daccord, Gru and Driedger. Not to excuse them for their soft goals but no way would all 3 be batting under .900 if they had a system playing in front of them.

I could not agree more about both the coaching and goaltending. I am getting especially concerned about the coaching and what Flyer fans were saying about Hakstol. I think that can be part of the goaltending issue. I don't see any kind of system (maybe someone with more hockey knowledge can tell me what they are trying to do) with way too many defensive breakdowns. I thought the defense would be a strength.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
It is hard to think of an area of the team that is not at fault. Goaltending has been lousy, the D inconsistent and error prone at critical times, and the offense virtually non-existent beyond two or three players. The coach makes decisions that don't seem well thought out and the ever shifting line combinations make it hard for players to sort their responsibilities out. And we have one blue chip prospect and not much help in the minors. Then there is the GM who is responsible for putting together this crew in the first place. Things have to improve, but when and how are open questions.
This is what is called the growing pains of an expansion team. Players by seasons end will sort themselves out. Some will be gone,released,traded,discarded but most will stay

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Well, the Ducks are an exciting young team with a lot of confidence right now while our guys are getting worse and worse.

Goaltending is really frustrating, especially for the goalie himself.
Grubi was the only reason we were even in this game after the first period but of course that fourth goal is one he should have.
Still, he got absolutely no help at all given that the Ducks where either able to screen everything in front of him(3rd and 5th), shot it through the legs of Giordano(I think it was even slightly deflected) or going in odd man rushes on goal.

I think Hakstol needs to look in the mirror and realize that this roster can not outscore other teams and needs to play a more defensive minded game, if trying to win games is actually the goal for this season.

If not than I hope Francis is able to admit that this roster isn't all that great and makes a couple of trades and/or uses the cap space left to take on contracts/be the third team to aquire more draft picks.

BTW: I guess I'm now officially the GTD tank commander going 0-3 so far....

Reactions: brewski420

Quackenator

Mar 6, 2018
Poulsbo, Wa
Went to the game in my ducks gear and had a blast. McCann and schwartz were my standouts for the kraken. They really aren’t meshing with each other yet and it’s majority sloppy play. Hopefully things come together for the kraken sooner than later but as a ducks fan it was great to see Getz still be dominat. Gibson was not that great but the krakens shots were pretty nice too.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At the start of the season, Vegas still had 11 players from their inaugural roster still on the team. Doubt we come close to matching that.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
At the start of the season, Vegas still had 11 players from their inaugural roster still on the team. Doubt we come close to matching that.
Matching that when? Next season for 2-3 seasons from this one?

These are the players I expect to be in longer (2+) term plans:

Schwartz
Eberle
McCann
Wennberg
Tanev
Atleast 1 of Appleton or Geekie

Dunn
Larsson
Oleksiak
2 of Fleury, Lauzon or Soucy.

Grubauer

I expect Driedger to be moved at some time IF he can bounce back and get some good stats.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Open for discussion.

1. Larsson in the only Right Handed shot defenseman to dress for the Kraken.
2. The team is on pace for 60 points. Losing four of their past 5. Through 14 games, they are 4-9-1.
3. The Kraken next 7 games are against the Wild, Blackhawks, Avalanche, Capitals, Hurricanes,, Lightning , and Panthers.
Can they win two of them? At the 20 game point, the Kraken might be around 10 or 11 points.
4. Presently not one Kraken defenseman is positive in the plus / minus rating.
5. The Kraken have a 47.4% faceoff win percentage, 4th worst in the league.
6. Tarasenko in 12 games has 5 goals and 7 assists and 43 shots on goal. Playing third line minutes.
7. How bad would this team be without Grubauer? GMRF was close to going with Vanecek, Dreidger, and Daccord.
8. Just what is the Kraken identity? Seriously, it's not a 200 foot game. It's not defensive or offensive. It's not full of talented youth,
nor is it a heavy team to play against. Certainly, it's not being built with extra draft picks. Maybe at best it's a work in progress.
9. Does the team have a pure scorer or #1 center?
10. Which players have performed above expectations and which have disappointed?
11. When does GMRF and Hakstol free pass run out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad