GDT: Game 1 | Philadelphia @ Columbus | 7 PM EST

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Besides the 2 goals, I say the 3 shots that had the best chance of going in were 1 by Laine (hit Hart’s pad around the shoulder) and 2 by Sillinger (the post and another when he broke toward the goal and someone else hit his stick that was angled toward the 5 hole).

I’ll admit I was only half watching the game starting in the second period so I might have missed a shot or two. But it wasn’t like Hart was standing on his head or anything. We didn’t seem to have a lot of legit scoring chances where you thought “Carter Hart made a nice play” or “that defenseman really hustled back to break up a scoring chance”. It was Torts hockey and we didn’t have too many opportunities to put the puck in the net and we didn’t seem to understand how to attack a Torts led team.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Gudbranson should have.
I keep seeing this but people don’t realize that

1. If he fights, we are now down to 4 defenseman for 5 minutes minimum. Maybe more if Gudbranson gets hurt

2. We were about to get a powerplay. And seemingly 5 minutes worth. When trailing, that’s a golden opportunity. You can’t tempt an instigator penalty

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023

1. If he fights, we are now down to 4 defenseman for 5 minutes minimum. Maybe more if Gudbranson gets hurt

2. We were about to get a powerplay. And seemingly 5 minutes worth. When trailing, that’s a golden opportunity. You can’t tempt an instigator penalty
Yeah that's a situation where "your heart say take a run at him but your head says just don't". Gudbranson wasn't happy about it obviously and he was jawing at him trying to bait him into a fight but nothing obviously was gonna happen considering the above. We still should had the major because it like 12 feet off the puck when it happened but oh well...if it happened to any other team but us that would not been overturned it feels like,

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

Exactly. We see them again November 19th. Olivier will be back by then, hopefully. Hathaway has put a target on his back.

Reactions: Indy18

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Hathaway was involved in any number of scrums throughout the remainder of the contest. If there's no good time for retribution, then a player whose calling card is protection and retribution is not needed.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Hathaway was involved in any number of scrums throughout the remainder of the contest. If there's no good time for retribution, then a player whose calling card is protection and retribution is not needed.
Probably why we are trying to push to get Olivier back. We might have to force a waiver transaction though but he would be a welcome addition to come back as its alot easier to let a 4th line forward be in the box.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I had to look at that Laine goal like 10+ times and slow it down before I could see and understand where it went in and how it worked. Hits the wide side top corner, puck then goes the full loop on the white backbar and hits the shortside crossbar/post joint and bounces hard to the ice. He's got that right top corner dialed to a puck size hole it seems

Reactions: Stubu

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Dont fight after the play (Gudbranson wasnt even on the ice) fight later. Id risk 2 points early to set a standard for the season, words mean nothing. Just like all the words spoken before the season about the play on the ice. He's paid 4 million to make the team feel safe, talking to the media after the game us a whole lot of nothing toward that

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Well, like it appears so many others have... I have formed my opinion of this team after only one game. We're never going to win a game this year. These guys are terrible. No skill, no heart, no head....

OK, now that that is out of the way... I really want to see how this progresses over the next 10-20 games. There is a lot of new shit and you could absolutely tell they were not playing hockey but thinking of assignments and what they should be doing. Just not natural yet so I'm not going to roast anyone. I will say that I don't know how you put KJ in the press box. If you're going to play Roslovic on the 4th line with those minutes, you could have gotten the same result out of KJ. Also losing faith in Robinson. I don't know that he offers any more than Foudy at this point. That's a holdover from last year and noting that I didn't even realize Robinson was playing last night.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Dammit! That's makes too much sense... but it doesn't make me FEEL any better. ;)

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
A team that finished second from last place a season ago, the entire Babcock debacle, Pazzys first time as an NHL head coach with a total of three weeks of on the job training to start the season, a bunch of new players or players coming back from injury, new systems yet to be diagnosed or perfected and yet some on this board are in complete panic mode after one single game. Gonna be a long and stressful season for some of you. Some of the suggestions that I have read here seem more desperate than the claims about Pazzys/CBJs moves being desperate. Can we give it a couple weeks before we start clinging onto the ledge already. Few have claimed to have high expectations for the team yet the reactions after one game makes it seem like we had a Stanley Cup contending team here that has lost the first ten games to open the season. They may suck for a while and the season may not go as well as we want but there are reasons to be excited about the future. Breathe in Breathe out.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
A team that finished second from last place a season ago, the entire Babcock debacle, Pazzys first time as an NHL head coach with a total of three weeks of on the job training to start the season, a bunch of new players or players coming back from injury, new systems yet to be diagnosed or perfected and yet some on this board are in complete panic mode after one single game. Gonna be a long and stressful season for some of you. Some of the suggestions that I have read here seem more desperate than the claims about Pazzys/CBJs moves being desperate. Can we give it a couple weeks before we start clinging onto the ledge already. Few have claimed to have high expectations for the team yet the reactions after one game makes it seem like we had a Stanley Cup contending team here that has lost the first ten games to open the season. They may suck for a while and the season may not go as well as we want but there are reasons to be excited about the future. Breathe in Breathe out.
I feel like I had some of the highest expectations(one of the few who voted 90pts) and even I understand it's not all going to fall into place in game one. We have 81 games left, there's a ton of time left to get things figured out or for everything to fall off the rails. No need to panic until we get to December and we're significantly under .500

Reactions: Byrral

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

I feel like I had some of the highest expectations(one of the few who voted 90pts) and even I understand it's not all going to fall into place in game one. We have 81 games left, there's a ton of time left to get things figured out or for everything to fall off the rails. No need to panic until we get to December and we're significantly under .500

My own nihilism is coming from the Werenski injury rather than the actual team's performance. That seemed exactly like a 75-85 point team's performance, which is what I expect. Kind of rough to have a bunch of mostly young players playing together for the first time in a lot of cases have to face a Torts trap team. Carter Hart is a good goalie, and we barely challenged him. The ice was garbage. But on the whole, the team didn't look egregiously bad, and Elvis who is in my opinion the X-factor for the whole season looked downright good. The game, while a loss, was... fine. But the psychological impact of watching Z down on the ice, writhing in pain, then being literally carried off the ice by two two teammates with his leg dangling limply, after the injury horror show of last season? Especially knowing it came from a dirty hit that wouldn't remotely be punished? That broke me a bit.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
My own nihilism is coming from the Werenski injury rather than the actual team's performance. That seemed exactly like a 75-85 point team's performance, which is what I expect. Kind of rough to have a bunch of mostly young players playing together for the first time in a lot of cases have to face a Torts trap team. Carter Hart is a good goalie, and we barely challenged him. The ice was garbage. But on the whole, the team didn't look egregiously bad, and Elvis who is in my opinion the X-factor for the whole season looked downright good. The game, while a loss, was... fine. But the psychological impact of watching Z down on the ice, writhing in pain, then being literally carried off the ice by two two teammates with his leg dangling limply, after the injury horror show of last season? Especially knowing it came from a dirty hit that wouldn't remotely be punished? That broke me a bit.
They looked like a team thats playing in preseason still and needs to make some adjustments. I won't start to worry until there's been plenty of time to make adjustments and tweaks and still look bad.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
My level of concern with Werenski isn’t that he’s struggling, it’s that he hasn’t improved. He struggled hard in the preseason and largely looks the same. The rust isn’t coming off.

I’m sure he’ll be fine, but it’s not fine right now
It’ll take some time, but I’m confident in that he’ll rebound to his excellent level (barring further injuries).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad