GDT: Game 10: Columbus Blue Jackets v.LA Kings

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
That top 4 is better than any player we have. I'm jealous.

That's what happens when you pick up a succession of #1 overall picks, or convince the NHL's version of Terrelle Pryor (Schultz) to come along. The only actual scouting that they had to do was on Eberle, and I'm sure they'd admit to being extremely lucky on that one.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
Hey guys, I didn't see a Wisniewski thread, has there been any news on him? I know he got a concussion but any word on how serious or basically any info at all? Thanks.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Not calling a clean hipcheck.

It happened 4 years ago. Move on.

I agree he has to move on, but that was not a clean hit, in any sense.
Going for someone's knees is clipping. Clipping is a penalty. A check that should result in a penalty is not clean.

Now carry on with the scapegoating

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
There's a lot to like about Blue Jackets hockey.

Where else can you park on the street for nothing and have a perfectly safe six or seven minute walk to a ticket window with no line and buy a seat for $10 and sit in what is close to your own personal section? The anthem singer is competent and quick (no "American Idol" influence in his performance) and the crowd greets him by name. The rest rooms are clean, there are no lines and the concession stands take about 3 minutes to navigate. The fans are generally well behaved and enthusiastic when they have the rare reason to be. The greatest players in the world are at Nationwide Arena night in and night out. They just happen to play for the other teams.

And then there is Steve Mason. He whiffs on two point shots and is gifted with a dubious no goal call on one of them. He gives up a chip shot goal when he allows his short side to have room when the shooter had no other option of where to shoot. It's too bad a certain GM just can't get over 2009. The Jackets need NHL quality goaltending to even have a chance of being competitive. Mason is not an NHL goaltender anymore. It's a shame that he continues to be allowed to masquerade as one. A good goalie having a good game last night would have given the Jackets a fighting chance to get a point or two despite being outplayed.

Johansen may have had a decent night in the FO circle, but was invisible save for one nice pass. Prospal, as mentioned, looked his age. The power play was nothing short of ghastly. Asinimov took the night off-at least that's how it appeared to me.

Brassard picked it up a bit tonight which was nice to see. It's always cool to see a backhand goal of over a few feet. My hero Umberger actually made a few nice passes and had at least two good scoring opportunities. Getting dumped to the third line may have gotten his attention at least a little bit. He actually had a little jump in his step at times, I thought. Bad penalty at the end, but those things do happen.

3-6-1. 4 points in the last 8 games. I wonder how long JD is going to tolerate this? If the Jackets end up not getting some points in the last 3 games of this homestand, I would not at all be surprised if some sort of shake up will happen- whether it be with players or management. I would hope that JD starts making accountability a real part of the Blue Jackets culture sooner rather than later. Enough is enough.

In any case, I look forward to free parking and $10 seats to watch an exciting and up and coming Edmonton Oilers team on Sunday at Nationwide.

Last edited:

Hugg

Aug 2, 2005
Columbus
I hate to be that guy, but I'm awfully surprised how upset people are about a 3-6-1 start. What exactly were your expectations?

I thought we all knew this team wasn't going to be very good this year and that this is a building year. We've never really had one of those, we've just stunk. Losing and rebuilding/building aren't the same thing. We've been losing, not building. There actually seems to be a plan in place now, but I thought it was fairly obvious that the talent level right now, at this moment, wasn't really going to do much.

And when you factor in that we're missing half our defense now, I feel like a game like tonight is pretty much exactly what to expect.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

In any case, I look forward to free parking and $10 seats to watch an exciting and up and coming Edmonton Oilers team on Sunday at Nationwide.

Hopefully you were able to take advantage of the self directed upgrade. I once was able to upgrade to the glass.

On a side note, I once got tossed from Gordon Gee's seats at an OSU bb game.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
@TSNBobMcKenzie: ...I would expect CBJ's Brandon Dubinsky will have hearing with @NHLPlayerSafety for his boarding major on LAK's Rob Scuderi.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The 2nd period is among the worst I've seen. Did we even get a SOG after Brassard's goal?
Just total lack of effort in that part.
Rest of the game we were ok given what we have (4 of our d-men out).

LA is an odd team. Plenty of talent offensively, a real good goalie, but just not sure how good they are. I guess they are missing a couple d-men.
I guess like last year if they can slide into the back end of the playoffs they will be a team noone wants to play, but overall I just can't see them being a consistent team.

Mason wasn't good last night. Probably go back to Bob on Thursday and let him play behind whatever 6 guys we have to play d-men that night.

And where everyone expected our record to be. A below average hockey team gets to .500 (with 3 point games). A playoff level team gets almost 1.1 points per game. We have 7 points in 10 games - over a regular 82 game season that's on pace to be 57 points. That is a very bad team. I thought we would be bad but just short of .500 hockey bad. Maybe you could be ok with 3-6-1 if we had 7 road games but we've had a lot of home games and you should be betting your points at home.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
If the lottery was today...we' d have 3 of top 9 picks....:)

or 3 of top 10 after losing draft lottery and a team leapfrogs us.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
We would have 3 of top 9 if lottery was held as of now? Quick, another lock out.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Unlike some, that thought Mason was only to blame for 1 goal, I thought he should have stopped two. Other than that he played well.

Johan is not the problem.

When Cam comes back Umby needs to be a healthy scratch. Maybe some time to think in the press box will benefit him.

I feel bad for Prospal. he is certainly in the twilight of his career, but he is also a victim of his circumstances. In the games that I have been to, he is still making some great set-ups to his teammates. The problem is that most of those set-ups are to players that have little ability to finish. Unfortunately those good plays by Prospal go unnoticed. Is this his final year as a player? I would say yes. But on a better team, his efforts would be rewarded far more than they are with this bunch.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
When Cam comes back Umby needs to be a healthy scratch. Maybe some time to think in the press box will benefit him.

Let us just end this talk now. We haven't even moved him to the end of the bench yet. You don't scratch veterans with the history that RJ has based on a 10 game stretch without other signs of being disappointed in his play.

First off, I haven't seen anything that suggests being scratched is needed. Secondly he is still getting bit minutes, his minutes haven't been cut. Next, he hasn't been benched for a period. If he really is in the dog house I recommend him watching from the bench if he gets off to another slow start.

Coaching wise, scratching him would be a piss poor move. That is a show of disrespect to someone of his reputation and career, at least not without a lot of communication up front.

Disclaimer: I am not happy with RJ's start and in another thread I am saying it might be time for us to look for another team for him.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Where else can you park on the street for nothing and have a perfectly safe six or seven minute walk to a ticket window with no line and buy a seat for $10 and sit in what is close to your own personal section? .

Where on earth are you parking for free on the street? Are there still meters in Columbus that end at 6:00?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
On the the game. Great first period, but I had wondered going into the intermission if we were playing that good or if LA was playing that bad. I got my answer. Having said that, we did fall asleep on the ice in the second and not even Brassard's goal woke us up.

We pushed back some in the third.

Frankly in my opinion it should have been 5-2. That first one Mason let in was very ticky-tack. While I appreciate the league trying to protect the goalies, I really don't think I want to go as far as they are taking it. Goalies are now starting to make more contact out of the crease if they screened and in poor position to get a read on the puck. I only bring it up to say that as well as we played in the first, it could very well have been tied.

This was a poor response to the Detroit game. But having said that they are not the same team at all this year, so maybe our victory wasn't all that impressive.

It could very well be time that the 4th line starts getting second line minutes. Start rewarding their play and start calling out the rest of the players.

Last edited:

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Where on earth are you parking for free on the street? Are there still meters in Columbus that end at 6:00?

Plenty of meters on Spring Street last night that are only enforced until 4 p.m. Bit of a walk but an easy way to save $10.

Too bad the majority of our guys last night didn't think it was necessary to play the final 40 minutes of the game.

Thought R.J. had a good first period. But then again, who didn't last night, a shame we could only put one in the net.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Vinny was bad, but he wasn't alone. He was joined by Johansen, Anisimov, Umberger, Savard. Guys looked tired out there, slow and listless. Artem the most egregious of the bunch until he seemed to get a jump late.

A case could be made Brassard was the best of the forwards, with Foligno and Letestu next in line. DMac worked hard but, as always, was a mixed bag.

Erixon looked competent in the offensive zone, less so in his own end. Holden and Golo looked like call-ups in their first game. What are you going to do? They didn't look out of their element or overwhelmed but that's about the best you can say right now.

Dubinsky should not be suspended. Not even sure what was up with the game misconducts. What he did is always going to be a penalty, and I'm all for protecting the players, but there needs to be some allowance for how that play went down. Dubi was with him all the way down the ice and Scuderi goes in low. The player knows the play is to "finish your check," it's tough to let up on short notice. I guess if we're talking about player safety first, then you've got to come down hard to set an example, but I don't think harsher penalties are going to keep plays like that from happening, because they're within the flow of the game. Whatever. No suspension is warranted, IMO. Make is a one-gamer if you absolutely must.

Why does Mason have such difficulty catching? Does he have small hands? Is his glove too big? Does he have some lingering issue with his hand or wrist that hampers his ability to catch? Is "high glove" just in his head? I think that last point is too simple an assessment.

Why does this team historically not score on rebounds but give up goals on rebounds? This goes beyond goalie play. Forwards struggle to "bang home" pucks, while our defensemen struggle to keep opposing forwards from doing the same. Is that an issue of shoulder strength? Legs? I see the team make good stick plays in open ice, so I would say it's not hands, but I don't know. Is it the elusive "puck poise"? Is it "Hockey IQ," isasmuch as knowing where to look for loose pucks?

I like the pressure being applied on the PK. On the other hand, I'm not really sure what they're trying to do on the PP.

In all, much less confidence, decisiveness and purpose than in the Detroit game. Is that a function of something LA does? Is it a matchup thing? Is it simply on the Jackets not being fully engaged?

The team is going to lose games. I have accepted that from the start. Nonetheless, there are things that can and should be addressed.

Last edited:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
In all, much less confidence, decisiveness and purpose than in the Detroit game. Is that a function of something LA does? Is it a matchup thing? Is it simply on the Jackets not being fully engaged?

The team is going to lose games. I have accepted that from the start. Nonetheless, there are things that can and should be addressed.

I'm stuck somewhere between resignation after this loss and frustration. I know we are down 4 starting defensemen, but I felt like this was a winnable game throughout the 60 minutes. We have to convert that PP, and Mason has to come up with a big save or two (in addition to any that his fans are going to reply to me that he did make.)

This team is much better than anything we've seen on the ice yet this season. Todd needs to figure out how to get more out of guys like Johnson, Umberger, and Wizniewski, but the biggest challenge right now is getting guys healthy and back on the ice, while minimizing the liability the call ups represent.

Brassard has really stuck to it and is finding some pay dirt now. Good for him, the kid works hard every shift, he deserves the success he's finding now.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Frankly in my opinion it should have been 5-2. That first one Mason let in was very ticky-tack. While I appreciate the league trying to protect the goalies, I really don't think I want to go as far as they are taking it. Goalies are now starting to make more contact out of the crease if they screened and in poor position to get a read on the puck. I only bring it up to say that as well as we played in the first, it could very well have been tied.

It wouldn't upset if the goal had been allowed. I do think they are going overboard on the protection of goalies. But, it was closer to interference than the crap RJ got called for in the Det game...and we got a penalty for that one. :shakehead

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I hate to be that guy, but I'm awfully surprised how upset people are about a 3-6-1 start. What exactly were your expectations?

Maybe it's the realization that the expectations were accurate that is frustrating some? I can't imagine people are really that surprised. Even the Blue Jackets know they need help, that's why they're recruiting: JOIN THE BATTLE

I feel bad for Prospal. he is certainly in the twilight of his career, but he is also a victim of his circumstances.

He did look behind the play most of last night. However, I must say that I believe he knows he's on his last go around and appears to be soaking in every minute of it. During Saturday's Detroit pregame, kids hang over glass to fist pump the players as they come on and exit the ice to the locker room. The other players have their stoic game faces looking straight ahead while they hold their fists up as they go by. Vinny actually looks up to the kids smiling and gives them a "how we doing tonight guys? Ready for the game?" as he high fives them.

Same thing during "Tunnel of Pride", most of the other guys do the march to the ice and dog and pony show, holding their fists up so kids can give them a quick pump as they go by. Vinny's last player coming up the line and he's grinning ear to ear leaning over to high five the kids so they don't have to reach up.

In contrast, RJ looked like he was carrying a gorilla on his back as he went by.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->