GDT: Game 1: Mild @ Avalanche - 7PM - HOCKEY IS BACK

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Great win on the first game guys ! Nothing makes me feel better than beating the Wild and in an opening game. I really liked what I've seen with Kerfoot and Jost. I thought that Kerfoot's line was more noticeable than Mack's that could be a good sign that our 2nd line is getting better but I hope our top line unleash it tomorrow against the Flyers. I also really liked how Jost was good defensively damn he was tenacious and determined on his backcheck.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I didn't get to watch much of the game. Was out with some buddies to watch hockey and the place we went didn't have the Avs game on. And then when I got home I had to work this morning so fell asleep after the 2nd.

But from the half period I did get to watch, I thought it was very clearly the Avs defense that made last nights game such a mismatch. We were very quick moving the puck out of the defensive zone giving the Wild very little sustained pressure opportunities. And in the neutral zone they simply weren't letting pucks get in behind them which made for some fast transitions back into the offensive zone.

I think having both Girard and Barrie on opposite pairings and on the ice for 45 minutes of the game is gonna be huge for us as Girard continues getting better.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Showing how much I pay attention, it wasn't until after the game last night that I realized Andrighetto wasn't playing (Wilson on the 2nd line never clued me in). What's up with that? He wasn't listed as a scratch and I can't see anywhere that he was injured.

Reactions: Murzu

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I don't think I'm a fan of Dries and I still don't like Wilson (who had a good game) on the 2nd line. Also, how nervous were the Avs, especially in the third period? Still a good game considering it was the season opener. Rantanen will be a star at the end of this season.

Rantanen is a star right now

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The potential of having Barrie, Girard, and Makar on three separate D pairs next year makes me :banana:
Just about to say this exact same thing. We could potentially next year roll with Girard, Barrie and Makar on three different pairings. We could litterally have a play making dman on the ice at all times. That's going to be hell for other teams.

Reactions: Murzu

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
In all seriousness I think last nights game is exactly what Sakic has envisioned this team to be. A team with elite puckmovers on every line. Obviously we didn’t have a true puck mover on that 3rd pairing with Z-Nemeth but that should be the Cole-Makar pairing next year.

Also if Z does end up being the default puckmover for the 3rd pairing I think that’s a great great move. I’d love to see him get more comfortable and confident with the puck going forward, especially if he’s paired up with Barrie long term. I really like what a Sakic is building at the back here.

Reactions: MrPeePee and Murzu

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I know it’s only one game, but it sure would be great if we took that step forward this year before Makar, Timmins, Kaut, Bowers, and the 2019 1st rounders came up. If we can be a solid playoff team before those guys get here, they could springboard us into contention.

Its cart before the horse, but damn it was good to dominate the wild.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Interesting breakdown of the even strength minutes in last nights game:

Sam Girard - 18:31
Tyson Barrie - 16:43
Erik Johnson - 16:36
Ian Cole - 16:07
Patrik Nemeth - 15:45
Zadorov - 14:03

Girard with almost 2 full minutes more 5 on 5 ice time then any other Dman last night. Kid has a remarkably bright future ahead if he's about to be this teams #1D at the grizzly old age of 20 years.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Am I the only one that was stoked when we initially got Girard that we might have gotten ourselves an awesome puck moving future #3?

To see the type of player he is now.... wow.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
AJ's opinion on the 2 new guys:

Or4sjLC.png
Originally I was peeved that we went after Cole instead of CDH, but I'm glad we signed him. I always thought he'd be closer to Hejda than O'Brien or any of those scrubs, in regards to his impact on the club/quality of player.

Reactions: Murzu and klozge

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3