GDT: Game 1 | Philadelphia @ Columbus | 7 PM EST

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017

That’s a slap on the wrist. I can’t wrap my head around the DOPS. Just make the players accountable for dangerous plays and improve the safety of players and improve the product. That hit was a bull**** move by a repeat offender. Make it hurt financially on a real level, because they play for the paycheck.

Reactions: NotWendell

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
That’s a slap on the wrist. I can’t wrap my head around the DOPS. Just make the players accountable for dangerous plays and improve the safety of players and improve the product. That hit was a bull**** move by a repeat offender. Make it hurt financially on a real level, because they play for the paycheck.
It’s easier to wrap your head around the decision when you recognize the power of the CBA. They fined the maximum allowed. They’re handcuffed by what is outlined in the CBA and good luck getting the players’ Union to agree to a significant increase in fines.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Is Merz starting tomorrow? Kuemper just had a baby so I’m panicking
I would imagine Elvis will start until he gives us a reason not to play him. Could be one game or 10. We'll see, depends on how much they trust Martin too. But not enough to play him second game of the season when Elvis played good last game.

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
No offense, but why in the world would you try to use Elvis in fantasy? He was statistically the worst goalie in the league last year.
I need a stop gap for one game to keep my goalies’ stats from being ineligible (need 3 goalie starts in a week) and Kuemper not playing screwed that up. There’s also no better options that start tomorrow, and it seems Elvis played well last game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Someone asked why the Flyers were better on the shit ice. The team that plays straight ahead Torts type hockey will always be less thrown off by choppy or wet ice compared to a team like ours that is often trying to make a pass.

On the positive side, I liked Bean's game at least in the first period I watched, this was one of the first games I remember where he actually stuck out positively to me and it was not the goal, it was actually some nice D / neutral zone plays that first caught my attention. The goal was just funny, I dunno what they communicated there if anything, but Danforth is just like gliding there with no care in the world and zero goal scoring urgency, it almost looks like Bean thinks Justin fell asleep and decides to take care of the job himself.

I think Danforth is dinged up. We've never known him to be slow for any reason.

It is really awesome news that Bean is in great shape. He was always looking weak. If he keeps it up it feels like we got a free player, at least for me because I didn't think he was ever going to pop like this.

Reactions: Napoli

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
The guy in your avatar was the year before
Oh, did Elvis have massive reconstructive surgery on his injured hips that I missed?

I need a stop gap for one game to keep my goalies’ stats from being ineligible (need 3 goalie starts in a week) and Kuemper not playing screwed that up. There’s also no better options that start tomorrow, and it seems Elvis played well last game.
Godspeed

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Someone asked why the Flyers were better on the shit ice. The team that plays straight ahead Torts type hockey will always be less thrown off by choppy or wet ice compared to a team like ours that is often trying to make a pass.

I think Danforth is dinged up. We've never known him to be slow for any reason.

It is really awesome news that Bean is in great shape. He was always looking weak. If he keeps it up it feels like we got a free player, at least for me because I didn't think he was ever going to pop like this.
- I've always trusted Jake, and it's safe to say I'm right.

- Torts is in his second year coaching Philly. KBesides, his teams have mostly been great defensively, easier to play. And they have also always been and are aggressive. Compare how many fights we've won and how many they've won

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
I have always thought this should be the punishment for an illegal hit. Determining intent though would be the problem.
I would go a step further and say that intent is mostly irrelevant. Except in cases where it's glaringly obvious, it doesn't matter. I don't care if Hathaway is a thug or just an awkward oaf.

Players should be responsible for their actions, regardless of if it was a result of malicious intent or stupidity and clumsiness.

You are responsible for what your stick does, and what your skates do, and what your knees do.

This may be why people frequently tell me it's a good thing I am neither judge nor jury....

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I would gladly have covered the cost of a one-game contract to have a Willie Trognitz of John Badduke (in their prime, obviously) out there on that shift.

I had a chance to watch Wild Willie Trognitz on my beloved WHA Cincinnati Stingers. I loved the way hockey was played back then. Wild Willie went too far a few times, but what happened to Werenski would NEVER have gone without serious immediate consequences to the offending player.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
It’s easier to wrap your head around the decision when you recognize the power of the CBA. They fined the maximum allowed. They’re handcuffed by what is outlined in the CBA and good luck getting the players’ Union to agree to a significant increase in fines.

I think George Parros is the biggest handcuff when it comes to the NHL DoPS.

Just for fun, hockey play came up my first spin:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad