Player Discussion Galchenyuk Appreciation Thread

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Never liked his on ice attitude. He had a great shot though and maybe in the right situation he will flourish. He's gotta have like a Crosby/Kuznetsov type center to get the best out of him because he lacks the speed to create space on his own.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
It's simply not true. Just like how Grant McCragg lied saying PK Subban was being late to practice 18 times. Just some lowlife reporters trying to earn some kickback for doing the Habs a favor. Very classless.

The article says that Galchenyuk talked to his father between periods of every game. And people believe that? You don't think this would have been a problem sooner if this were true? Besides Therrien and Jullien are a bunch of bums, I wouldn't listen to them if they were my coach either.

Lol it's been a problem since he's been drafted, what are you talking about? Everyone knew Galchy's dad was in the picture from the beginning.

BTW I'm a Galchy lover and a hater of MB. Galchy would have been my pick over Yakupov back then.

Reactions: Laurentide

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Its crazy were in the Galchenyuk appreciation thread and there is still people trying to spew bull****.

Im just waiting for someone to spew the Tocchet will no tolerate Galchenyuk defensive play. When he has clearly stated the direction the NHL is going already said its ok for players to make mistakes.
First of all, it's not bull****. These are things that happened. I know that to admit that Galchenyuk had faults doesn't jibe with the narrative of him being a hapless victim of Bergevin, Therrien and Julien but this kid had and still has issues. He has been to rehab for substance abuse and he does have a father who is trying to stage manage his career. These are objective facts.

As for Tocchet not tolerating his defensive play, it isn't about making mistakes. It's about indifferent play. Everyone makes mistakes and that can be tolerated to a point. What cannot be tolerated is displaying indifference toward those aspects of the game which don't interest you. If your coach is telling you that you need to pay attention to this or apply yourself more to these aspects then you need to do that, not merely ignore him and keep doing whatever you want. That's what gets you on to the 4th line. That's what causes your coach to lose confidence in you. Being a gym rat who shows up early to the rink doesn't compensate for refusing to do what your coach tells you to do. And if Galchenyuk keeps stubbornly following his father's instructions rather than Tocchet's he's going to find himself in the same place he was in Montreal: on the outs.

Reactions: Habsddicted

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Alex Galchenyuk is a gym rat. He was always one of the last ones to leave the ice. He might have had his limitations but he wasn't lazy. Not like he had a coach that showed him anything. Michel Therrien and Claude Julien, two bozo coaches or JJD trying to "teach" PK Subban LMAO. What a joke.

Chucky will finally have a real coach with Rick Tocchet for the first time in his career and he will become superstar. Book it.

It is not what I wrote. Galchenyuk is a Gym rat..no doubt about that....but I said that he did worked on his weaknesses like his shot while skating. He is not alone . Offensive players have all offensive weaknesses and a lot of them don't work on it.... They work on their physical condition and on their strenghts.. gally always had a great one timer and was still practice it a lot...but not on his backhand pass etc.. I am not knocking on the guy ..i always like him..it's an obeservation...i love to watch the players technicaly.

When a player lost a lot of battle in the corners... 95% of the fans will say that the guy has no heart...personaly I look at his puck protection..how he use his hip, his knee, his hand etc to protect the puck....Crosby is the master in that department....eveybody said at the time that Kostitsyn was lazy etc...but his main problem in the corners was his puck protection...he was strong like a horse....but his body position was so bad in the corners.....i was asking myself at the time...Is Carbonneau sees it ..

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Regardless of all the off-ice drama that has been linked to Galchenyuk, he's at-best a mediocre 2nd line winger who's bad defensively but has the chance to excel in PP situations or favourable (i.e. sheltered) ice time. Not worth it IMO. You essentially have to re-design your team to accommodate this guy and the reward is mid-level 2nd line production.

Reactions: Laurentide

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Regardless of all the off-ice drama that has been linked to Galchenyuk, he's at-best a mediocre 2nd line winger who's bad defensively but has the chance to excel in PP situations or favourable (i.e. sheltered) ice time. Not worth it IMO. You essentially have to re-design your team to accommodate this guy and the reward is mid-level 2nd line production.
5o point career average = mediocre 2nd line winger? Add in the fact that for the most part, he has been shuffled around the lineup never building chemistry and he is definitely above a "mediocre 2nd line winger".

Reactions: Pickles and Peanut

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
2r6nts4.gif

MB to Claude : He never should have wiped his nose on the logo. Claude to MB :nod:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
It is not what I wrote. Galchenyuk is a Gym rat..no doubt about that....but I said that he did worked on his weaknesses like his shot while skating. He is not alone . Offensive players have all offensive weaknesses and a lot of them don't work on it.... They work on their physical condition and on their strenghts.. gally always had a great one timer and was still practice it a lot...but not on his backhand pass etc.. I am not knocking on the guy ..i always like him..it's an obeservation...i love to watch the players technicaly.

When a player lost a lot of battle in the corners... 95% of the fans will say that the guy has no heart...personaly I look at his puck protection..how he use his hip, his knee, his hand etc to protect the puck....Crosby is the master in that department....eveybody said at the time that Kostitsyn was lazy etc...but his main problem in the corners was his puck protection...he was strong like a horse....but his body position was so bad in the corners.....i was asking myself at the time...Is Carbonneau sees it ..

I get it... a player still needs to work on his strengths and you do bring up some good points. But who's job is it to tell the player to work on his weakness? Is it on the players to take on this responsibility or for the coach to help the player develop his weakness? If a school teacher sees that student is already good at multiplication but not so good at division she would give him more division problems for homework for him to get better no?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I get it... a player still needs to work on his strengths and you do bring up some good points. But who's job is it to tell the player to work on his weakness? Is it on the players to take on this responsibility or for the coach to help the player develop his weakness? If a school teacher sees that student is already good at multiplication but not so good at division she would give him more division problems for homework for him to get better no?
True enough, but the place to learn long division (to use your math example) would be in junior or in the minors, not at the NHL level where winning tonight's game is what matters. This is why some people feel that Galchenyuk was rushed into the pros. He wasn't a complete player and the NHL is not a training ground. If the coach can use him at center with minimal risk or let him flounder as he learns on the job to play center with a high degree of risk it's a no-brainer. He will stay on the wing where he can't do any damage.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Lol it's been a problem since he's been drafted, what are you talking about? Everyone knew Galchy's dad was in the picture from the beginning.

BTW I'm a Galchy lover and a hater of MB. Galchy would have been my pick over Yakupov back then.

What am I talking about? What are you talking about!? So you're saying that the reason Galchenyuk was traded is because he would talk on the phone with his dad after the games? Are you saying that Michel Therrien would have played Galchenyuk at center ahead of David Desharnais if he just stopped talking on the phone with his dad? Were Phil Kessel and Tyler Seguin traded away under the tutelage of Claude Julien because they were running up minutes on their cellphone bills talking to their dads too? AT&T and Sprint...the ruiner of young hockey players careers! LOL

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
First of all, it's not bull****. These are things that happened. I know that to admit that Galchenyuk had faults doesn't jibe with the narrative of him being a hapless victim of Bergevin, Therrien and Julien but this kid had and still has issues. He has been to rehab for substance abuse and he does have a father who is trying to stage manage his career. These are objective facts.

Re: the bolded section, these objective "facts" can either be false in which case someone is lying and on a smear campaign or they can be true and should never have been made public (especially the rehab) as per NHL guidelines/protocol. Either way, you don't seem to be in the least bit bothered by that and happily repeat what you have heard... troublesome IMO and its indicative of the dysfunctional culture within this organization.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Re: the bolded section, these objective "facts" can either be false in which case someone is lying and on a smear campaign or they can be true and should never have been made public (especially the rehab) as per NHL guidelines/protocol. Either way, you don't seem to be in the least bit bothered by that and happily repeat what you have heard... troublesome IMO and its indicative of the dysfunctional culture within this organization.

Whole heartedly agree here. Well said.

Reactions: Habs178 and Peanut

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
The media is not bound by NHL protocols and neither am I. If the press find something out they are free to report on it and the reason why they always find these things out is because people inside the organization always blab eventually. There is literally nothing that happens within a Canadian-based NHL organization which can be kept a secret for very long. Too many people want to know and these teams have too many media types scrounging around looking for scoops. Sooner or later someone (an equipment guy, a janitor, whatever) talks to a reporter and then the cat is out of the bag. The only teams that can keep secrets are the ones located in markets that don't care and which have only one or two beat reporters covering the team. In other words, any future indiscretions on Galchenyuk's part will likely remain under wraps from now on.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
What am I talking about? What are you talking about!? So you're saying that the reason Galchenyuk was traded is because he would talk on the phone with his dad after the games? Are you saying that Michel Therrien would have played Galchenyuk at center ahead of David Desharnais if he just stopped talking on the phone with his dad? Were Phil Kessel and Tyler Seguin traded away under the tutelage of Claude Julien because they were running up minutes on their cellphone bills talking to their dads too? AT&T and Sprint...the ruiner of young hockey players careers! LOL

It comes down to if his coaches are telling him to do A, but his dad is telling him do B and AG is doing B then thats a problem. AG's dad isn't his coach and isn't a member of the Montreal Canadians.

Its basically what Nilan said on the raido yesterday. He wasn't listening to the coaches he was listening to his dad. His dad was coaching him not MT/CJ, Nilans words. Now of course you will say his coaches are idiots and he shouldn't listen to them. And then thats the reason why it wasn't working here and why the organization felt it never would.

Farber said basically the player that was going to score 30G wasn't going to happen here, so if it wasn't going to happen here cut bait and move on.

After 6 years the org feels they saw all that AG has to offer. Time will tell if they go this one wrong again.

Reactions: Habsddicted

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
It comes down to if his coaches are telling him to do A, but his dad is telling him do B and AG is doing B then thats a problem. AG's dad isn't his coach and isn't a member of the Montreal Canadians.

Its basically what Nilan said on the raido yesterday. He wasn't listening to the coaches he was listening to his dad. His dad was coaching him not MT/CJ, Nilans words. Now of course you will say his coaches are idiots and he shouldn't listen to them. And then thats the reason why it wasn't working here and why the organization felt it never would.

Farber said basically the player that was going to score 30G wasn't going to happen here, so if it wasn't going to happen here cut bait and move on.

After 6 years the org feels they saw all that AG has to offer. Time will tell if they go this one wrong again.

You want to quote Nilan? Because Nilan said that the Habs practice was the dummest thing he ever saw. The players would do ten drills and not once were the players ever corrected on anything by the coaching staff.

Farber was right AG wasn't going to score 30G here the way he was being used. After 6 years I've seen enough of what this org has to offer.Cut bait? How about cutting Marc Bergevin and his cronies? Bergevin should have been fired the moment he suggested trading Subban to Geoff Molson. The team still could have been saved then.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
You want to quote Nilan? Because Nilan said that the Habs practice was the dummest thing he ever saw. The players would do ten drills and not once were the players ever corrected on anything by the coaching staff.

Farber was right AG wasn't going to score 30G here the way he was being used. After 6 years I've seen enough of what this org has to offer.Cut bait? How about cutting Marc Bergevin and his cronies? Bergevin should have been fired the moment he suggested trading Subban to Geoff Molson. The team still could have been saved then.
Except he did, albeit only the once.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
First you were in love with Desharnais and now Domi. I mean how is a team supposed to win anything with these guys? What we're supposed to fall in love with the guy because he skates really fast? If Domi hasn't reached his potential yet what makes you think Galchenyuk has? People said Eller's ECF performance with the habs was just a fluke.... until it wasn't. People say that Galchenyuk's 30 goal season was just a fluke...if Galchenyuk manages to play center with someone like Keller he will explode and have a career year and personally I can't wait for the tears to flow. Book it.

Looking at some lineups from the AZ board most of them are already slotting him as their #1C. Fun times to be a hockey fan, habs fan not so much.

You make me say many things I didn't say. Yes I used to be a fan of DD, but I was also happy when he left because he wasn't good anymore. Domi? I think most people will learn to love him too. I love the players who leave everything on the ice. The Gallagher type, this is my type of players. Domi is in the same mold.

I never said Galchenyuk already reached his potential. I believe he hasn't. There's no doubt he's more talented than Domi. The question is : will he ever have the maturity and dedication to reach his potential? I have my doubts about that.

Eller? It was a mistake to let him go.

I don't believe Galchenyuk 30 goals season was a fluke. But can he do that on a winning team, and accumulate goals during important games and not just when the season is lost? While also being responsible defensively? That remains to be seen. I also don't believe Domi's rookie season was a fluke. He has just 3 seasons in the NHL, compared to 6 for Galchenyuk. There's a lot of room left to grow here.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Good luck in the desert Chucky! I am no doubt you will flourish in the desert and they will give you the opportunity you deserve! We miss you already and I am not looking forward to this season where you prove our GM is an idiot. Habs will be the joke of the league this year. You were part of my personal future plans with our age 25 and under core! Good luck!

I'm not going to lie, I almost fainted when I read this from you. Welcome aboard!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad