Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

giphy.gif

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
What a great opener!! The Can was rocking last night and beating the Wild always feels good! Got to take a good friend to his first ever live hockey game last night, he was psyched to say the least.

A few thoughts:
Minnesota was struggling to connect anything and had to resort to playing some Sacco brand dump and chase hockey last night. The quick outlet passes had Minnesota scrambling to catch up and our defense is soooooo much better at moving the puck than years past. I wonder how many times we shut down the rush in the neutral zone, because it didn't seem like the Wild could get past their own blue line with the puck half the time.
Sammy G was solid outside of that blunder that led to the Minny goal. Bet you that won't happen much this season. The kid is solid gold, the way he pushes the play is a treat to watch. As someone else said around here, with Barrie and Girard playing 40+ minutes a night this team will be so dangerous with the puck in transition. We are going to score a lot of goals that way.
Looks like we are getting the best of One-eyed Carl this season. He was lights out last night. On pace for 82 goals :sarcasm:
Landy looked rusty, he will be better I'm sure. MacK and Rants picked up right where they left off. Mikko is a freak of nature along the boards. He makes stealing the puck off the stick of the defender look so casual.
Dubnyk is so snake bitten by the Avs right now, it is awesome to see how shellshocked the Wild looked nearly the whole night. The change from when we couldn't even get it out of our zone against this team to today makes my heart feel full.
The zebras were in preseason form last night. They really went out of their way to make a bunch of questionable calls. I'm not talking about the Wilson punch by the way, that one I was okay with. Most of the "matching minors" were Minnesota just getting beat and getting lucky.

What a great first game! If last night is any indication this season is going to be boat loads of fun! Lets go Avs!!

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why MacKinnon wasn’t interviewed?

It looked really weird when he was going on the ice. He looked confused when he was looking back on someone in the tunnel.
Likely a mixup when paging down the three stars.

Used to be my job to tell the players who the stars were in the AHL. Often when there’s last minute goals there are mixups and it’s difficult to hear when the arena is loud. I’d bet Dubnyk was a late pity add to the 3 stars which lead to the mixup.

Reactions: Murzu

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Okay, I thought Nate just didn't want to be interviewed. He's not the biggest fan of interviews from what I can tell. But whatever.

Anyway, solid debut. The top line wasn't clicking on all cylinders but it didn't matter because the other three lines were cookin'. Dare I say it, it's only one game but Matt Calvert may have won me over.

Also, Tyson Jost actually looked...fast? Or did Minny just look slow? He is noticeably quicker than last season, and that's great. Kerf didn't look out of place at all on the 2nd line either.

I still think they need to put someone else on that 3rd line RW spot though. GB had a decent game but there was at least one occasion, maybe two, where the puck landed on his stick and he made a weird decision that killed the play. I don't think they should break up Nieto and Soderberg if they can help it though, those two are locked in, as demonstrated by the pass that set up the break and opening Avs goal.

Lastly: Sam Girard. f*** yeah.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Why MacKinnon wasn’t interviewed?

It looked really weird when he was going on the ice. He looked confused when he was looking back on someone in the tunnel.

Assuming they’ve got someone in PR in the tunnel informing players who are the stars of the game to stick around, my undoubtedly wrong impression was that Rantanen was the 1st star, but MacK was announced, so he gave a half hearted celebratory curtain call. Otherwise, he just didn’t want to talk to LG. :dunno:

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Calvert - Strong debut. Definitely more than just a plug. Very fast. Did he get promoted to the Söderberg line or was that just temporary? That'd make the 4th line quite weak.
Kerfoot - He was the best player on the 2nd line, though overall the line did not work.
Dries - He doesn't PK? Strange that he's up. Only played 5 minutes.
Jost - People have said he's gotten faster, but I didn't notice it.
Wilson - Healthy Wilson doesn't seem any better than recovering Wilson.
Söderberg - Had a good game, I wonder if he'll eventually end up playing with Jost and Kerfoot?
Rantanen - He looks even better than last year. Better balance and uses his body more.

Girard - Almost a perfect game for him. That first goal might have been his fault though? Went to cover the boards but the Wild player passed to the open player in front of the net. He did also get out-muscled at least once. Those are minor complaints though, kid played like an elite D.
Cole - Plays a very physical game and if he keeps that up, he'll be a great addition.
Zadorov - Compared to Cole, Zadorov seems a bit more like he's chasing big hits and being an agitator.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I’d also like to point out that I’m definitely eating some crow on Bednar. I was fully on the fire him wagon, but he really seems to know how to get the best out of all our guys.

^Yup. Me too. I was very hard on him after his first season, but he has turned it around and done a really good job here.

I didn't see the Jost quickness either (remember Minny is a pretty slow team). He looks more settled on his skates and stronger than last year, but I don't see the quickness increase yet. That line honestly worries me the most. They will need to figure out how to finish somehow, someway. There are 2 talented players and a plug... so maybe it is swapping out Wilson and finding someone. But they will need somebody with some size that can finish. Not exactly easy to find.

Soda really deserves to play with some talent... Long Beach and Coach's BFF isn't a great combo for him. Hopefully Kamenev can pick up his game and slide onto that line.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Girard with almost 2 full minutes more 5 on 5 ice time then any other Dman last night. Kid has a remarkably bright future ahead if he's about to be this teams #1D at the grizzly old age of 20 years.

He had a lot of great transitions last night on the ice. Clean breakout passes or carries. Seems extremely effective at ES and on the PP. I just hope he adapts as other players pick up on his craftiness.

I was pleasantly surprised with how the Avs played so spread out in terms of their talent. But it's Minnesota, not a great test. I think Vegas is going to be a good example of what this team is made of, they were well coached last night. So is Vegas. Let's see what happens there, I expect as the season wears on we're going to be starting to stack the lineup more and have a black hole 4th line just out of necessity.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
On Bednar, I think part of the reason why it worked out with him is that we did swap out most of that team. I still wouldn't trust him to commandeer a team that's going through rough times.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
^Yup. Me too. I was very hard on him after his first season, but he has turned it around and done a really good job here.

I didn't see the Jost quickness either (remember Minny is a pretty slow team). He looks more settled on his skates and stronger than last year, but I don't see the quickness increase yet. That line honestly worries me the most. They will need to figure out how to finish somehow, someway. There are 2 talented players and a plug... so maybe it is swapping out Wilson and finding someone. But they will need somebody with some size that can finish. Not exactly easy to find.

Soda really deserves to play with some talent... Long Beach and Coach's BFF isn't a great combo for him. Hopefully Kamenev can pick up his game and slide onto that line.
I like Soda's line a lot to be honest. It doesn't look great on paper but it's working well on both sides of the ice.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
On Bednar, I think part of the reason why it worked out with him is that we did swap out most of that team. I still wouldn't trust him to commandeer a team that's going through rough times.

Well he’s been the coach of the worst team in modern history and ressurected that same team to a playoff spot last year. I can’t see why he’d be a bad choice for a team going through some tough stuff.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I don't quite get this, are you saying you wouldn't trust Bednar with a bad team? Is there really any coach you'd trust?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Okay, I thought Nate just didn't want to be interviewed. He's not the biggest fan of interviews from what I can tell. But whatever.

Anyway, solid debut. The top line wasn't clicking on all cylinders but it didn't matter because the other three lines were cookin'. Dare I say it, it's only one game but Matt Calvert may have won me over.

Also, Tyson Jost actually looked...fast? Or did Minny just look slow? He is noticeably quicker than last season, and that's great. Kerf didn't look out of place at all on the 2nd line either.

I still think they need to put someone else on that 3rd line RW spot though. GB had a decent game but there was at least one occasion, maybe two, where the puck landed on his stick and he made a weird decision that killed the play. I don't think they should break up Nieto and Soderberg if they can help it though, those two are locked in, as demonstrated by the pass that set up the break and opening Avs goal.

Lastly: Sam Girard. **** yeah.
Matt Calvert is my new Dan Hinote. Nothing but heart.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Calvert - Strong debut. Definitely more than just a plug. Very fast. Did he get promoted to the Söderberg line or was that just temporary? That'd make the 4th line quite weak.
Kerfoot - He was the best player on the 2nd line, though overall the line did not work.
Dries - He doesn't PK? Strange that he's up. Only played 5 minutes.
Jost - People have said he's gotten faster, but I didn't notice it.
Wilson - Healthy Wilson doesn't seem any better than recovering Wilson.
Söderberg - Had a good game, I wonder if he'll eventually end up playing with Jost and Kerfoot?
Rantanen - He looks even better than last year. Better balance and uses his body more.

Girard - Almost a perfect game for him. That first goal might have been his fault though? Went to cover the boards but the Wild player passed to the open player in front of the net. He did also get out-muscled at least once. Those are minor complaints though, kid played like an elite D.
Cole - Plays a very physical game and if he keeps that up, he'll be a great addition.
Zadorov - Compared to Cole, Zadorov seems a bit more like he's chasing big hits and being an agitator.

Watch him on a few of the back checks hes definetly gotten faster. Rantanen has also gotten a dash quicker out there.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Well he’s been the coach of the worst team in modern history and ressurected that same team to a playoff spot last year. I can’t see why he’d be a bad choice for a team going through some tough stuff.

It's not the same team at least in my opinion. If it was, I don't think he'd still have been able to do anything about it. I think some coaches are better than others at dealing with a team that's in a crisis.

Watch him on a few of the back checks hes definetly gotten faster. Rantanen has also gotten a dash quicker out there.

Yeah I also thought Rantanen was a bit quicker, but omitted that part as I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination playing tricks on me lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3