Post-Game Talk: Game 10: Avalanche @ Hurricanes | Avs Lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Last year, we thought the lack of offense was because of the poor D and scrubs. This year, the offense isn't that bad, but it's all because of Mackinnon's growth. Other than that, the majority of the core isn't good - defense and offense

Last year we had six forwards produce at 1st line pace during even strength. I don't think that's lack of offense.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
219 GF, bottom third of league and near last in the West.

Less than five goals from league average. But I guess it can be twisted either way.

Just saying, don't expect the same kind of production from out top 6 this year, cause what they did last season was pretty unsustainable.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Didn't get a chance to watch much of the game, had date night tonight then paged into work which is what I'm up to now.

I'm going to the next two games, Sharks Sunday then Flames Tuesday. Would be a great time for them to put together the first two game win streak of the season.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Didn't get a chance to watch much of the game, had date night tonight then paged into work which is what I'm up to now.

I'm going to the next two games, Sharks Sunday then Flames Tuesday. Would be a great time for them to put together the first two game win streak of the season.

Dont bring your date to those games he/she will think you hate them.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I didn't watch this one, opted for a pre-Halloween horror film with the wife. Doesn't look like I missed much. I figured it wasn't gonna be great hockey to watch either way.

Since McNab kept calling Ryan Murray "Ryan Murphy" during the Columbus game, did he by chance screw up Murphy's name tonight?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I didn't watch this one, opted for a pre-Halloween horror film with the wife. Doesn't look like I missed much. I figured it wasn't gonna be great hockey to watch either way.

Since McNab kept calling Ryan Murray "Ryan Murphy" during the Columbus game, did he by chance screw up Murphy's name tonight?

McNab's been awful this season. So far he's consistently gotten players names wrong, he's said the draw switching sides to the left should benefit the right handed center now taking it on his forehand, he's made up reasons for stoppages in play that never happened, and tonight he watches Lindholm lay in the left corner hurt, and then watches the replay describing what happened to the other player that flew over Varly into the right corner.

It's literally like he's watching the game with a blindfold on, making things up as he goes. In between pulls on his flask.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I went on a Twitter rant about it, but more forwards on the Avs need to hold onto the puck and look to make a play like Soderberg. His teammates aren't used to it yet, and it's obviously something he was taught that the rest of this team wasn't. He looks calm with the puck. Everyone else is so jittery. Look to make a play, don't jam it up the boards.

I think he is similar to Stastny in that regard. Unfortunately, he isn't at that level yet, and in the offensive zone, I agree that the line doesn't seem to know what to do with a player like that yet.

That is why I agree and think he and Landy should be playing together. I'm just not sure Duchene is the right linemate there, but I'm kinda at a loss for what players I want to see put with Duchene right now.

Tyson Barrie is worth the price of admission

you must have gotten a very good discount then.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mackinnon good, Soderberg good, Grigo good, the rest bad. Barrie, EJ and Landy stuck out as the really bad ones for me.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
EJ has been really bad all season. Nothing like the player pre-injury last year. Hope he finds his game soon.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I cant believe how much this team sucks. I think Duchene needs to go, he needs a change of scenery. He isn't even a good 2nd liner at this pace, and his stock is dropping. Play gormley over guinin. Roy should probably step down at the end of the year. Next season we might be better with our younger players more developed.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Better hope Duchene figures out how to at least become a consistent 50 point player or it's likely to be a very long time before the Avs are competitive in the West.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Better hope Duchene figures out how to at least become a consistent 50 point player or it's likely to be a very long time before the Avs are competitive in the West.

The season in which he did not crack 30 points is the only one in which he has not produced at that pace or better. Last year's 55 points qualify as a poor year by his standards.

It's not his lack of production to start the year that worries me so much as the decisions he makes. Lately I'd been feeling good about his play, but I didn't see last night's game.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If there is some small ray of sunshine is that they seem to be doing better at the first part of the breakout with forwards coming deeper, supporting better along the boards and using short passes.

They still run into trouble in the neutral zone when the other team backing off and making sure they have numbers back but you have to start somewhere. It's better than when Holden and Stuart trying fifty foot passes up the middle, right?

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Trade Duchene. EJ has been bad too so trade him as well. Landy too, he is garbage. That's the recipe for success, trade all of our star players.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
The season in which he did not crack 30 points is the only one in which he has not produced at that pace or better. Last year's 55 points qualify as a poor year by his standards.

It's not his lack of production to start the year that worries me so much as the decisions he makes. Lately I'd been feeling good about his play, but I didn't see last night's game.

Completely agree. Hockey IQ is lacking. He's got so much more natural hockey talent than most players on the ice but doesn't think the game anywhere near the same as established star players do. When he struggles I keep thinking of Sakic (mainly due to their similarities in size (Sakic is probably smaller) and how Sakic just knew how to get to the open ice / higher percentage scoring area) and how I wish Duchene could think the game the same way but alas not yet or not regularly.

I can't for the life of me figure out why he doesn't see on film how much his poor decision making hurts his offensive efficiency. Going to the half boards/behind the net and waiting for contact from a player is something someone who is 6'2" 220 lbs does not someone 5'11'' 195lbs. He needs to keep moving his feet to continuously try to find the open ice.

Others have pondered that he's hurt. I can buy that as I really don't feel like I've seem him wheel like in previous seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad