Confirmed with Link: Gabriel Vilardi signs 3-year ELC

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Yea he really has nothing to prove in Juniors, I doubt he would be very motivated down there. I'd rather see him on the big club learning the day to day of the NHL rather than lighting up guys that have little chance against him.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Why in the world are people eager to burn a year off Vilardi's ELC on this dumpster fire of a Kings season, along with possible stunting this kids potential growth as a prospect ?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Why in the world are people eager to burn a year off Vilardi's ELC on this dumpster fire of a Kings season, along with possible stunting this kids potential growth as a prospect ?

It's a delicate balance. On the one hand, I agree with you completely. On the other, he scored over 1.5 points/game in the OHL last year.

While the NHL isn't a developmental league, the Kings:
A) hardly qualidy as a good NHL team
B) have better control in terms of how Vilardi is utilized/strengthened if he stays up in the NHL

Considering that they can't keep him in the AHL to properly develop, keeping him up or sending him to the OHL feels like a wasted year anyway. So it really feels like an issue of determining the lesser of two evils.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hoven is saying the plan is for the Kings to ask for a 2 game conditioning extension with the Reign after the 3 games are up for a total of 5, which takes his time up to the Team Canada camp for WJC. They expect him to play at the WJC's, then will make an evaluation in early January. This would likely be 9 NHL games, then make a decision from there. Since the Kings season seems to be down the drain, I don't disagree with the course of action at all. He'll get to play against his peer group to continue his conditioning while building his skill set against some of the top players in the world his age. Not sure how concerned the Kings are about the ELC if he shows he belongs in the NHL during his tryout. He'll be protected against the lottery draft automatically whether or not he plays this year. Looking forward to his continued development, along with Kupari and others.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I thought you had to be 20 yrs old to play in AHL - I guess theres a conditioning exception. I share the concerns about WD tank commander having any influence on Vilardi's development. It will be good for him to play World Juniors and then he will get his 9 games with the team... from there really isnt a great option.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It's a delicate balance. On the one hand, I agree with you completely. On the other, he scored over 1.5 points/game in the OHL last year.

While the NHL isn't a developmental league, the Kings:
A) hardly qualidy as a good NHL team
B) have better control in terms of how Vilardi is utilized/strengthened if he stays up in the NHL

Considering that they can't keep him in the AHL to properly develop, keeping him up or sending him to the OHL feels like a wasted year anyway. So it really feels like an issue of determining the lesser of two evils.
I can understand this side of the coin, but the Kings are going to need Vilardi on a cost controlled contract for as long as possible. I wouldn't burn a year off his ELC.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I thought you had to be 20 yrs old to play in AHL - I guess theres a conditioning exception. I share the concerns about WD tank commander having any influence on Vilardi's development. It will be good for him to play World Juniors and then he will get his 9 games with the team... from there really isnt a great option.

You only have to be 18 years old to play in the AHL. The 20 year old rule is an agreement between the NHL and the CHL regarding players drafted into the CHL with a club. They have to wait until they are 20 (this protects the junior teams) to play in the AHL with some minor exceptions. There is an exemption for players on NHL rosters coming off of LTIR or SOIR, they can play up to 5 AHL games (last 2 with NHL permission) on a conditioning assignment in the AHL.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I can understand this side of the coin, but the Kings are going to need Vilardi on a cost controlled contract for as long as possible. I wouldn't burn a year off his ELC.

I understand. I genuinely feel this is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I ultimately don't think sending Vilardi back to the OHL is in the best interest of Vilardi. And frankly, the Kings need to bring the best out of Vilardi as much as possible.

On the other hand, I also feel the Kings need a better development staff anyways and better plan on how to develop players. They were very lucky to get Kopitar who was just so naturally gifted that he was able to step up and play at the age of 19 (and Doughty at 18), and they need to start learning how to bring the best out of the players.

I can honestly say neither decision will upset me. I am leaning towards having Vilardi stay up, as at least he'll be challenged a lot more in the NHL and train with pros to improve his fitness, but not wanting to waste a year of his contract is a valid argument against.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

I don't believe burning a year of an ELC is necessarily detrimental. Yes, it means they get a raise earlier, but it also means they will have accomplished less and therefore the cap hit on the 2nd contract will be less than if they were signing it a year later.

I.E. look at Brickley. We burned a year off his ELC by playing him in one game last year so he's now an RFA and the end of this season. He's still getting acclimated to the pro game and hasn't done much to earn a raise so his 2nd contract isn't going to be an issue and we'll have him signed really cheap for another 2-3 years. If he has a breakout year in the NHL next year, we'll be happy we burned it, because otherwise that 2nd contract would come with a much higher price tag.

I'm not suggesting this is going to be the case with Vilardi, just that burning an ELC can be an advantage just as much as its a disadvantage.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I understand. I genuinely feel this is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I ultimately don't think sending Vilardi back to the OHL is in the best interest of Vilardi. And frankly, the Kings need to bring the best out of Vilardi as much as possible.

On the other hand, I also feel the Kings need a better development staff anyways and better plan on how to develop players. They were very lucky to get Kopitar who was just so naturally gifted that he was able to step up and play at the age of 19 (and Doughty at 18), and they need to start learning how to bring the best out of the players.

I can honestly say neither decision will upset me. I am leaning towards having Vilardi stay up, as at least he'll be challenged a lot more in the NHL and train with pros to improve his fitness, but not wanting to waste a year of his contract is a valid argument against.

We are seeing with our own eyes real damage being done with Adrian Kempe trying to develop a highly skilled but flawed player in the NHL. I hope the Kings don't make the same mistake with Vilardi.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
We are seeing with our own eyes real damage being done with Adrian Kempe trying to develop a highly skilled but flawed player in the NHL. I hope the Kings don't make the same mistake with Vilardi.

I understand, but the difference is 1) The AHL was a valid option for Kempe and 2) Vilardi's more talented

The concern is totally legitimate, but I don't think we can make an apples to apples comparison of the situation as they are very different.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I understand, but the difference is 1) The AHL was a valid option for Kempe and 2) Vilardi's more talented

The concern is totally legitimate, but I don't think we can make an apples to apples comparison of the situation as they are very different.

I think it's debatable Vilardi is more talented than Kempe. Vilardi certainly isn't a better skater than Kempe. Vilardi does posses a better hockey IQ it seems so far, but he has similar issues of staying engaged as Kempe does. That's an issue you iron out in AHL not the NHL.

Last edited:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think it's debatable Vilardi is more talented than Kempe. Vilardi certainly isn't a better skater than Kempe. Vilardi does posses a better hockey IQ it seems so far, but he has similar issues of staying engaged as Kempe does. That's an issue you iron out in AHL not the NHL.
I think the bigger problem for Kempe is his knack for really bad, momentum killing penalties.. and he is not a damn center! They need to let him excel at LW with a true center...

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
We dont know what we have yet with Vilardi. His game may translate better than Kempe who doesnt seem to possess the hockey IQ that Vilardi has shown in Juniors. Still, its hard to evaluate anyone on this team offensively due to the consistent de-emphasis of offense and creativity over the years.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I think the bigger problem for Kempe is his knack for really bad, momentum killing penalties.. and he is not a damn center! They need to let him excel at LW with a true center...
Agree - he reminds me of a left hand D Brown.. a bull rusher not a play maker... another sign of a mismanaged team.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
We dont know what we have yet with Vilardi. His game may translate better than Kempe who doesnt seem to possess the hockey IQ that Vilardi has shown in Juniors. Still, its hard to evaluate anyone on this team offensively due to the consistent de-emphasis of offense and creativity over the years.

People keep saying this, but it's season two of the Kings showing signs of consistently being on the wrong side of the puck due to cheating for offense. The meme of (Defense only team) is not sticking anymore folks.

These players are being told offense, offense, offense, offense. It shows in their lack of commitment to 200ft of hockey the back half of last season and this season.

Might I add that Brown/Kopitar/Doughty all had career years last year in production Along with guys like Trevor Lewis.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Kempe isn't a good winger either. His work on the boards sucks.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
People keep saying this, but it's season two of the Kings showing signs of consistently being on the wrong side of the puck due to cheating for offense. The meme of (Defense only team) is not sticking anymore folks.

These players are being told offense, offense, offense, offense. It shows in their lack of commitment to 200ft of hockey the back half of last season and this season.

Might I add that Brown/Kopitar/Doughty all had career years last year in production Along with guys like Trevor Lewis.
Pearson and Kempe were like 2 goals in 80 games combined. I dont think that happens anywhere but on this team. My point is that its hard to evaluate Kempe right now.. My gut tells me that he will be a poor mans Dustin Brown and Vilardi will be 60-70 pts a year if he stays healthy

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Pearson and Kempe were like 2 goals in 80 games combined. I dont think that happens anywhere but on this team. My point is that its hard to evaluate Kempe right now.. My gut tells me that he will be a poor mans Dustin Brown and Vilardi will be 60-70 pts a year if he stays healthy

Do you know how difficult it is to score 60-70 points in the NHL ? I think you need to re-think that.

I'll give you some perspective, Since 05-06 to today the Pens(high offense team) have had on average ONLY three players on the their roster score more than 60 points on average. Two of those guys are going to the Hall of Fame.

So essentially you're are saying Vilardi is going to be just as good as Kopitar.

Last edited:

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Do you know how difficult it is to score 60-70 points in the NHL ? I think you need to re-think that.
Clayton Keller got 65 pts last year at age 19. 75 players in the league were 60 pts or more. A lot has to do with system and linemates. I believe if Vilardi plays a C2 with some decent wings he will put up 60-70 pts in a couple of years.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad