Game #10 : Kings vs. Flames - 10/21/13 - Regulation Loss 3-2

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Why is Dwight King on the PK....he was out of position/burnt on two of the three PP goals. I seriously dont see what Sutter sees in this guy.

I agree. Him just standing in front of Quick on that last goal was hilarious. Give me any other forward short of maybe Fraser out there in that situation.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
We struggle goals because our best players (bar one), the guys who wouldn't be going anywhere, don't put the puck in the net. It's as simple as that and it has nothing to do with the system, Toffoli, Pearson, or any of that crap.

Of course, it does. Having as much offensive depth in the lineup can help the production of our players. If the opposition don't have to worry about our bottom 6 offensively, then they can just focus on shutting down our best guys. We don't have depth right now and it's hurting our best players' performances.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Nothing wrong with the Kopi penalty. But the two missed sticks to the face, especially the one with the ref standing two feet away, were awful.

Cochese

Mar 14, 2008
I would feel a little bit better about the officiating had at least one of the high sticks been called on the flames, they were not, but them's the breaks.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Can't blame the refs on this one. We played irresponsibly, and deserved the loss.

Toffoli, Deslaurier, AA and Pearson are the players I'd like to see in a kings uni sometime soon.

These two things aren't mutually exclusive, though. I agree with you. Play with fire, get burned. Doesn't mean the reffing wasn't uneven/inconsistent/a total wack job.

Ultimately these things even out over the course of the season and you can see tonight why the Kings succeed when the whistles start getting put away (or at least used on both sides); one of the biggest, heaviest teams in the league just manhandles people.

I'm not going to pretend i'm not upset that I think the Kings got the short end of the stick, though. They COULD have killed one more penalty, but they shouldn't have had to when there were plenty of should-calls on the Flames (and not the subjective kind, the automatic, high sticking kind).

Overall, not worried. Players look like they're back on track and tonight was a good sign because you KNOW the penalties thing will be straightened out.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Of course, it does. Having as much offensive depth in the lineup can help the production of our players. If the opposition don't have to worry about our bottom 6 offensively, then they can just focus on shutting down our best guys. We don't have depth right now and it's hurting our best players' performances.

That's a myth, every team is still going to put top checkers and Defenders on the tops six at all times.

They are never going to cover bottom six players.

But the bottom six should, contribute more.

FootKnight

This ****ing team
May 28, 2007
I wish they would give Toffoli a shot on that line.

I'd like to see Frattin or Carcillo back up there even. King just has so little offensive creativity. Not entirely sure why King is still on the PK either, I thought it was just a "playing well right now" thing in the other game, but he's sticking there for some reason.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.

We have depth...it's just one dimensional...
Overall, pleased with Carcillo and Frattin, but we had a few breaks where we should have scored but didn't. Them's the bounces...

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I'd like to see Frattin or Carcillo back up there even. King just has so little offensive creativity. Not entirely sure why King is still on the PK either, I thought it was just a "playing well right now" thing in the other game, but he's sticking there for some reason.

Taking Brown's PK minutes, Cause they are trying to cut Brown's minutes(injury).

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It was a Penalty, but Refs can make judgment calls, they had just gave the Kings Six straight PK's. I think Kopi has earned a call here or there.

Tap's on the hand happen all game long, that's all I am saying.

Fair enough, I was not a huge fan of either the Carter or Carcillo penalties, but the ones on Kopitar and Regehr are going to be called more often than not.

I just find it funny the way people react to obvious penalties on this board, I swear if we had this board around in 1998 people probably would have said Matty J's sucker punch was clean, or a dive.

There is no vendetta against the Kings by the refs, Bettman, the Toronto war room etc. All the bad calls even out over an 82 game season.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011

I will never understand Sutter's love for King. He's a great 4th liner, nothing more. How many times does he need to be in the top-6 until Sutter realizes it doesn't work.

Oh Snap

Very Wet Island
Jan 21, 2008
California, USA
Jeez you know the Flames have been a disaster for a while when their fans are clamouring at the chance to post on the Kings board after an October win

Lol right? 10 games in the season and this is how they act because their team isn't in the cellar again? Some of those fans are going to be in for a very rude awakening as the season progresses.

Edit: Congrats to the fastest team to win the Stanley Cup, The 2013-2014 Calgary Flames! Only 8 games!

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Frattin looked better, but he needs to put the puck in the net.

Or bring up Toffoli. He was pretty physical, that was good.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Jeez you know the Flames have been a disaster for a while when their fans are clamouring at the chance to post on the Kings board after an October win

We won't hear a peep from them once they're eliminated for making the post season in late Feb.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
First game in which I noticed Frattin. I have to wonder why it took a HS before he decided to throw his body around...

I have no idea why Nolan was a HS. He's been one of my favorite kings this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad