GDT: Game 10: Columbus Blue Jackets v.LA Kings

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
IMO Johansen hasn't looked good for a while.

He's in over his skis and needs to head back to Springfield. He has actually regressed as far as his production this year versus last. He's at 1 point/5 games where last year he had approximately 1 every 3. Not a single goal at this point.

He's averaged a solid 15 minutes of ice time, so it isn't as if he hasn't had his chances.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Just got back from the game. Thoughts:
Brassard, Letestu, Calvert, Foligno, JJ were the best players.
Goloubef did better than I expected.
Savard is my boy, but god damn was he awful. At least 2 goals were his fault.
Dubi is a ****ing idiot.
Mase was average.
Quick had some damn nice saves.
Too many times on dump ins, the puck didn't get nearly deep enough.
Overall, played like trash.
Scoreboards cool though :laugh:

I too just got back from the game. My two cents:

Goloubef and Savard looked overmatched at times.

The Kings looked stronger with and without the puck tonight

Our offense is offensive. We have no firepower. Zip, nada, none. Scoring two goals a night ain't going to cut it.

For this team to contend we need better goaltending, night in and night out. We don't have it. Maybe we get it from Bob, maybe Mase gets hot, but our play in the net is average.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
He's in over his skis and needs to head back to Springfield. He has actually regressed as far as his production this year versus last. He's at 1 point/5 games where last year he had approximately 1 every 3. Not a single goal at this point.

He's averaged a solid 15 minutes of ice time, so it isn't as if he hasn't had his chances.

:shakehead

Typical.

Guy has been one of the best forwards on the roster, has one bad game, and is immediately being written off the team.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Johan was 89% in face offs...seems pretty good to me

just overmatched tonight...i think some of the guys cared more about the emotion of Carter being here than playing the game...

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
hey guys. just curious here as to what your goaltending situation is.

is mason your number 1? or your backup. just saw the highlights for your game tonight, he doesn't seem very strong

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Johansen has been out best forward defensively and on the Faceoff dot. Even tonight where he had what is probably his worst game of the season he was more physical than last year and had the best face off percentage of any player (.889).

Johansen is a playmaker and needs finishers/snipers to be effective, which are sorely lacking on this team. Granted he needs to be more willing to shoot/create his own chances, but these are things that come with time. If you go back an look at criticism of Thornton in his first couple of years you'll see similar complaints. He hasn't even played a full season as an NHL center and is already looking great in some of the most difficult areas of development (face offs, Defensive zone play). We need to back away from the panic button and let the 20 YEAR OLD continue to develop against the best competition in the world.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Johansen has been out best forward defensively and on the Faceoff dot. Even tonight where he had what is probably his worst game of the season he was more physical than last year and had the best face off percentage of any player (.889).

Johansen is a playmaker and needs finishers/snipers to be effective, which are sorely lacking on this team. Granted he needs to be more willing to shoot/create his own chances, but these are things that come with time. If you go back an look at criticism of Thornton in his first couple of years you'll see similar complaints. He hasn't even played a full season as an NHL center and is already looking great in some of the most difficult areas of development (face offs, Defensive zone play). We need to back away from the panic button and let the 20 YEAR OLD continue to develop against the best competition in the world.

Johansen needs to have Cam back from IR. They need to be paired together upon return.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Johansen needs to have Cam back from IR. They need to be paired together upon return.

Agreed, personally, I think they should use a kid line (i know generally not a good idea) as Johansen, Atkinson, and Calvert's games mesh well. Playmaker, sniper, and a speedy grinder type player.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Alpha, the NHL is not a developmental league, but the AHL is. RyJo should have been in Juniors last year and AHL all of this year. Clearly he is overmatched.
When you pick a guy 4th overall it's not for faceoffs. He needs to start putting up some points.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Alpha, the NHL is not a developmental league, but the AHL is. RyJo should have been in Juniors last year and AHL all of this year. Clearly he is overmatched.
When you pick a guy 4th overall it's not for faceoffs. He needs to start putting up some points.

The Oilers developed Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Hall, Schultz, and Gagner in the NHL. Why can't we with Joey?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
of all the forwards, it's surprising to see so much discussion about Joey. He's the least of this team's issues, IMO.

It's 10 games now...time to talk about WTF is up with RJ (and I'm a fan). He was the worst player on the ice tonight, and it pains me to say it.

The kids on D weren't really all that bad on D, save Savard, but where they really suffered was puck movement and management. Zigging when their partner zagged, and so forth. Not a great thing to have issues with that against a good forechecking team.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Well, mainly because the Oilers know how to develop and the Blue Jackets do not. I would be pretty nervous about our prospects not turning out how we hoped. Been that way for 12 years.

Oh, for ****'s sake.

Eberle - Back to junior for two years, then full-time in the NHL at 20
Nugent-Hopkins - In the NHL at 18
Yakupov - In the NHL at 18
Hall - In the NHL at 18
Gagner - In the NHL at 18
Schultz - Signed as a free agent, Edmonton had nothing to do with his development

And people think I revise history.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Oh, for ****'s sake.

Eberle - Back to junior for two years, then full-time in the NHL at 20
Nugent-Hopkins - In the NHL at 18
Yakupov - In the NHL at 18
Hall - In the NHL at 18
Gagner - In the NHL at 18
Schultz - Signed as a free agent, Edmonton had nothing to do with his development

And people think I revise history.

That top 4 is better than any player we have. I'm jealous.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Well, mainly because the Oilers know how to develop and the Blue Jackets do not. I would be pretty nervous about our prospects not turning out how we hoped. Been that way for 12 years.

The Oilers are a constant Lottery team, they don't know how to develop anything but Losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad