Confirmed with Link: Gagner, pick for Pronger and Grossman

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Gotcha. Never knew the extra N was an English/Swedish thing. Here's hoping he can crunch some guys like he did Setoguchi in that video.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
From Dave Vest's story:

Grossmann’s last name is an interesting story. For the first six years of his NHL career it was spelled, incorrectly, with just one ’n’ at the end. In 2012, Grossman revealed it’s actually spelled with two ’n’s.

"I guess when I was young coming up I didn’t want to say anything," Grossmann told reporters at the time. "That’s the way they put it on the shirt, and I just was going with it. I was just happy to have a jersey with my name on it."

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Flyers fan here. Yes I do believe you guys lost the trade player value wise. The move was made strickly for cap purposes, which is ashame, but it helps both teams.

As for Grossman, he is what he is a #5 on a bad team or #6 on a good team. Not very good at skating or stick-handling or passing. However, he is very strong and is an excellent shot blocker with a big heart. He plays his role and will play on your second pairing PK. You won't hate him.

Flyers traded him away because we have way too many bottom pairing Dmen and he was the oldest.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Well, the moral of the story and versions of it is that Grossmann is such an unassuming guy he never corrected anyone. He's a nice guy off the ice.

uakena

Dec 27, 2014
On the better teams you see the forwards come back to help, often carrying the puck themselves, which actually helps their transition game not harm it. I've watched tons of Flyer games and have at times, studied Grossmann in particular. He can make basic outlet passes and plays to move the puck up the ice, plays that seem to get overlooked by the detractors. I can show you plenty of times when he's made good outlet/lead passes (I already posted one earlier in this thread). Show me some video of Grossmann getting good support, with open teammates to pass to, but having an inability to pass in those situations.

I'm not here to argue but he got ton of support and sheltered role while playing with our best defenseman for what it is worth and yet he was detrimental to team. He can pass, but his decision making is as slow as his skating, thus rendering him useless. He is Deryk Engelland style horrid defenseman.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Just noticed that Grossmann has a NTC, though limited. Maybe we we were on his "do not trade to" list, maybe we weren't. Maybe a Tippett factor in play. Either way, it's nice to think that players are fine with coming to AZ.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Just noticed that Grossmann has a NTC, though limited. Maybe we we were on his "do not trade to" list, maybe we weren't. Maybe a Tippett factor in play. Either way, it's nice to think that players are fine with coming to AZ.

Money decision. Could have been bought out if he hadn't accepted.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He'd make more in a buyout, no? Salary is 3.5 so buyout would've been ~2.3. No doubt he'd make up the difference and more as a FA.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He'd make more in a buyout, no? Salary is 3.5 so buyout would've been ~2.3. No doubt he'd make up the difference and more as a FA.

Buyout is spread over two years and it's not crazy to suggest he'd be out of the league entirely.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Flyers not buying Gagner out.

Surprising. The Flyers have cleared a lot of cap space with the Pronger move. No major contracts left to sign. I figured they may have been, and could still be, making a play for Kessel.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd love to sign Semin. If he'll take a one year 3.5m deal, or there abouts. He's a good PKer. He generates 100% of his own offense. He's also a little lazy, a little moody, and a really selfish player. He'd be good to stick with a center that doesn't create any offense. A guy like Chris Kelly.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd love to sign Semin. If he'll take a one year 3.5m deal, or there abouts. He's a good PKer. He generates 100% of his own offense. He's also a little lazy, a little moody, and a really selfish player. He'd be good to stick with a center that doesn't create any offense. A guy like Chris Kelly.

He is the last guy I would want.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Strange move I think. Hextall went from pretty non-committal on Gagner and now he's not being bought out? He needed a weekend to think Gagner was a good idea? Something is off. I wonder if he's the salary component of a package traded for Kessel. Gagner+picks+prospect for Kessel. Seems to fit with the rumor that Toronto would have signed Gagner if he became a free agent.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Strange move I think. Hextall went from pretty non-committal on Gagner and now he's not being bought out? He needed a weekend to think Gagner was a good idea? Something is off. I wonder if he's the salary component of a package traded for Kessel. Gagner+picks+prospect for Kessel. Seems to fit with the rumor that Toronto would have signed Gagner if he became a free agent.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post about John Moore, you have these guys who get shuttled from team to team, guys who have potential and a skill set but who have never been able to realize that skill - and there will always been GMs who believe that all they needed was a change of location to put them over the top.

Sam seemed like a nice enough guy and I hope he finds success (even if it's in Philadelphia... ugh). But I'm not putting money on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad