Confirmed with Link: Gabriel Vilardi signs 3-year ELC

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Yeah, I'm more interested in skating and overall movement observations than anything else

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Damn, I wish I could be at that game. If Vilardi plays on the Kings in the next few weeks, I am definitely getting tickets.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I watched the first two periods, missed the 3rd.

He looked about how you would expect a guy playing his first game in 6 or whatever months with unfamiliar line mates and out of his natural position. He was playing LW with Mitchell and Maillet, and on the 2nd PP unit. First couple shifts looked like he was just trying to get his bearings and stay in position, but as the game progressed (and Bakersfield started taking a bunch of penalties) he was more and more noticeable. Had one good look late in the first on the PP when a Condor Defender tried to clear up the middle and Gabe gloved the puck down at the right circle and fired a shot, but no traffic in front of the net and the keeper saw it the whole way.

A few minor mistakes. Had a couple seam passes broken up and a high shot from the point blocked while on the PP, things that could have (but didn't) lead to loss of possession and chances the other way. I assume a few games will help iron that out. He wasn't getting beat and didn't look to be laboring, but "cautious" would be the nice word to describe his skating (and again I missed the 3rd where his legs may have been going a bit more).

His first game in a while, didn't look completely lost, wasn't a liability, didn't leave on a stretcher, so I'm content with what I saw.

EDIT: RW not LW

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I watched the first two periods, missed the 3rd.

He looked about how you would expect a guy playing his first game in 6 or whatever months with unfamiliar line mates and out of his natural position. He was playing LW with Mitchell and Maillet, and on the 2nd PP unit. First couple shifts looked like he was just trying to get his bearings and stay in position, but as the game progressed (and Bakersfield started taking a bunch of penalties) he was more and more noticeable. Had one good look late in the first on the PP when a Condor Defender tried to clear up the middle and Gabe gloved the puck down at the right circle and fired a shot, but no traffic in front of the net and the keeper saw it the whole way.

A few minor mistakes. Had a couple seam passes broken up and a high shot from the point blocked while on the PP, things that could have (but didn't) lead to loss of possession and chances the other way. I assume a few games will help iron that out. He wasn't getting beat and didn't look to be laboring, but "cautious" would be the nice word to describe his skating (and again I missed the 3rd where his legs may have been going a bit more).

His first game in a while, didn't look completely lost, wasn't a liability, didn't leave on a stretcher, so I'm content with what I saw.

Jives with other accounts but I'm bummed you missed the third because that's when all the reviews got much better.

Reactions: Legionnaire

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Watched the replay of the Reign 3-2 win this morning. First goal against was on Clague who was beaten off the wall on a puck battle. This is something that both he and Brickley are still struggling with, anticipating the speed of the plays and making sure you're in good body position to react at all times. They have improved since October and are playing more conservatively overall, so there has been improvement. Nice to see Budaj bounce back with a solid game, he has struggled all year.

What, you want to hear about Vilardi? As mentioned by a few already he looked more comfortable in the third period as he was getting his legs. I would say he had an "economical use of movement" throughout the game. Some of it is conditioning, some of it is his playing style. Coaches will want him to be more assertive on both ends of the ice, particularly defensively. He knows where to be positionally, and the things he excels at were all evident: play behind the net, hitting the open man for opportunities, and being an offensive oriented player. He had three good scoring chances, one blocking a clearing attempt while on the PP which NHL veteran Montoya stopped up high, one a shot breaking in just over the cross bar, and his best, a two on one where he tried to go tweeners on Montoya and it was a nice save. In fact, Vilardi thought he scored and started to raise his stick.

Skating you say. Yeah, it's going to be a bit of a concern. He's going to have to have his compete level high to make sure he's moving his feet. We'll look at this in a couple of games as his conditioning improves, but at this level and the next, his movement will need to improve. Reminds me a bit of Amadio, not going to be fast, but a smart player. He should be really good on the PP along the half wall.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Watched the replay of the Reign 3-2 win this morning. First goal against was on Clague who was beaten off the wall on a puck battle. This is something that both he and Brickley are still struggling with, anticipating the speed of the plays and making sure you're in good body position to react at all times. They have improved since October and are playing more conservatively overall, so there has been improvement. Nice to see Budaj bounce back with a solid game, he has struggled all year.

What, you want to hear about Vilardi? As mentioned by a few already he looked more comfortable in the third period as he was getting his legs. I would say he had an "economical use of movement" throughout the game. Some of it is conditioning, some of it is his playing style. Coaches will want him to be more assertive on both ends of the ice, particularly defensively. He knows where to be positionally, and the things he excels at were all evident: play behind the net, hitting the open man for opportunities, and being an offensive oriented player. He had three good scoring chances, one blocking a clearing attempt while on the PP which NHL veteran Montoya stopped up high, one a shot breaking in just over the cross bar, and his best, a two on one where he tried to go tweeners on Montoya and it was a nice save. In fact, Vilardi thought he scored and started to raise his stick.

Skating you say. Yeah, it's going to be a bit of a concern. He's going to have to have his compete level high to make sure he's moving his feet. We'll look at this in a couple of games as his conditioning improves, but at this level and the next, his movement will need to improve. Reminds me a bit of Amadio, not going to be fast, but a smart player. He should be really good on the PP along the half wall.

Re: clague and brickley that's almost certainly a result of being so skating-dominant in their previous leagues, yeah.

Re: Vilardi that's something you could see even in juniors, he 'coasted' at times to keep his energy up for offense, wont' be able to get away with that in the nhl, will need to be going full bore all the time for max effectiveness

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Re: Vilardi that's something you could see even in juniors, he 'coasted' at times to keep his energy up for offense, wont' be able to get away with that in the nhl, will need to be going full bore all the time for max effectiveness

Yeah, I remember that from him at Kingston too. That hasn't changed much, he going to have to find another gear, but we'll see if Stothers starts to push him harder as he gets his game conditioning back. This game, it felt like his linemates were doing all the dirty work, and he was waiting in the wings a bit.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Vilardi update after watching him play his 2nd pro game. Reign lost 4-2. Vilardi did not score.

I've watched him play twice now and will see him live on Sunday. Only concern other than health, as we know, is speed and pace. It's a well-founded concern. He definitely will not make the Kings a faster or quicker team, but this is not news. He is already a very high level passer with great vision, I don't see any change there from his junior highlights. That will still be the case at the NHL level IMO, without any doubt. Just knows where his teammates are and usually hits them right on the tape. Ridiculously good hands with the puck, a very heavy stick. Strong behind the net. Routinely controls bad passes into his skates and continues controlling the puck on the rush. Hard shot too from what I saw. Had some good chances, especially yesterday. Played on more of a checking line both days with the exception of the last period today when he was elevated to the 1st line. Played on the 2nd PP unit. I expect he will excel on the PP in the NHL. His game was built for it. He played RW both days. Thought he had more compete today than yesterday, still guilty of some coasting, which we saw a lot in his highlights in juniors. Tried to force some plays that were not there, I suspect that has to do with what he could be away at lower levels of competition. Made some nice defensively plays both days, but he will need to be a lot quicker and expend a lot more effort to get on to players faster to defend. He positioning and hockey IQ seem excellent, seems to be in the right place at the right time without expending a lot of energy. He didn't play particularly physical. Most of his defense is positioning and stick work.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Vilardi update after watching him play his 2nd pro game. Reign lost 4-2. Vilardi did not score.

I've watched him play twice now and will see him live on Sunday. Only concern other than health, as we know, is speed and pace. It's a well-founded concern. He definitely will not make the Kings a faster or quicker team, but this is not news. He is already a very high level passer with great vision, I don't see any change there from his junior highlights. That will still be the case at the NHL level IMO, without any doubt. Just knows where his teammates are and usually hits them right on the tape. Ridiculously good hands with the puck, a very heavy stick. Strong behind the net. Routinely controls bad passes into his skates and continues controlling the puck on the rush. Hard shot too from what I saw. Had some good chances, especially yesterday. Played on more of a checking line both days with the exception of the last period today when he was elevated to the 1st line. Played on the 2nd PP unit. I expect he will excel on the PP in the NHL. His game was built for it. He played RW both days. Thought he had more compete today than yesterday, still guilty of some coasting, which we saw a lot in his highlights in juniors. Tried to force some plays that were not there, I suspect that has to do with what he could be away at lower levels of competition. Made some nice defensively plays both days, but he will need to be a lot quicker and expend a lot more effort to get on to players faster to defend. He positioning and hockey IQ seem excellent, seems to be in the right place at the right time without expending a lot of energy. He didn't play particularly physical. Most of his defense is positioning and stick work.
I think he gets his cup of coffee right after his stint

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Send him back to JR's let him heal 100% and keep him away from the NHL till he has developed some more man strength, and be consistent with his game in the AHL.

Reactions: Vino

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->