GDT: Game 1 | Philadelphia @ Columbus | 7 PM EST

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
johnny has to be better, period. no excuses. guy was considered a game breaker not even 2 years ago.

okay. it’s one game. breathe. but still. marchenko’s game tonight >>>> Johnny’s.
I’m the most disappointed right now in Johnny. Hopefully he will turn it around soon. Is it too early for Pascal to have a two hour serious meeting with him about what’s going on? I suggest playing on a loop this for the whole two hours:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is the 1st time I’ll say this.

Gaudreau needs to step up. He’s supposed to be a top tier superstar player but at best has been star level.
Getting him to even 90-100 level would do wonders, he should be a catalyst for offense and just hasn’t been it.

Also stop the madness and put Johnson in.
He’s like the 3rd/4th best offensive player they have in the roster.

On positives Fantilli had a strong debut game.
Just give him more talent to play with

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think Elvis played better than I expected.
Our defense needs a lot of work (defensemen).
Laine was ok. It's not big hurdle but he could be the best Center we've ever had.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

I just don’t understand. someone enlighten me.

Pascal absolutely raves about fantilli in the post game. “I thought he was excellent.” he emphatically said excellent as if he was the best forward on the team tonight… yet he played just 13 minutes. had the 6th lowest ice time of all forwards, less than sillinger.

play. the. kid. more.
It's what always happens when you play in 3rd line, 2PP, no PK, and your team is 1 goal down for the entire game. Not much to do with Fantilli's performance. Top 6 and 1PP get heavy usage (and PK get their share). Bottom 6 and 2PP are left with low minutes.

One solution is to play Fantilli with Johnny so you get kind of 1A/1B scoring lines. I'm just not sure whether Vincent is willing to demote Boone to 3C

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
absolutely no chance we see Quick on saturday. Shesterkin 100 percent. he faced very little traffic tonight, pitched a 1 goal win against the sabres. no reason not to expect shesty. even more so being a metro game.
Fair enough. I was just thinking from a lack of respect toward us and to keep him rested for a real opponent, but I guess their next game is against Arizona. They have an extremely easy start to their year, looking at the schedule.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Too be frank, they looked like a poorly coached team tonight. We'll get an inkling of how good Vincent is by measuring their improvement Saturday and Monday nights.

That said, no team in the league is going to shudder in fear of our assistant coaches.
Do you really think we can expect a big change by Monday? Couldn't it take a little while for Vincent to get them playing with some structure?

I kind of see this situation as somewhat similar to one where a coach is fired early in the season, and a new coach is put in his place. I don't remember how it went when Torts or even Hitch were hired. How long did it take for the team to begin playing with structure and discipline after they started?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I thought Provorov was OK. I think he was trying too hard. But I wasn’t blown away by either him or Severson.

I was blown away, in a negative way, with Peeke and Werenski. What the actual hell was that?

It’s not good when our best pairing is Bean-Gudbranson.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Bring up Juricek and play him Peeke minutes
Keep Jiricek in Cleveland until they figure out if this team is a tire fire or not. I hope they develop him until he is ready, or even more than ready. Let him get confident and play his best.

I am battling the same thing for the past 3 years and we have the same oncologist.
Wishing you the best. I hope you beat this!

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I was there, the upper bowl was full. The lower bowl, was not
iirc, they report tickets sold. I think most of the lower bowl is season tickets who probably count whether they attend or not. I think that's a common approach in the NHL.

OTOH, it's a lot better than the early days where MacLean just came up with whatever guess he chose.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I could only watch the first period, but sounds like dodged a bullet missing the other two :D

Seemed very messy, some of it was to be expected I guess and it's not on Vincent that Werenski does a horrible pinch while Peeke decides to take a knee (for the record not blaming Peeke for that one, **** happens and it would've been a 2-on-1 at best) or that Laine makes a bad drop pass which leads to turnover and a goal against.

But what is on Vincent is the apparent general lack of structure and deciding to give a guy who's playing his 3rd proper NHL game as a center a winger he's played together with for one period of preseason. I don't think Laine's idea was bad there, it's just the way it went down the timing was horrible. Sillinger changed pace and started rushing the net/middle of ice the very moment Laine made the drop. You can argue the drop pass failed because they have played like 10 minutes together, but that's also a good argument for not trying the play in the first place and going for the simple "pucks to the net" instead, which seemed to be what Sillinger was anticipating.

Anyway back to Vincent, wasn't really a fan of his lines there, also WTH is Peeke doing in the 1st pair. Like I've been higher on Peeke than most, I've thought to this day there's some good upside for a defensive D-man there, but for crying out loud, when I think of Peeke and "upside", I'm not thinking of Peeke the top-pair dynamo, more like Peeke the defensive #4.

Werenski had an atrocious game and ending it with an injury is just a cherry on top :( I get he's rusty but man he needs to be better and I think he needs to adjust his game. I get he's an offensive D-man but this team now has Laine/Gaudreau/Marchenko/Fantilli/Johnson/etc, he has a letter and the big #1D contract. I'm not asking him to change who he is as a player but give some thought on what this team and that forward group really needs from their #1D and how can Werenski provide that while being the player he is.

On the positive side, I liked Bean's game at least in the first period I watched, this was one of the first games I remember where he actually stuck out positively to me and it was not the goal, it was actually some nice D / neutral zone plays that first caught my attention. The goal was just funny, I dunno what they communicated there if anything, but Danforth is just like gliding there with no care in the world and zero goal scoring urgency, it almost looks like Bean thinks Justin fell asleep and decides to take care of the job himself.

I still like the team and the roster and have lot of hope for the season, I'm not gonna fall into despair because of one game, but now is Vincent's time to shine and get the ship on the right course ASAP.

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
There's a lot to be content with, and there's a lot to be mad about.

First, the bad:

They have had a full calendar year and two (three) head coaches. The fact that none of them have found a way to get the power play to gel is inexcusable.

What even was there to review about the knee-on-knee? It was obvious he stuck out his knee, and it was obvious Zach was hurt. At the very least, it should have been a major (reckless endangerment).

I'm with the rest of you on this one: Zach and Andy on a pairing together should never happen again. That was really rough to watch.

Now, the good:

After the first period, Elvis played a good game. I would love to see it continue, but we've been here before.

Jake Bean being the first one to score a goal this year was something I never would have expected. A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

PK was solid enough. No notes on that.

Was cool to see Tex in our colors again. I missed his speed a lot last year.

Let's get back on our feet this weekend. See y'all Saturday.

Reactions: Crede777

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
iirc, they report tickets sold. I think most of the lower bowl is season tickets who probably count whether they attend or not. I think that's a common approach in the NHL.

OTOH, it's a lot better than the early days where MacLean just came up with whatever guess he chose.
The good old days when Doug sold $1 tickets (price may have been higher but that's the general idea) as a part of player contracts to increase attendance that was used for charity groups. Good times, good times...

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Oh and I'll fix the PP free of charge.

1. Put Laine in his office.
2. Put a RHD half decent puck mover on point.
3. Have said guy feed Laine the puck practically every time he has it and Laine is open
4. Now you have a decent, not difficult to achieve bread-and-butter play you can always fall back on, work from there to add other options, and keep working on better/faster puck movement
5. Don't do stupid shit like having your best shooter play a position where he can't utilize his shot to the fullest, or anything else "clever"

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
It’s one game, could take a few to get going as usual.

The takeaways from me are similar to everyone else:
-Elvis solid, might’ve been better than any game he played last year
-PP is bad and will be bad
-Roslovic should be out of the lineup
-Peeke is really bad

Not gonna comment on anyone else. Gonna try to keep reactions to a minimum and the thing I’m most pleased with was Elvis.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I thought Provorov was OK. I think he was trying too hard. But I wasn’t blown away by either him or Severson.

I was blown away, in a negative way, with Peeke and Werenski. What the actual hell was that?

It’s not good when our best pairing is Bean-Gudbranson.
Well Peeke is Peeke and Werenski hasn't played meaningful hockey in 11 months and it showed. Give him a month (2 weeks to heal up, 2 weeks to get the gears going again,) and then we can be concerned if he hasn't improved.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Well Peeke is Peeke and Werenski hasn't played meaningful hockey in 11 months and it showed. Give him a month (2 weeks to heal up, 2 weeks to get the gears going again,) and then we can be concerned if he hasn't improved.
My level of concern with Werenski isn’t that he’s struggling, it’s that he hasn’t improved. He struggled hard in the preseason and largely looks the same. The rust isn’t coming off.

I’m sure he’ll be fine, but it’s not fine right now

Reactions: majormajor

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
No one lays duds in front of a full house like the cbj.
It's actually sad how many sellouts this franchise somehow generates yet the product is so godly unwatchable. This team makes me dislike hockey it's been so bad to watch

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I am going to wait before hitting the panic button for a few more games but the overreactions tonight, especially on twitter, are quite entertaining.

Yeah a lot of players looked flat and Peeke/Roslovic should be scratched but Elvis was actually good and if Sillinger's blue line shot was just a few more inches to the left that would had been a tied hockey game. Considering how we were still in it right up until the end spite playing as bad as we did is actually kinda encouraging to me as there is talent and won't be as bad as people are making it out to be, they just need to get it together. I personally think people need to quit the whole "lets drive to tank town, burn down the entire front office/team" until a few more games in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad