GDT: Game 10: Columbus Blue Jackets v.LA Kings

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
In all, much less confidence, decisiveness and purpose than in the Detroit game. Is that a function of something LA does? Is it a matchup thing? Is it simply on the Jackets not being fully engaged?

I think some of that was on the Jackets last night, honestly, didn't have any fire after the LA goal on the first shift of the second period. They are fragile, they feel defeated easily. Instead of responding after some of the unfortunate events (Dubinsky hit, Great saves by Quick), they play with their tail between their legs the rest of the night. Some of that is to be expected with so many kids out there, but there are plenty of guys who are fully capable of being leaders who seem afraid to take hold of that role when things go poorly: making the job of deciding on a captain a lot easier at least.

All that being said, LA isn't the kind of team we are built to win against. They play a lot like the Blues with the way they forecheck and scrum the puck up against the boards. The third period was irrelevant. They knew we couldn't get any shots so they were happy in just grinding us out with board play and dump and chase hockey. In that way, this game was extremely reminiscent of the debacle against St. Louis last Thursday.

All we can hope for is that Dubinsky isn't suspended for too long, our injured guys get healthy soon, and the rest keep games respectable until then. Go Flames on Thursday!

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I hate to be that guy, but I'm awfully surprised how upset people are about a 3-6-1 start. What exactly were your expectations?

Just noticing this because another quoted you. I am not upset we are losing. I am concerned with how we are losing. Honestly I am not all that pleased with the job Richards is doing either.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Honestly I am not all that pleased with the job Richards is doing either.

I don't think our coaching staff has the faintest clue of how to motivate guys to play for 60 minutes, it's all talk and no results. Nor do they have any idea how to get the guys to run a powerplay in the other team's end. I don't even care if it's effective at this point, just in the other team's end.

I know a lot of our failures has to do with the lack of talent on this team, especially after all these injuries, some of it has to do with a lack of passion and effort, but just as the players need to be held responsible, someone first needs to hold the coaches responsible. I still believe in Richards, I have to say I was expecting more from him, but he is still better than that clown Scott Arneil.

So unfortunate that we were not willing to give Claude Noel another year to try his best with this team. Not implying the results would have been different, but man was the Arneil era dark, and its effects are still being felt unfortunately.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I still believe in Richards, I have to say I was expecting more from him, but he is still better than that clown Scott Arneil.

I wouldn't say that I have ever believed in Richards, however he is better than Arniel. Man was that guy just aweful. The stories I could tell about that guy...

So unfortunate that we were not willing to give Claude Noel another year to try his best with this team. Not implying the results would have been different, but man was the Arneil era dark, and its effects are still being felt unfortunately.

I am not sure avoiding Arniel is justification enough for Noel. While Arniel is just bad and a complete jerk, Noel is a walking joke. As a player I would have a real hard time talking that guy seriously. From what I can tell Noel is a great guy, but man is he waaaay out there and his post games interviews are just baffling. I am really not ready for Zen hockey in Columbus.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Vinny was bad, but he wasn't alone. He was joined by Johansen, Anisimov, Umberger, Savard. Guys looked tired out there, slow and listless. Artem the most egregious of the bunch until he seemed to get a jump late.

A case could be made Brassard was the best of the forwards, with Foligno and Letestu next in line. DMac worked hard but, as always, was a mixed bag.

Erixon looked competent in the offensive zone, less so in his own end. Holden and Golo looked like call-ups in their first game. What are you going to do? They didn't look out of their element or overwhelmed but that's about the best you can say right now.

Dubinsky should not be suspended. Not even sure what was up with the game misconducts. What he did is always going to be a penalty, and I'm all for protecting the players, but there needs to be some allowance for how that play went down. Dubi was with him all the way down the ice and Scuderi goes in low. The player knows the play is to "finish your check," it's tough to let up on short notice. I guess if we're talking about player safety first, then you've got to come down hard to set an example, but I don't think harsher penalties are going to keep plays like that from happening, because they're within the flow of the game. Whatever. No suspension is warranted, IMO. Make is a one-gamer if you absolutely must.

Why does Mason have such difficulty catching? Does he have small hands? Is his glove too big? Does he have some lingering issue with his hand or wrist that hampers his ability to catch? Is "high glove" just in his head? I think that last point is too simple an assessment.

Why does this team historically not score on rebounds but give up goals on rebounds? This goes beyond goalie play. Forwards struggle to "bang home" pucks, while our defensemen struggle to keep opposing forwards from doing the same. Is that an issue of shoulder strength? Legs? I see the team make good stick plays in open ice, so I would say it's not hands, but I don't know. Is it the elusive "puck poise"? Is it "Hockey IQ," isasmuch as knowing where to look for loose pucks?

I like the pressure being applied on the PK. On the other hand, I'm not really sure what they're trying to do on the PP.

In all, much less confidence, decisiveness and purpose than in the Detroit game. Is that a function of something LA does? Is it a matchup thing? Is it simply on the Jackets not being fully engaged?

The team is going to lose games. I have accepted that from the start. Nonetheless, there are things that can and should be addressed.

Thanks, DSL, a good analysis and pertinent questions raised.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Just noticing this because another quoted you. I am not upset we are losing. I am concerned with how we are losing. Honestly I am not all that pleased with the job Richards is doing either.

Richards has a job because of the team not wanting to spend money on a coach during the lockout.
Hopefully new management will decide to hire a good coach, instead of the cheapest one we can find.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Vinny was bad, but he wasn't alone. He was joined by Johansen, Anisimov, Umberger, Savard. Guys looked tired out there, slow and listless. Artem the most egregious of the bunch until he seemed to get a jump late.

A case could be made Brassard was the best of the forwards, with Foligno and Letestu next in line. DMac worked hard but, as always, was a mixed bag.

Erixon looked competent in the offensive zone, less so in his own end. Holden and Golo looked like call-ups in their first game. What are you going to do? They didn't look out of their element or overwhelmed but that's about the best you can say right now.

Dubinsky should not be suspended. Not even sure what was up with the game misconducts. What he did is always going to be a penalty, and I'm all for protecting the players, but there needs to be some allowance for how that play went down. Dubi was with him all the way down the ice and Scuderi goes in low. The player knows the play is to "finish your check," it's tough to let up on short notice. I guess if we're talking about player safety first, then you've got to come down hard to set an example, but I don't think harsher penalties are going to keep plays like that from happening, because they're within the flow of the game. Whatever. No suspension is warranted, IMO. Make is a one-gamer if you absolutely must.

Why does Mason have such difficulty catching? Does he have small hands? Is his glove too big? Does he have some lingering issue with his hand or wrist that hampers his ability to catch? Is "high glove" just in his head? I think that last point is too simple an assessment.

Why does this team historically not score on rebounds but give up goals on rebounds? This goes beyond goalie play. Forwards struggle to "bang home" pucks, while our defensemen struggle to keep opposing forwards from doing the same. Is that an issue of shoulder strength? Legs? I see the team make good stick plays in open ice, so I would say it's not hands, but I don't know. Is it the elusive "puck poise"? Is it "Hockey IQ," isasmuch as knowing where to look for loose pucks?

I like the pressure being applied on the PK. On the other hand, I'm not really sure what they're trying to do on the PP.

The team is going to lose games. I have accepted that from the start. Nonetheless, there are things that can and should be addressed.

So if you were to stack rank the blueline from this game's performance, would that look something like this?

1. Johnson
  2. Tyutin
  3. Erixon
  4. Golo
  5. Holden
  6. Savard

BTW, here are there numbers from the game:

NO. PLAYER POS G A P +/- PIM S HITS BKS GVA TKA FO% TOI
7 J. JOHNSON D 0 0 0 -1 0 0 2 3 0 0 - 34:13
51 F. TYUTIN D 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 - 26:46
20 T. ERIXON D 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 - 16:04
48 C. GOLOUBEF D 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 - 15:37
29 N. HOLDEN D 0 0 0 -1 0 2 1 0 2 0 - 8:49
58 D. SAVARD D 0 0 0 -2 0 0 1 1 0 0 - 14:31

Matt

Jul 30, 2006
You can't pin this one on the defense callups. They played well as a whole.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So if you were to stack rank the blueline from this game's performance, would that look something like this?

1. Johnson
  2. Tyutin
  3. Erixon
  4. Golo
  5. Holden
  6. Savard

BTW, here are there numbers from the game:

NO. PLAYER POS G A P +/- PIM S HITS BKS GVA TKA FO% TOI
7 J. JOHNSON D 0 0 0 -1 0 0 2 3 0 0 - 34:13
51 F. TYUTIN D 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 - 26:46
20 T. ERIXON D 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 - 16:04
48 C. GOLOUBEF D 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 - 15:37
29 N. HOLDEN D 0 0 0 -1 0 2 1 0 2 0 - 8:49
58 D. SAVARD D 0 0 0 -2 0 0 1 1 0 0 - 14:31

I'm not ranking anyone. That's not how I assess player performance. Not intended to be a copout. Also intended to be an overview, not a detailed analysis. Stats kinda backup what I saw - which admittedly isn't always the case.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Hopefully you were able to take advantage of the self directed upgrade. I once was able to upgrade to the glass.

On a side note, I once got tossed from Gordon Gee's seats at an OSU bb game.

I'm not as aggressive as you. Gordon Gee's seats:devdance: Good stuff. No, I generally sit up at the top in the middle. Sat right under GMSH last night. Noticed a few comments going his direction. :laugh:

Where on earth are you parking for free on the street? Are there still meters in Columbus that end at 6:00?

High (3rd) and 4rth Streets and some of the cross streets in the vicinity of Chestnut have meters that aren't required after 6. It's a bit desolate at times there, but I've never felt unsafe. Also, my car isn't exactly one which attracts much attention. At least positive attention for those who might be "searching" for something:laugh:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Thanks, DSL, a good analysis and pertinent questions raised.

Thanks, pete.

Anyone who'd like to tackle any of the aforementioned questions, have at it. That's why I phrased them as questions (I swear, Alex Trebek had nothing to do with it). And thanks to those who've weighed in thus far.

Summary of questions (please see my suggested possible explanations in the earlier post):

Why can't Mason catch?

Why does the team struggle to score on rebounds, close in especially? Yet also struggle to keep other teams from doing the same?

What's responsible for the difference in the team's play from DET game to last night?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Why does the team struggle to score on rebounds, close in especially? Yet also struggle to keep other teams from doing the same?

-Umberger having even below-average hands would help immensely.
-Mason and Bob will never win awards for their amazing rebound control. The defense can't clear the rebounds out every time.

What's responsible for the difference in the team's play from DET game to last night?

-Thought the team played really well till Dubinsky got thrown out. That counts for something.
-Johnson and Tyutin can't average 30 minutes a night without showing some decline in play.
-Detroit looked extremely worn down from the game against St. Louis the night before.
-LA is a far better team than Detroit.
-And the main reason... They just aren't that good.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
-Umberger having even below-average hands would help immensely.

If it truly is that simple, I'm OK with it. I just don't think it is. Is there a shoulder or leg strength issue? Is there a hockey IQ issue?

-Mason and Bob will never win awards for their amazing rebound control. The defense can't clear the rebounds out every time.

Indeed this is true. I was verbally crapping on Mason for this very thing last night. But once it's happened... again, is there a possible strength of hockey IQ issue?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
If it truly is that simple, I'm OK with it. I just don't think it is. Is there a shoulder or leg strength issue? Is there a hockey IQ issue?

It's a skills issue. He (and Dorsett) have really bad cases of Chimera-itis, a disease for which there's no known cure. Compound the lack of skills with a general inability to get the puck down low on the power play and you've got a big problem on your hands.

Indeed this is true. I was verbally crapping on Mason for this very thing last night. But once it's happened... again, is there a possible strength of hockey IQ issue?

Once again, it's a skills issue. No goalie is ever going to hold onto 100% of the shots against him. You've just got to count on the defense tying up the man/clearing the rebound in time. This also will never happen 100% of the time.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thanks, pete.

Anyone who'd like to tackle any of the aforementioned questions, have at it. That's why I phrased them as questions (I swear, Alex Trebek had nothing to do with it). And thanks to those who've weighed in thus far.

Alex would have given the answers (with an air of smugness) and we would have to ask the question

Summary of questions (please see my suggested possible explanations in the earlier post):

Why can't Mason catch?

I think it is a number of things:

We don't generate as many rebounds because many of our shots come from afar and are easy stops for the goalie (and other teams goalies are better than ours)

We seldom are in position to take advantage although it seems this year we are a bit better at this

We don't have the greatest assembly of good hands players

We don't shoot the puck well even when we get a rebound

I think LA is a better team even though they have been struggling; Detroit looks spent. Heck, Calgary blew them out last night. And as for the Jackets effort, I think it is extremely hard to make up for talent deficiencies with 100% effort every single night. Also Mase wasn't as sharp so that could have deflated team.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Not sure what anyone saw in Goloubef is this game to give him any kind of free pass. To me it seemed like he was standing still as Kings would blow right by him.

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
Don't remember which goal, and I don't know if that's what Bleed was talking about, but that's how I saw it, yes.

watch the replay, the first point shot hit him and went to the other point man who blasted it. Its a bang-bang play that happens in seconds so wouldn't say that is a bail-out...but you either have to block it or get out of the way for the goalie to see it and I think that was probably what he was trying to do. I thought Holden was the only defenseman that actually tried to hit anyone last night so dissappointed he wasn't played more in place of Savard who was clearly struggling and Erixon who doesn't have a clue where to be in his own end.

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
TOI is a good indicator of how the coaches rank them.

Keep in mind everyone that of the 6 defensemen dressed last night, only 2 were right-handed shots (Savard and Goloubef) which might explain their ice-time. Most defensemen would agree that it is more difficult for them to play the "off-wing" and perhaps this is why Savard kept getting put out there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad