Confirmed with Link: Gagner, pick for Pronger and Grossman

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I'd love to sign Semin. If he'll take a one year 3.5m deal, or there abouts. He's a good PKer. He generates 100% of his own offense. He's also a little lazy, a little moody, and a really selfish player. He'd be good to stick with a center that doesn't create any offense. A guy like Chris Kelly.

It is weird that him and Berezin were/are good pkers with those same attributes..

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Disappointed in the trade. I like adding Grossman. A big, experienced Dman that can clear the crease. But he really is a #5 guy. We gave up the better player AND took back a contract.

GMDM should NOT have given the extra draft pick IMO. Unless there is a future favour being returned?

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Disappointed in the trade. I like adding Grossman. A big, experienced Dman that can clear the crease. But he really is a #5 guy. We gave up the better player AND took back a contract.

GMDM should NOT have given the extra draft pick IMO. Unless there is a future favour being returned?

I think a potentially better player, that has disappointed wherever he's gone.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

Philly retained $500,000 on Grossman to compensate for Pronger's salary. Additionally, I think Maloney may have taken the contract, because it gave him extra leverage in negotiations with UFA's, who's agents may have tried to squeeze out a little more money, since the Coyotes "needed to hit the floor"

Also, I hope it gives us the flexibility to allow us to dip below the floor at the deadline, if we need to trade quite a few vets, in the event that we're well outside the playoff picture.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Not sure I agree on value.

Gagner was nearly bought out by 4 teams. He's more easily replaced internally than a big D like Grossman.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I think Gagner is the type of player who will only thrive on a team where there is boat loads of talent around him. I think he would have done well on Crosby"s wing or somewhere like that. He would have been a cheap experiment for the Penguins had that happened. But there is a lot of forward talent in Phillie too so he will do well there. He seems like kind of a cherry picker which will work if he gets on Giroux's line.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Philly retained $500,000 on Grossman to compensate for Pronger's salary. Additionally, I think Maloney may have taken the contract, because it gave him extra leverage in negotiations with UFA's, who's agents may have tried to squeeze out a little more money, since the Coyotes "needed to hit the floor"

Also, I hope it gives us the flexibility to allow us to dip below the floor at the deadline, if we need to trade quite a few vets, in the event that we're well outside the playoff picture.

It was reported that the Flyers wanted a higher draft pick if the Coyotes don't take Pronger's contract

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
"Hey, we're in need of a strong veteran dman, and I heard you were thinking about trying to shed Grossmann's salary."

"Give us a 3rd"

"Too much. Would you retain?"

"Not really interested in retaining. Maybe we can take some salary back. "

"How about Gagner? He's not bad, but we're trying to make room for a kid or two."

"Meh. I don't know. He looked good early in Edmonton, but he's lost his shine. "

"Yeah, we were thinking about buying him out to save money and the roster spot"

"Hey, listen. Take Pronger, we'll take Gagner. You get dead space toward the floor, we get more room room under the cap. We'll take a 4th or a 3rd and retain a little on Grossmann to cover the uninsured part of Pronger's contract. You get your dman and lose Gagner. Win-win"

"You know, that could work. Why not?"

uakena

Dec 27, 2014
On the better teams you see the forwards come back to help, often carrying the puck themselves, which actually helps their transition game not harm it. I've watched tons of Flyer games and have at times, studied Grossmann in particular. He can make basic outlet passes and plays to move the puck up the ice, plays that seem to get overlooked by the detractors. I can show you plenty of times when he's made good outlet/lead passes (I already posted one earlier in this thread). Show me some video of Grossmann getting good support, with open teammates to pass to, but having an inability to pass in those situations.

How is Grossman looking in preseason games so far?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
How is Grossman looking in preseason games so far?
He's been as advertised: slow, heavy, stay-at-home guy. A lot of us didn't like him on spec (his arrival spelled doom for Brandon Gormley, our LHD 2010 1st rounder) but he's been pretty much what we expected.

Hopefully he plays well this season and there are better / younger options available next summer. But our defense has sorely lacked a heavy, mean crease-clearer since Derek Morris left, and Grossmann looks like he could be that.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
He's been exactly what we expected him to be and has been playing to his strengths and not trying to do things he can't do.

I think most of us were upset at this trade because it meant the demise of Brandon Gormley, but he's actually exactly what this team needed. It's only been 2 games though, so I hope he can keep up this kind of net presence in the defensive zone all season.

uakena

Dec 27, 2014
He's been exactly what we expected him to be and has been playing to his strengths and not trying to do things he can't do.

I think most of us were upset at this trade because it meant the demise of Brandon Gormley, but he's actually exactly what this team needed. It's only been 2 games though, so I hope he can keep up this kind of net presence in the defensive zone all season.

Early word from Philly is positive one too. Nothing like both sides being happy about a trade.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Early word from Philly is positive one too. Nothing like both sides being happy about a trade.

Good I liked Sam. One of the few bright spots of the season when he was playing well. Just wasn't what we needed moving forward with Domi and Duclair coming up.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Early word from Philly is positive one too.

Surprising, considering that Gagner has been scratched twice, though I see he got an assist in the one game he played.

Grossmann has been impressive, maybe even more so considering the "Shrek on ice, lawlz" hysteria when he was acquired.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm the only poster who doesn't like grossman I guess haha. At the very least I'm glad we have him over gagner, it freed up a spot in the top 6 we badly needed.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Philly should be ecstatic with the trade, they dumped Pronger cap hit for nothing.

Unless I misunderstand and his cap didn't go against their hit because of LTIR? Could use some education there.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Philly should be ecstatic with the trade, they dumped Pronger cap hit for nothing.

Unless I misunderstand and his cap didn't go against their hit because of LTIR? Could use some education there.

A player on LTIR still counts against the cap, but the player the team brings in to replace the injured player may allow them to exceed the salary cap so long as the replacement's cap hit is not higher than the injured player's cap hit.

For example, let's say the salary cap is $60m, a team has a payroll of $59m, and a player with a $2m cap hit gets played on LTIR for the entire season. The team will have an adjusted cap for the year of $61m if the injured player is out for the season (pro-rated if the player returns before the end of the season).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Short summation: Flyers didn't gain any cap space by trading Pronger. They did gain flexibility in how to use their cap space by trading his contract though.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Grossmann:

- option 1 : he clears the puck

OR

- option 2 : he clears the body in front of the puck.

Simple, just what Tippett needed really.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Grossmann:

- option 1 : he clears the puck

OR

- option 2 : he clears the body in front of the puck.

Simple, just what Tippett needed really.

Indeed. I was not thrilled with getting Grossman but I now see his play in certain situations being needed and adding a different dimension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad