GDT: Game 1: Mild @ Avalanche - 7PM - HOCKEY IS BACK

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
The ice wasn't good last night. You could see after the 1st that they did a poor job resurfacing it between periods, and the rest of the game the puck was jumping all over.

Reactions: Murzu

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
The ice wasn't good last night. You could see after the 1st that they did a poor job resurfacing it between periods, and the rest of the game the puck was jumping all over.
I wasn't there last night, but I went to all the preseason games, and I noticed the zamboni driver left so much water in front of the goal just about every period. The surface itself was so uneven, some parts had pools of water others were basically dry scraped.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I know you don't want to hear it, but Barrie needs to get more imagination out there besides taking the puck and passing it off to Mack or whomever. IMO that is what was wrong with the 4-3 last night. I'm not saying this to try and start another Barrie argument, but that is what I saw last night.
How can you expect a player playing the middle point role to be more imaginative? He's only got a few options, and that's MacKinnon to his left, Rantanen to his right, or a shot on goal via one-timer or on his own. The PP is set up for MacKinnon to be the QB on it, that's why Barrie will get him the puck most of the time.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
How can you expect a player playing the middle point role to be more imaginative? He's only got a few options, and that's MacKinnon to his left, Rantanen to his right, or a shot on goal via one-timer or on his own. The PP is set up for MacKinnon to be the QB on it, that's why Barrie will get him the puck most of the time.

I might be being too critical here. That is what I saw, though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think imagination and a high level of creativity is necessary on the PP. Quick, smart, and tape to tape puck movement, along with quick feet, and everyone being on the same page knowing what each other is going to do works better IMO.

Creativity is much better utilized against tight checking 5 on 5. When you're 5 on 4 or 4 on 3, you already have the advantage, and you more or less know exactly where the PK is gonna be. You just have to execute the plan everyone has agreed to.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Trade Girard while his value is at an all-time high.

His contract demands are going to be unreal.

I know you're being facetious, but this can be alleviated with a long term contract if Girard has another two really good seasons to prove himself. Him and Mikko are pretty safe IMO to project what they'll be in the NHL, and worthy of long term deals, the same way Landy was safe to project and smart to lock up long term.

Reactions: Murzu and Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I know you're being facetious, but this can be alleviated with a long term contract if Girard has another two really good seasons to prove himself. Him and Mikko are pretty safe IMO to project what they'll be in the NHL, and worthy of long term deals, the same way Landy was safe to project and smart to lock up long term.

Lock Girard up long-term while the offense isn't all the way there because Barrie is in all the prime offensive situations and then have it look like a complete steal once Girard takes over as the best defenseman on the team in the not too distant future.

Reactions: Murzu and Pure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad