GDT: Game 1: Mild @ Avalanche - 7PM - HOCKEY IS BACK

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know who's in charge of Pepsi vision, but we only got one replay of Wilson's goal that got called back, the Barrie trip and no replay what so ever of the offsides challenge.

Did Barrie trip him?

Like mentioned, he tapped his foot a little with the blade of his stick and it disrupted his skating enough to send him into the boards.

All three calls were the right ones IMO. Looked pretty clear that Wilson batted that puck in with his hand to me.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Like mentioned, he tapped his foot a little with the blade of his stick and it disrupted his skating enough to send him into the boards.

All three calls were the right ones IMO. Looked pretty clear that Wilson batted that puck in with his hand to me.

Yeah I agree, Barrie was going for a stick tie up, but got skate unintentionally. I thought Kerfoot's tripping call was weak but you can't obviously throw your leg out like that and expect any different. I'd dive over that knee/skate and draw a call every day of the week.

Reactions: Murzu and 5280

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

You know what though? Aside from Kerfoot's oh shit stick the leg out penalty.. Most of our infractions tonight didn't come from players doing dumb shit to save their asses from getting beat due to their bad decisions. That is a huge positive.

95% of our penalties year in and year out have been because of being behind the play. That was a nice change.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Great start. Team looked really good IMO. I thought the Jost line was outstanding. The Soda snipe was filthy. MacK looked off to start but his line started really moving the puck well in the 2nd and 3rd.

PP needs some help.

Reactions: 21 and Murzu

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You know what though? Aside from Kerfoot's oh **** stick the leg out penalty.. Most of our infractions tonight didn't come from players doing dumb **** to save their asses from getting beat due to their bad decisions. That is a huge positive.

95% of our penalties year in and year out have been because of being behind the play. That was a nice change.

It's a wonderful thing when you have a promising young team that can skate well and is a year older.

Barely a smile as the boys left the ice too. A few years ago and they'd be acting like they won game 1 of the playoffs, not game 1 of 82. Maturity has finally set in.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's a wonderful thing when you have a promising young team that can skate well and is a year older.

Barely a smile as the boys left the ice too. A few years ago and they'd be acting like they won game 1 of the playoffs, not game 1 of 82. Maturity has finally set in.

Yeah I liked that attitude from top to bottom in the interviews. They all felt like that was a rusty game that went well.

Reactions: Murzu

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Anyone else think that we should try Soda centering the 2nd line with Jost and Kerfoot on his wing? Soda has untapped offensive potential at the moment and we lack 2nd line scoring.

Then make the Calvert/Compher/Nieto line the defensive line.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Also I really liked what I saw from Calvert and Cole.

AJ's opinion on the 2 new guys:

Or4sjLC.png

member 116861

AJ's opinion on the 2 new guys:

Or4sjLC.png

My biggest worry was that he was going to be Shane O'Brien on steroids and preseason only made those worries worse. Today though, he was completely different and played much safer.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My biggest worry was that he was going to be Shane O'Brien on steroids and preseason only made those worries worse. Today though, he was completely different and played much safer.

That would have been the case had he been expected to be the puck mover on his pairing though. As much as I want Z higher in the lineup Z is a better option for the PMD on his pairing than Nemeth or Cole.

Reactions: Murzu and BrickAHL

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Anyone else think that we should try Soda centering the 2nd line with Jost and Kerfoot on his wing? Soda has untapped offensive potential at the moment and we lack 2nd line scoring.

Then make the Calvert/Compher/Nieto line the defensive line.

Yeah but I'm done hoping against hope.. Right now we don't have someone who can take that role as a defensive center. Until Compher or someone else takes that mantel Soda has it to himself.

Soda has to be the 3/4C in all situations because so much of our center depth behind MacK is extremely inexperienced. Or isn't capable of scoring enough to offset their defensive deficiencies.

I don't think Jost is going to be a player who drives an offensive line and plays solid two-way hockey myself. Bowers is the next shot at that, and Kamenev well is inconsistent at this point.

Also I hate it.. but until Jost gets better line-mates hes not going to produce at a high level. He just does not feel like a driver to me, and isn't good enough to adjust to bad passes and bad positioning by his line-mates. Kerfoot also isn't fast enough to always be there in the right place for Jost. That line right now does not suck, but it's a weird dynamic that lacks finish due to a lot of reasons.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeah but I'm done hoping against hope.. Right now we don't have someone who can take that role as a defensive center. Until Compher or someone else takes that mantel Soda has it to himself.

Soda has to be the 3/4C in all situations because so much of our center depth behind MacK is extremely inexperienced. Or isn't capable of scoring enough to offset their defensive deficiencies.

I don't think Jost is going to be a player who drives an offensive line and plays solid two-way hockey myself. Bowers is the next shot at that, and Kamenev well is inconsistent at this point.

Also I hate it.. but until Jost gets better line-mates hes not going to produce at a high level. He just does not feel like a driver to me, and isn't good enough to adjust to bad passes and bad positioning by his line-mates. Kerfoot also isn't fast enough to always be there in the right place for Jost. That line right now does not suck, but it's a weird dynamic that lacks finish due to a lot of reasons.
He can do himself a world of good if he wasnt using Charas long ass stick.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So is 21 shots the lowest total Varly has seen in his career with the Avs? It has to be ****ing close lol..

I just did a cursory look but I think 18 is his lowest shot total with the Avs. Once against against Vancouver March 28th during 2012-13 and again against Winnipeg on Nov 11th during 2015-16.

He's had a few other games of 21, 20, and 19 shots as well.

Faced 17 back with Washington once too.

Semyon Varlamov Stats and News

Reactions: MrPeePee and Murzu

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I just did a cursory look but I think 18 is his lowest shot total with the Avs. Once against against Vancouver March 28th during 2012-13 and again against Winnipeg on Nov 11th during 2015-16.

He's had a few other games of 21, 20, and 19 shots as well.

Faced 17 back with Washington once too.

Semyon Varlamov Stats and News

Thanks I knew it was up there at least lol.

Reactions: 21 and Murzu

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
I liked that Big Z seemed to get away with some of the big boy stuff that has gotten him penalties during previous seasons.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I don't think I'm a fan of Dries and I still don't like Wilson (who had a good game) on the 2nd line. Also, how nervous were the Avs, especially in the third period? Still a good game considering it was the season opener. Rantanen will be a star at the end of this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad