Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
4pawsx0ways21.jpg

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'll be watching tonight 100%, I am excited to finally see a real game and the talent on this roster.

Is Kent Johnson injured or did he get sent back for some reason?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'll be watching tonight 100%, I am excited to finally see a real game and the talent on this roster.

Is Kent Johnson injured or did he get sent back for some reason?
Healthy scratch because the coach didn’t like the pace to his game, for some reason.

• Wow
Reactions: HockeyVirus

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
I have a couple of friends that will be in the building tonight. One of them acts as my friend group's good luck charm: Every time he goes to a game, the Jackets have won. Let's hope that the luck persists.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
What are you guys opinion on that? DId he look poor in pre-season or is this just he wasn't trying hard enough in practice or whatever?
Its kind of annoying but if it helps Vincent grab the rooms attention its not bad long term. His preseason wasnt great and we obviously dont have much info on practice aside from what we are told. Its annoying because we see worse players have different length leashes but its good because we can see Vincent isnt scared to make unpopular moves if he feels it benefits player/team

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
What are you guys opinion on that? DId he look poor in pre-season or is this just he wasn't trying hard enough in practice or whatever?
We don't have much media, especially non team-affiliated media, at practices so it's hard to say. One of them, Briad Hedger from the Dispatch, posted a meandering 700 word explanation from Vincent today in screenshots on twitter.

We don't really know what to think, which you can probably glean from our threads. We're not thrilled. Emil Bemstrom is the kind of player whose skillset is a fit for a top six role, but he's never been able to show it at the NHL level, and here he is making the opening night roster after a genuinely good preseason over our recent fifth overall undeniable talent who had a great rookie season last year but a fairly invisible preseason.

It's still just one game. If he's not playing by game three or four, then we've got something to be upset about.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
So-so preseason for Johnson, nothing particularly stood out as bad .. we all need a kick in the butt on some days, hoping this is just 1 game thing.

Looks like some fantastic weather around game time, glad the rain got pushed back into the weekend in this instance..

Go Jackets!

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Philly wont be a good team but it will be interesting to see how Columbus keeps up and if it was a good camp. We know Torts will have his guys ready to go.

Man im pumped for hockey

Reactions: squashmaple

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
I was personally under the impression that he was giving up on puck battles when they involved physicality but that's just my two cents.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Yeah I'm ok with a one game healthy scratch for Johnson - I was expecting/hoping to see something special out of him during the preseason games but nothing really materialized. If that was due to a lack of effort, then maybe this is the right move.

Super excited for the game!

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Excited that the boys are back. I’ve been really checked out for a while (basically since free agency / the Provorov/Severson trades, outside of briefly during the Babcock saga, and didn’t catch any of the preseason games) due to a few different life reasons, so based on that, my ignorant, uneducated thoughts:

1) Interesting Laine to center is sticking. But like that Sillinger has (at least for now) been moved to wing.

2) Surprised no KJ tonight, but don’t mind it if it lights a fire under him.

3) Surprised Bemstrom made the team, even more surprised top-6.

4) I think that’s a great line for Fantilli to start on - both minutes-wise (3rd line) and his line mates. Veteran, responsible winger on one side, and goal-scoring threat that should draw lots of defensive attention on the other wing.

5) Surprised Jiricek didn’t make the team, but guessing it’s semi-waiver related, semi-youth/development.

6) Thrilled for Tex, happy it seems like he’s in a better place mentally (at least based on his lineup slot).

Pumped for tonight!

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
We don't have much media, especially non team-affiliated media, at practices so it's hard to say. One of them, Briad Hedger from the Dispatch, posted a meandering 700 word explanation from Vincent today in screenshots on twitter.

We don't really know what to think, which you can probably glean from our threads. We're not thrilled. Emil Bemstrom is the kind of player whose skillset is a fit for a top six role, but he's never been able to show it at the NHL level, and here he is making the opening night roster after a genuinely good preseason over our recent fifth overall undeniable talent who had a great rookie season last year but a fairly invisible preseason.

It's still just one game. If he's not playing by game three or four, then we've got something to be upset about.
It’s not a given that Bem is stealing KJ’s spot if Bem delivers. I think that Roslovic is the one on a short leash, but I understand if the FO wants to showcase him with a trade in mind.

I also want to say that I’m beyond pumped to get the season started and watch how this team performs!

Reactions: CBJx614

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This came up 3 practices ago. I would have told him exactly what I was looking for in practice and game situations. I would have started him in Game 1 with a clear expectation of what he needs to do. Then, if he is not meeting expectations, bench him for game 2.

I think the lack of objective and intelligent media coverage is an issue. Especially with a team run by a guy like Jarmo who is famously tight-lipped. We judge the players by what we see in games because that is all we see.

We don’t hear that Player A is a jerk but is skilled, but Player B is a great locker room guy and busts his ass in practice. We don’t know why PLD bought a condo and then almost immediately wanted out. Our judgement on our captains is based on what we see on the ice. Foligno was loved because he would fight for his guys, but we don’t know what went on behind the scenes. Heck, the whole Babcock thing came out of a national podcast. There was no real news broken by the local guys.

Reactions: VT and CBJWerenski8

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I thought Ryan Poehling would be better than he has been. His name came up in various trade discussions (like Josh Anderson and PLD). 4th line center on a bad Flyers team is not what I expected.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I thought Ryan Poehling would be better than he has been. His name came up in various trade discussions (like Josh Anderson and PLD). 4th line center on a bad Flyers team is not what I expected.
His value in discussions got inflated because Habs. But yeah, even given that, he was ostensibly supposed to be better than this. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad