Player Discussion Galchenyuk Appreciation Thread

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Please....it's not even a sure bet that Chucky will be playing C with Arizona. This is an LW for LW trade. If Chucky somehow manages to get a full-time job at C, good for him. But I'll bet my house that Arizona will never seriously contend with AG as a top-6 C.
If Arizona's mid to long term plan is to use Galchenyuk as a top C, then they're settling for mediocrity much like the Habs have been and their fate will be no better. The league is faster than ever. It's a bad idea to go to war with a bad skater, poor IQ player with no commitment to two-way play at the forward position that requires the most responsibilities.

Anyway, I still wish the Habs kept Galchenyuk. He has the kind of puck skills I love in a player. The kind of puck skills the Habs should get more of, not get rid of. I feel the organization failed to help him reach his potential as a Hab and that's a shame. I wish him the best in Arizona. When he's confident he's a great offensive weapon.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Danault was not drafted by the habs. Gallagher was drafted by previous regime. Lehkonen, 21 points is abysmal and actually regressed under this coach. Hudon? Meh I like the kid but he's a 3rd liner. Subban and Eller? You bring up both guys that were trashed by this management and rudely put out the door and only saw success once they left? Both played a couple of years for Martin before this management got their greasy hands on them. So yea not good examples. If anything it proves how terrible this team is at drafting and development.

Final note, I have nothing against Domi... I kind of like the kid but apparently he has diabetes. I don't know how this affects his work out routine and day to day but at least Chucky's demons can be exorcised, diabetes is for life. I hope they understand this and give him their full support. We saw how quick they were to turn on Kassian when they failed to give him the proper support he needed and Shaw now has concussion issues too. This management does not make good decisions.
Check out the TSN interview on youtube with him, it was in his rookie season with the Coyotes if I remember.he explain he has Type 1 Diabetes. Pretty interesting and shows also his human side.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm not going to lie, I almost fainted when I read this from you. Welcome aboard!

Well... im not surprised... she hated Gainey after he sent Serge K packing to smashville..

..not a big stretch to assume she liked Chucky like a lot of us did, and sending him packing was the proverbial straw in regards to Bergy.

Erika has her limits too, god bless her.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
You know what, you failed to acknowledge one thing about these stories. Regardless of whether or not Galencheyuk's dad butted heads with management or not because Galchy Sr thought his son should have been used as center and at the end of the day Alex Galchenyuk's father was right. Of course marc bergevin disagreed with him. He's said so one million times that he sees Alex as a winger while 99% of the hockey world sees him as a center. What do you expect his father to say when his son is being passed over for players like JDLR, McCarron, Danault, Desharnis, Drouin, Froese. It's why this team is where it is today because of incompetent management. Of course Alex dad disagreed. I would be screaming in Bergevin's face right now and I'm not even his father.

At the end of the day Galcheyuk get's his career back while playing center for another team and make his millions of dollars and it's the fans that are left suffering once again from the loss of another talented player. This isn't even a kid who's crying to play ahead of Crosby or Malkin, he literally couldn't crack the lineup ahead of AHL players. LET THAT SINK IN FFS.

Hopefully they don't do the same to Kotkaniemi? When was the last time this franchise developed a prospect into an NHL quality talent?

Look, the guy hasn't played center for any meaningful stretch of games since he was 16. And he's been coached by at least five different guys on four different teams in that span:

Jacques Beaulieu (Sarnia Sting)
Phil Housley (US 2013 U20)
Michel Therrien
Joe Sacco (US 2013 World Championships)
Claude Julien

So why do you think that 99% of the hockey world sees him as a center?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Look, the guy hasn't played center for any meaningful stretch of games since he was 16. And he's been coached by at least five different guys on four different teams in that span:

Michel Therrien
Claude Julien

Yeah exactly. Remember when Julien was hired, at his press conference? He was asked about Alex at C and said he wants to give him a shot. After about 5 games he was yanked. Julien with 700 NHL games coached had seen enough. All the HFboards experts on this topic really seem to be going against the grain of what lots of NHL vet coaches decide, including both MT and Julien who were desperate for Centres. Chucky just doesn't have the chops for it, but I guess we'll all get another lesson in Phoenix in a few months. Will be surprised if he lasts through pre-season.

That said, he could be a damn effective winger if he figures out how to find the open ice a bit better and be in position to rip his one-timer more, which is ++. Regular 30+ goal guy if he could do that and find chemistry with a centreman who knows to look for him those spots. Would love to see him finally figure that out since I feel he is close. Fun player to watch with he big shot and slick hands.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Michel Therrien
Claude Julien

You're right it was dumbass Jacques Beaulieu that moved him from center sidetracking his development...

"Galchenyuk has played mostly on the right wing this season, a change from his usual centre position, and it has added another element of versatility to his game. The change to wing has been implemented by Coach Jacques Beaulieu to keep Galchenyuk and Sarault together on the same line, forming one of the Canadian Hockey League’s top trios with Boucher on the left wing."

But don't tell me the kid doesn't have the tools to be a center. He was drafted to be a center straight out of Bergevin's mouth. He played 1/4 of his rookie season at center. They should have kept him there or sent him down because at the end of the day they NEEDED him to be a center or did Therrien think that Desharnais was going to be an NHL superstar until he was 40? You don't think that Galchenyuk was good at center, that's fine then why was Drouin given an entire year at center despite being completely awful and much worse than Galchenyuk ever was?

Coyotes don't make this trade if they don't believe Galchenyuk can play center.

Galchenyuk said Saturday on vacation in Italy. "You're more involved in the game, and I feel you touch the puck, you have the puck on your stick way more than a winger. I feel really comfortable when I have the puck on my stick. I really believe in my offensive abilities when I have the puck. I feel like when you're playing center you have more ice."

"I don't think we'd make this trade if we didn't think he had the ability to play center," Chayka said. "He's got all the attributes to play the position. He's big (6-foot-1, 207 pounds), strong, skates well, makes good plays. Offensively, he's clearly better playing out of the middle of the ice. It's just the details of playing center and commitment to playing it 82 games. For a lot of young centers, it's an issue, and we feel he's in that group, but we're betting on a change of scenery, getting him to Arizona with Rick Tocchet."

Last edited:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Yeah exactly. Remember when Julien was hired, at his press conference? He was asked about Alex at C and said he wants to give him a shot. After about 5 games he was yanked. Julien with 700 NHL games coached had seen enough. All the HFboards experts on this topic really seem to be going against the grain of what lots of NHL vet coaches decide, including both MT and Julien who were desperate for Centres. Chucky just doesn't have the chops for it, but I guess we'll all get another lesson in Phoenix in a few months. Will be surprised if he lasts through pre-season.

That said, he could be a damn effective winger if he figures out how to find the open ice a bit better and be in position to rip his one-timer more, which is ++. Regular 30+ goal guy if he could do that and find chemistry with a centreman who knows to look for him those spots. Would love to see him finally figure that out since I feel he is close. Fun player to watch with he big shot and slick hands.

Claude gave Chucky 5 games and you think that's enough time to know if a player can play center? Wtf is wrong with you? By the time Claude Julien took over, Galchenyuk was just coming back from a very serious knee injury including a setback which saw him miss even more time, of course he wasn't 100%. Galchenyuk played center the entire season leading up to his injury... his point total? 23 points in 25 games and a team record for best start in franchise history.

I'm supposed to be impressed by Julien? Boston couldn't wait to get rid of this clown and they turned it around pretty damn quick once he got the boot. If Julien doesn't speak francais he's still at home smoking his pipe on the porch drinking his labatt blue.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Claude gave Chucky 5 games and you think that's enough time to know if a player can play center? Wtf is wrong with you? By the time Claude Julien took over, Galchenyuk was just coming back from a very serious knee injury including a setback which saw him miss even more time, of course he wasn't 100%. Galchenyuk played center the entire season leading up to his injury... his point total? 23 points in 25 games and a team record for best start in franchise history.

I'm supposed to be impressed by Julien? Boston couldn't wait to get rid of this clown and they turned it around pretty damn quick once he got the boot. If Julien doesn't speak francais he's still at home smoking his pipe on the porch drinking his labatt blue.
yup, the Claude who thought Byron would do a better job at C for a few games, and the Claude who gave Galchenyuk a C of delaRose calibre to end the season...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

The funny thing is that Julien had no problem giving Drouin the whole season at centre and surely no one could try and brainwash us that Drouin was better than Galchenyuk. He was so bad but had the backing of the media based on the wishes of our gm Tony Sopraneaux.

Reactions: Peanut

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

Facts say that Galchenyuk performs best as a C. You can have your opinions but not my your own facts.

Julien also got rid of Tyler Seguin. His partner in crime at the the time then went on to get rid of Taylor Hall. His current partner in time also got rid of PK Subban.

When you have a mentality, a groupthink that believes 3 bonafide all star players with high-end skill coming into their prime are to blame for your teams issues, then you deserve to be questioned. Every. Step. Of. The. Way.

God forbid any of these character obsessed guys were in charge of the Washington Capitals. They’d have definitely pulled the trigger on Ovi, Kuzy or even John Carlson, then be left wondering why A bunch of Tom Wilson’s and Jay Beagle’s haven’t made them contenders.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

yeah Julien (and every coach who doesn't like Chucky's game) is just a dumb dumb what does he know about coaching hockey? He's past 700 NHL games coached and won a cup, but he's just there thanks to affirmative action? You just trolling now?

Chucky might prefer playing centre, just like a lot of forwards might prefer to sit around cherry picking all game so they can score more, but experienced NHL coaches have gotten looks at him there and decided he's hopeless at playing the position properly because his positioning and 2-way game suck. But what do they know? I guess he'll get another shot in the desert though, there will be low expectations in that club.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Facts say that Galchenyuk performs best as a C. You can have your opinions but not my your own facts.

Julien also got rid of Tyler Seguin. His partner in crime at the the time then went on to get rid of Taylor Hall. His current partner in time also got rid of PK Subban.

When you have a mentality, a groupthink that believes 3 bonafide all star players with high-end skill coming into their prime are to blame for your teams issues, then you deserve to be questioned. Every. Step. Of. The. Way.

God forbid any of these character obsessed guys were in charge of the Washington Capitals. They’d have definitely pulled the trigger on Ovi, Kuzy or even John Carlson, then be left wondering why A bunch of Tom Wilson’s and Jay Beagle’s haven’t made them contenders.

That was Chiarelli and Neely... A couple of bonafide boneheads.

Julien by the way spent a tonne of time and energy turning the very problematic character of Brad Marchand into the elite impact player he is today so don't give us this crap theory of yours that Julien hates bad character.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
That was Chiarelli and Neely... A couple of bonafide boneheads.

Julien by the way spent a tonne of time and energy turning the very problematic charactera a of Brad Marchand into the elite impact player he is today so don't give us this crap theory of yours that Julien hates bad character.
Marchand isn’t a bad character in the old school hockey sense. Just like Andrew Shaw isn’t.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
H
So Chucky is Malkin now? Good luck Rick...

He didn't say he was Malkin, he said he was a high-end player , who can make mistakes like any higher- end player. It seems Tocchet has acknowledged they received a higher- end player in exchange for the 9 goal scorer who thinks the city of Montreal sucks.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
H

He didn't say he was Malkin, he said he was a high-end player , who can make mistakes like any higher- end player. It seems Tocchet has acknowledged they received a higher- end player in exchange for the 9 goal scorer who thinks the city of Montreal sucks.

There's a big difference between Chucky and Malkin!

The problem with Chucky was that he was outplayed by the opposition even when he was putting up points but the majority of this board will ignore it... Just being ignorant doesn't make you smart...

Or Chucky an amazing player...

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
There's a big difference between Chucky and Malkin!

The problem with Chucky was that he was outplayed by the opposition even when he was putting up points but the majority of this board will ignore it... Just being ignorant doesn't make you smart...

Or Chucky an amazing player...

He's a higher-end player who can make mistakes like any higher-end player says Rick Tocchet. I agree with his assessment when comparing the 9 goal scorer they gave away and the higher-end player they received.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He's a higher-end player who can make mistakes like any higher-end player says Rick Tocchet. I agree with his assessment when comparing the 9 goal scorer they gave away and the higher-end player they received.

And he's a high-end player because? Domi has roughly the same ppg as Chucky in the NHL

One is a high-end player and the other is 9 goal scorer scrub?

You clearly have no clue man.

Inform yourself...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad