GDT: G16: Avs vs. Perds - Whiskey for Avs Fans, Beer...also for Avs Fans

obZen

Jul 1, 2019
All kidding aside, how can anyone tolerate Duchene the hockey player (in fairness he is a great person off the ice who does tons for his community) but as hockey player he insufferable. The guy is the opposite of a winner/team player. He is just so smug. Couldn't be a better fit for a team like Nashville, who is easily the most arrogant team that has never won a damn thing.

Do you have any reasoning for this other than the fact that Duchene doesn't play for us anymore?

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
This five game losing streak was sandwiched by two dominating blow out wins. Now the team needs to work on building off of wins like this and not sliding right back into a funk. So far this year they've lost every game following a blowout win, and last year's extended slide was broken up by occasional blowout wins that always gave false hope they'd turned the corner. Let's hope to see something different here.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Marner available? We'll trade you Kadri for him.

:laugh: in all seriousness Leafs fans shouldn't be concerned about Barrie. It takes him a while to get going usually anyway, combine that with a new team and new environment this year and it may take a little longer.

I have no doubts by January Leafs fans will be praying Dubas finds a way to get him signed to an extension.

Our main problem is we are not using him to his strengths. He's just not going to produce with 40% PP time share on the 2nd unit. Our 1st unit cant even produce so what chance does Barrie have on the 2nd.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I miss the game, see the score, and more talk of injuries:

source.gif

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Do you have any reasoning for this other than the fact that Duchene doesn't play for us anymore?
Are you being serious? Where do we begin...

We can recognize his talent, but I cant think of many NHL players that I dont want anywhere near my team, and he is one of them. ROR I would welcome back with open arms.

Reactions: 5280

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Our main problem is we are not using him to his strengths. He's just not going to produce with 40% PP time share on the 2nd unit. Our 1st unit cant even produce so what chance does Barrie have on the 2nd.
That is what makes no sense to me. The Leafs pp last year was pretty blah. So they bring in Barrie to improve that, shift Rielly to the 2PP and give him more PK/5v5 time. Seems easy right?

Nope. They continue doing exactly what they did last year, not changing anything, and letting Barrie waste away. Dumb.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
I don't want to see Barbs on the ice anymore... call up Rosen and put Cole back in and have Barbs eating Nachos if they feel the need to keep Timmins in the A.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
That is what makes no sense to me. The Leafs pp last year was pretty blah. So they bring in Barrie to improve that, shift Rielly to the 2PP and give him more PK/5v5 time. Seems easy right?

Nope. They continue doing exactly what they did last year, not changing anything, and letting Barrie waste away. Dumb.

Problem is that Reilly is superior to Barrie in all facets.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
Not a chance. When a player gets hit in the head with the puck and lays on the ice, the play gets blown dead every time, no matter who has the puck. It's been this way for a long time.

It's a matter of safety. That's why Matt Sokolowski ran out onto the ice, and the Pred players helped him. Everyone thought the whistle was gonna blow.

Except for the fact there are a lot of situations where they don't blow it dead.

Don't get me wrong, I'm of the opinion that in that situation it should be blown dead. It isn't a lot of the time and that is perfectly in line with the current rules that are in place.

Would I have been upset if it happened to a Preds player and there was a whistle, potentially depending on the situation but I'd still prefer that over the alternative of the player not getting help. Am I upset that it wasn't blown dead for Zads, a little. Be hopeful the whistle comes but don't expect it to, they called it according to the current rules. It's more of a reason to take a look at the rule than be upset with the refs last night.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yep I do. I was a huge Duchene fan when he came into the the league, heck even through his first 4-5 seasons here I loved him. Then all of sudden things started to change with his attitude. He went from team guy, to mopey, whiny, arrogant care about my stats guy you see today.

The Matt Duchene you see today is completely different than the guy who came into the league. Yes I understand players mature as they get older, but his maturation was not in a good way. He just became an arrogant stat driven guy.

You don't win with players like him. He'd rather score 30 goals and 70+ points on a so so team than be a 50 pts guy on a good team. You saw it here first hand. Guy celebrated hard when he scored 30 even though we were terrible and getting our butts kicked that game.

I'm personally glad we moved on from him, it was the right call, let him go collect his precious numbers elsewhere, we are too busy trying build a winning team.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Still arguing even after the rule literally gets posted word for word. I'm impressed.
When a guy takes a puck to the face, the refs almost always blow the play dead. We’ve seen it a hundred times. That’s why it was Matt Sokolowski’s instinct to jump on the ice to help him. The Preds players literally had to carry him over the boards while play was going from the bench. If they’re going to make a player get off the ice or put their helmet back on when it falls off, then they should probably take all head injuries a little more seriously. Bryan Little took a puck to the head the other day that caused a freaking brain bleed.

On another note, the staff’s willingness to bench Cole is pretty encouraging.

Last edited:

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
When a guy takes a puck to the face, the refs almost always blow the play dead. We’ve seen it a hundred times. That’s why it was Matt Sokolowski’s instinct to jump on the ice to help him. The Preds players literally had to carry him over the boards while play was going from the bench. If they’re going to make a player get off the ice or put their helmet back on when it falls off, then they should probably take all head injuries a little more seriously.

On another note, the staff’s willingness to bench Cole is pretty encouraging.

100% agree, but that's an issue with the rules themselves not with the refs implementation of them last night. They called that play 'right' (even though they technically could have blown it dead as well).

It's something that needs to be looked at ASAP. No reason for it not to be more encouraged to blow it dead there. I'm assuming for the first little bit there would be players that go down expecting a whistle for a bit in desirable situations, but technically there are things in place for that already with unsportsmanlike penalties if it became an issue.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
MacKinnon is tied for 6th in scoring right now.

The players in front of him:
2 from Edmonton
2 from Washington
2 from Boston
MacKinnon

Solo Artist.

Makar is also 7th in defencemen scoring with 15 points in 16 games.

Sounds like Hart, Norris and Calder

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

obZen

Jul 1, 2019
Are you being serious? Where do we begin...

We can recognize his talent, but I cant think of many NHL players that I dont want anywhere near my team, and he is one of them. ROR I would welcome back with open arms.

Outside of a moment of absent-mindedness celebrating scoring 30 goals or his team picture from a couple years ago where do you begin and end? That celebration last night was nothing out of the ordinary in my opinion. Yes, Duchene seems to be a bit of loner in the sense that he keeps to himself but you guys are blowing it way out of proportion. Maybe you guys that believe Duchene is a team cancer think that he was holding Mackinnon back but that was Mack's issue 100%.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I haven't seen the Z play, but the refs don't have to blow the play dead. They can... just a matter of their judgement, and I don't think you can take that judgement away from the refs. It would cause too much gamesmanship when pinned.

obZen

Jul 1, 2019
Yep I do. I was a huge Duchene fan when he came into the the league, heck even through his first 4-5 seasons here I loved him. Then all of sudden things started to change with his attitude. He went from team guy, to mopey, whiny, arrogant care about my stats guy you see today.

The Matt Duchene you see today is completely different than the guy who came into the league. Yes I understand players mature as they get older, but his maturation was not in a good way. He just became an arrogant stat driven guy.

You don't win with players like him. He'd rather score 30 goals and 70+ points on a so so team than be a 50 pts guy on a good team. You saw it here first hand. Guy celebrated hard when he scored 30 even though we were terrible and getting our butts kicked that game.

I'm personally glad we moved on from him, it was the right call, let him go collect his precious numbers elsewhere, we are too busy trying build a winning team.

I'm glad we moved on too as it just wasn't working out anymore. It was good for both parties.

However, I haven't seen any of this smug attitude, arrogance, or evidence that he's only in it for himself. I don't see his celebration when he scored his 30th goal as that big of a deal. It was a moment of absent-mindedness.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012

lol this can't be serious

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Kamenev has been good. I’ve never been his biggest fan, but he’s been good. Not sure if he fits on this club long term or is just a trade chip eventually, but he’s showing something right now.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Go back and watch the behind the scenes video of his draft. Duchene was always a me-first guy. Sucks things turned out the way they did, it's not necessarily horrible to be a self centered athlete, but his departure sparked the Avs and will forever be worth it.

Reactions: chet1926

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad