Player Discussion Galchenyuk Appreciation Thread

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
You make me say many things I didn't say. Yes I used to be a fan of DD, but I was also happy when he left because he wasn't good anymore. Domi? I think most people will learn to love him too. I love the players who leave everything on the ice. The Gallagher type, this is my type of players. Domi is in the same mold.

I never said Galchenyuk already reached his potential. I believe he hasn't. There's no doubt he's more talented than Domi. The question is : will he ever have the maturity and dedication to reach his potential? I have my doubts about that.

Eller? It was a mistake to let him go.

I don't believe Galchenyuk 30 goals season was a fluke. But can he do that on a winning team, and accumulate goals during important games and not just when the season is lost? While also being responsible defensively? That remains to be seen. I also don't believe Domi's rookie season was a fluke. He has just 3 seasons in the NHL, compared to 6 for Galchenyuk. There's a lot of room left to grow here.
The thing is Galchenyuk's point totals have improved every season he played in the (or at least his PPG did) until this last season when it appears he was being purposely sabotaged with 3rd line minutes and linemates most of the season. I have no doubt that if healthy he will put up a career season next year and we're going to look silly.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
The thing is Galchenyuk's point totals have improved every season he played in the (or at least his PPG did) until this last season when it appears he was being purposely sabotaged with 3rd line minutes and linemates most of the season. I have no doubt that if healthy he will put up a career season next year and we're going to look silly.

There are a few factors that will come in line for this to happen but he will most definetly have a better chance in Arizona then he ever did in Montreal.

The family won't be as close and perhaps the whole thing may have been an eye opener.

Hopefully they don't do the same to Kotkaniemi.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You want to quote Nilan? Because Nilan said that the Habs practice was the dummest thing he ever saw. The players would do ten drills and not once were the players ever corrected on anything by the coaching staff.

Farber was right AG wasn't going to score 30G here the way he was being used. After 6 years I've seen enough of what this org has to offer.Cut bait? How about cutting Marc Bergevin and his cronies? Bergevin should have been fired the moment he suggested trading Subban to Geoff Molson. The team still could have been saved then.

Im not going to disagree but thats not the reality we live in today.

At the end of the day a player who the org and the FANS see won't fulfill their potential here was moved for a guy that the other org felt the same way. If Geoff fired MB then it would be different. Dont like the trade and would of preferred a top 15 pick or LD/C if AG had to be moved.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
There are a few factors that will come in line for this to happen but he will most definetly have a better chance in Arizona then he ever did in Montreal.

The family won't be as close and perhaps the whole thing may have been an eye opener.

If Kotkaniemi is our pick (I'm starting to warm up to this based off of what I've read) I'll be shocked if he plays meaninful NHL games with Bergevin as GM as I don't see him making the NHL right away.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
True enough… doesn't make it right and is a contributing factor to the dysfunction.

It also doesn't make it true. Self-appointed insiders, radio "personalities" with an axe to grind, or posters here who have a "source close to the Habs" have no credibility.

There are a few here who allegedly "know a guy" and use that specious position to spread unsubstantiated rumours.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
If Kotkaniemi is our pick (I'm starting to warm up to this based off of what I've read) I'll be shocked if he plays meaninful NHL games with Bergevin as GM as I don't see him making the NHL right away.

I don't know the kid enough to be honest so I can't really make an opinion on him. I've just read what most people say. I've watched highlights a bit and he looks good on the ice but highlights rarely do justice.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
It also doesn't make it true. Self-appointed insiders, radio "personalities" with an axe to grind, or posters here who have a "source close to the Habs" have no credibility.

There are a few here who allegedly "know a guy" and use that specious position to spread unsubstantiated rumours.

Is Pierre Mcguire on these forums? :sarcasm:

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island

I find using the substance abuse/rehab rumor (whether true or not) to justify the trade, even if only in part, inappropriate and trashy.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I don't know the kid enough to be honest so I can't really make an opinion on him. I've just read what most people say. I've watched highlights a bit and he looks good on the ice but highlights rarely do justice.
Well the thing is he's super young and while he is playing in a men's league he is not putting up big numbers. I couldn't possibly see him being ready next year.

Reactions: Habsddicted

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

You know what, you failed to acknowledge one thing about these stories. Regardless of whether or not Galencheyuk's dad butted heads with management or not because Galchy Sr thought his son should have been used as center and at the end of the day Alex Galchenyuk's father was right. Of course marc bergevin disagreed with him. He's said so one million times that he sees Alex as a winger while 99% of the hockey world sees him as a center. What do you expect his father to say when his son is being passed over for players like JDLR, McCarron, Danault, Desharnis, Drouin, Froese. It's why this team is where it is today because of incompetent management. Of course Alex dad disagreed. I would be screaming in Bergevin's face right now and I'm not even his father.

At the end of the day Galcheyuk get's his career back while playing center for another team and make his millions of dollars and it's the fans that are left suffering once again from the loss of another talented player. This isn't even a kid who's crying to play ahead of Crosby or Malkin, he literally couldn't crack the lineup ahead of AHL players. LET THAT SINK IN FFS.

Hopefully they don't do the same to Kotkaniemi? When was the last time this franchise developed a prospect into an NHL quality talent?

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
You know what, you failed to acknowledge one thing about these stories. Regardless of whether or not Galencheyuk's dad butted heads with management or not because Galchy Sr thought his son should have been used as center and at the end of the day Alex Galchenyuk's father was right. Of course marc bergevin disagreed with him. He's said so one million times that he sees Alex as a winger while 99% of the hockey world sees him as a center. What do you expect his father to say when his son is being passed over for players like JDLR, McCarron, Danault, Desharnis, Drouin, Froese. It's why this team is where it is today because of incompetent management. Of course Alex dad disagreed. I would be screaming in Bergevin's face right now and I'm not even his father.

At the end of the day Galcheyuk get's his career back while playing center for another team and make his millions of dollars and it's the fans that are left suffering once again from the loss of another talented player. This isn't even a kid who's crying to play ahead of Crosby or Malkin, he literally couldn't crack the lineup ahead of AHL players. LET THAT SINK IN FFS.

Hopefully they don't do the same to Kotkaniemi? When was the last time this franchise developed a prospect into an NHL quality talent?

Please....it's not even a sure bet that Chucky will be playing C with Arizona. This is an LW for LW trade. If Chucky somehow manages to get a full-time job at C, good for him. But I'll bet my house that Arizona will never seriously contend with AG as a top-6 C.

Reactions: Tourist

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
And AG wont be the reason why. Theyve never "seriously contended"

Any team relying on AG to play a meaningful role in a top-6 C role will be disappointed. He needs to be slotted in a supporting role (think Burakovski in Washington) if the team has any desires on contending.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018

And where did you hear that his father was giving him pointers about being a center? I know it's one of the logical things but there could be plenty of other things he was influencing such as his style of play. He clearly didn't pass off as a center playing wing and he clearly wasn't looking too sharp playing wing either.

I'd be doing the same thing then you at Bergevin, by the way. He played behind Ahl'ers because he has no fight on the ice. If he could go back to his OHL ways or even how he played before his injury(yes I know,as a center) then that would already be a giant plus in his favor. Hopefully he can change attitude.

Good recent prospects? Danault, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Hudon, Subban, Eller, there's plenty more. Centers? Now you could have a case.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Well the thing is he's super young and while he is playing in a men's league he is not putting up big numbers. I couldn't possibly see him being ready next year.

That's pretty much my take on him. Plus he hasn't played center in his league yet. He probably will starting next year but that's another story.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Couldn't have said it better.

Reactions: Peanut

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Please....it's not even a sure bet that Chucky will be playing C with Arizona. This is an LW for LW trade. If Chucky somehow manages to get a full-time job at C, good for him. But I'll bet my house that Arizona will never seriously contend with AG as a top-6 C.

That's like saying the Montreal Canadiens will never seriously contend with Drouin and Domi as their #1-2 centers but what I can promise you is that galchenyuk will out score the two guys this team chose to use as their centers ahead of him.

Reactions: Peanut

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Chucky will score in ARZ most definitely. He is quite good in garbage time and that's all ARZ ever play in.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Chucky will score in ARZ most definitely. He is quite good in garbage time and that's all ARZ ever play in.

MTL will be garbage for years to come too, difference is at least with Chucky it would be fun to watch and garbage instead of boring and garbage.

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Good recent prospects? Danault, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Hudon, Subban, Eller, there's plenty more. Centers? Now you could have a case.

Danault was not drafted by the habs. Gallagher was drafted by previous regime. Lehkonen, 21 points is abysmal and actually regressed under this coach. Hudon? Meh I like the kid but he's a 3rd liner. Subban and Eller? You bring up both guys that were trashed by this management and rudely put out the door and only saw success once they left? Both played a couple of years for Martin before this management got their greasy hands on them. So yea not good examples. If anything it proves how terrible this team is at drafting and development.

Final note, I have nothing against Domi... I kind of like the kid but apparently he has diabetes. I don't know how this affects his work out routine and day to day but at least Chucky's demons can be exorcised, diabetes is for life. I hope they understand this and give him their full support. We saw how quick they were to turn on Kassian when they failed to give him the proper support he needed and Shaw now has concussion issues too. This management does not make good decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad