Post-Game Talk: Game 10: Avalanche @ Hurricanes | Avs Lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
I went on a Twitter rant about it, but more forwards on the Avs need to hold onto the puck and look to make a play like Soderberg. His teammates aren't used to it yet, and it's obviously something he was taught that the rest of this team wasn't. He looks calm with the puck. Everyone else is so jittery. Look to make a play, don't jam it up the boards.

I rarely disagree with your analysi but I disagree, Soda looks just as uncomfortable and jittery as the rest of the guys. Maybe it's getting used to a new team and all but I don't see the Soderberg I am used to seeing from Boston Can you point me to a specific example?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I rarely disagree with your analysi but I disagree, Soda looks just as uncomfortable and jittery as the rest of the guys. Maybe it's getting used to a new team and all but I don't see the Soderberg I am used to seeing from Boston Can you point me to a specific example?
He holds onto the puck in the defensive zone instead of dumping it out. He'll look to reverse it to the D for an easier breakout. He just doesn't dump it to the other team and give it away. I bet he and Landy look good together now that they're back together.

People are ragging on him too much when he's been in a role he shouldn't be.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What were the lines to end the game?

MacKinnon line was the same. Soderberg replaced Skille and played with Duchene and Landeskog. Not sure about the others but Roy wasn't using many bottom six guys at the end. Mitchell was out there for a bit, not sure with who though.

Might see something like......

Tanguay-MacKinnon-Iginla
Landeskog-Duchene-Soderberg
Everberg-Mitchell-Comeau
McLeod-Grigorenko-Skille

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
He holds onto the puck in the defensive zone instead of dumping it out. He'll look to reverse it to the D for an easier breakout. He just doesn't dump it to the other team and give it away. I bet he and Landy look good together now that they're back together.

Sure I'll agree with all that, he's definitely more patient with the puck. It seems to do a lot of good on the PP at least when he gets the time. By the same coin, isn't it kinda on him to adjust his game to fit the coachs' system? I'm not disagreeing with you just trying to play devils advocate for conversation sake.

And I agree, he's in a role he shouldn't be, Soda isn't a shut down guy he's an offensive guy who should be out against weaker competition.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
MacKinnon line was the same. Soderberg replaced Skille and played with Duchene and Landeskog. Not sure about the others but Roy wasn't using many bottom six guys at the end. Mitchell was out there for a bit, not sure with who though.

Might see something like......

Tanguay-MacKinnon-Iginla
Landeskog-Duchene-Soderberg
Everberg-Mitchell-Comeau
McLeod-Grigorenko-Skille

Soda can't play RW remember? He's blind in his left (right? Idr) eye

FALAPARK17

Colorado Avalanche
Jul 10, 2015
Winnipeg
What I'd like them to try out is this line-up:

Landeskog - Soderberg - Everberg
Tanguay - Mackinnon - Iginla
Comeau - Duchene - Grigorenko
McLeod - Mitchell - Skille

And after a while when the Mackinnon line is losing steam, switch Duchene with Mackinnon. Mackinnon has a playing style that would greatly benefit being paired with a guy like Comeau and a skilled guy with Grigorenko. And after all, Mackinnon wanted to play wih Grigorenko, so there's that.

Last edited:

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Sad, sad team to watch, get all excited for a new season, eliminated by game 10, what's our pace 75 points? Nevermind the problems, is there any other bright spot other than Mack? No worries the puck drops for next season in 337 days, **** that team, since 09 good god how long does it take to build a semi decent team.
What's sad is people giving up after 10 games. We are eliminated when we get that little z next to our name in the League Standings.

Slow start again, sure. But we've only played 2 games in the division. Get the PP working like it was the first few games and we'll be fine. Like McNab said, just gotta start by being better than 2 other teams in the Central. Something that is doable. It's a long season, 72 games left.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Soda can't play RW remember? He's blind in his left (right? Idr) eye

Maybe him and Landeskog can switch. I don't recall what side he played when he was out there with them tonight.

He seems to line up on and play the right side on the PP just fine.

FALAPARK17

Colorado Avalanche
Jul 10, 2015
Winnipeg
What's wrong with Duchene? I've recently started watching games this season but whenever i used to read the recaps and scoresheet, Duchene was usually up there in the stats and playing well.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
What's sad is people giving up after 10 games. We are eliminated when we get that little z next to our name in the League Standings.

Slow start again, sure. But we've only played 2 games in the division. Get the PP working like it was the first few games and we'll be fine. Like McNab said, just gotta start by being better than 2 other teams in the Central. Something that is doable. It's a long season, 72 games left.

Bam! If people are still predicting the ducks to make the post season #whynotus?

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
Maybe him and Landeskog can switch. I don't recall what side he played when he was out there with them tonight.

He seems to line up on and play the right side on the PP just fine.

I think he needs to be in control of the half boards

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

While you are correct in that Avs won't be theoretically out of it until sometimes in February/Mars, practically they are already out of it unless they go ham on Central. This doesn't look like a team that will clean up Central.

Unless a miracle happens, they're done. Peter McNab knows this as well but he's paid to pretend he doesn't.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Rough night for Kroenke's teams. I just heard boos in the Nuggets game and it's only the second game of the season. :laugh:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Rough night for Kroenke's teams. I just heard boos in the Nuggets game and it's only the second game of the season. :laugh:

No OT points in NBA either, so when you are a below .500 team you really are below .500.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
While you are correct in that Avs won't be theoretically out of it until sometimes in February/Mars, practically they are already out of it unless they go ham on Central. This doesn't look like a team that will clean up Central.

Unless a miracle happens, they're done. Peter McNab knows this as well but he's paid to pretend he doesn't.

Just like anything can happen during the playoffs, anything can happen during the regular season

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Just like anything can happen during the playoffs, anything can happen during the regular season

It's not impossible. Just very unlikely.

I don't think this team can go 40-20-10 the rest of the way to get to 97 points. It's probably what it would take.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think the Nuggets are 1-1, a little early for boos.

Any time a team is in a hole they are going to need a 7-3 or 8-2 stretch or something like that to get out. The Wild did it two years in a row. Pretty much hope is lost until they can have a hot streak like that.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City

You surely are not watching the games and only watching Roy's pressers to think only a few bounces and a better PP and bam playoffs here we come. We are ouplayed 80% of the time, I use the eye test and watch a lot of other games and you know what we suck big time.

But have at it, it will take a record of 43-24-5 to have a sniff at the playoffs, think about it for a second before you tell me I'm sad

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
I think the Nuggets are 1-1, a little early for boos.

Any time a team is in a hole they are going to need a 7-3 or 8-2 stretch or something like that to get out. The Wild did it two years in a row. Pretty much hope is lost until they can have a hot streak like that.

Okay so the Wild did it two years in a row when no one expected it... Do you or anyone else have a crystal ball that says the Avs can't do the same thing (not that the crystal ball says they can). Just frustrating to see people write the team off so early. Yeah, I'm frustrated too, does it mean the sky has fallen into hell? No. Stop with the knee jerk reactions. That's all I ask.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well, Ward made the big stops tonight and Varly didn't. That was the main difference, as both teams struggled through the first two periods again. Varly's had trouble tracking pucks through traffic and even more so with rebounds all year, even last game, and it looked like he was trying to stop a bouncy ball tonight. Not sure what's up with him, but Allaire is gonna have to take him to school to get some of these kinks ironed out technically.

Landy is just a bad penalty machine this year. I don't think he's healthy, but he's got to keep his stick on the ice. He's on pace for 131 PIMS this year, all in minor penalties.

Mitchell continues to think he can mail it in the rest of the year because he had a good first few games. Guy just coasts around the ice doing nothing. Somebody's got to tell him to keep his ***damn stick on the ice during the breakout too. That's two games in a row I've seen a D man send him a good pass on the breakout and he just wasn't paying attention and had his stick in the air.

Duchene's still in his funk. Gonna be a while for him to break out unfortunately. Always is. THis ones gonna be painful though because they're gonna keep losing games as long as he can't help the team put goals on the board.

Barrie had an ugly one too. Just way too fancy with all the no look passes. He's got to go back to just taking the puck and going forward with it, driving the opposition back and breaking the trap.

Beauch also with a rough game. Looked tired from all those minutes last night.

MacK continues to be the only good player for this team really. Iggy and Tanguay again the beneficiaries of his work on that goal. He is the only reason that line is working, and Roy recognized it too double shifting him on Duchene's wing in place of Skille.

They really could have used a couple back to back wins. They need to put a streak together here of some kind to start this year, if they're to have any hope of making the playoffs. The West is just gonna keep pulling ahead, and if they find themselves ten points out again, we've seen that the hill is most likely too tough to climb.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
positives- MacK, and to lesser degree his line; Yeti has been looking solid (I don't know what some of you have been complaining for); Grigo isn't disappointing; Varly (? Not sure about that 2nd goal)

Negatives- Lando, Duchene, EJ, Barrie, What is up with these guys? Poor decisions, poor execution, this is so frustrating. Our best players have got to perform; where has our aggressive play gone? That was so apathetic, hardly any puck pressure and how many freakin times are we just going to chip the puck right back to them, hardly anyone looked like they even wanted the puck offensively; Power play :shakehead; where did the Comeau with some puck skills go

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I don't think he's making smart decisions with the puck a lot of times in the offensive zone. That's my one gripe with him. I like his patience, and l like how he protects the puck, it just feels like he makes weird decisions a lot of the time. I think he's very uncomfortable playing the up tempo style that Roy and a lot of the Western teams play, but he's slowly getting better at it.

The fact that he's getting better, albeit slowly, instead of stagnating or getting worse is a good sign at least. He had good instincts to slowly get into the soft area on his goal too. Perfect spot for a rebound tap in.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Last year, we thought the lack of offense was because of the poor D and scrubs. This year, the offense isn't that bad, but it's all because of Mackinnon's growth. Other than that, the majority of the core isn't good - defense and offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad