GDT: G16: Avs vs. Perds - Whiskey for Avs Fans, Beer...also for Avs Fans

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I know I shouldn't complain as I live outside of the blackout zone and have an NHL.tv subscription but....The constant on-air shilling for DirectTV and even more blatent and obnoxious constant flickering of banners across the top of the screen that read as if their marketing department is run by a bitchy 8 year old really took away from what otherwise would've been on of my favorite games in the last decade plus.

I can only hope that this full-court press was a one-off since the game was being broadcast OTA in the Denver area and will be much more subdued come Saturday. If after the first period, I see that it hasn't, I will probably be switching to the other team's feed until either deals get done or ALT stops with the childish bullshit.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
What a bunch of whiners. "Waaahh, they are trying to pressure providers into signing workable contracts, much like one already has, in order to allow fans to see games. I got mine, legally or not, so others can stuff it, and/or the team's channel can fold. I would rather hockey be 2nd/3rd/4th choice on a shared channel than 1st/2nd on a dedicated network, if it meant not having to see a few ads/banners or listen to some catch phrases."

Y'all complain more about a few plugs for a broadcast partner than you do about the crappy officiating some nights. And I can just imagine the whining about this post already. Yeah, there is some strawmanning....but god it seems like that is the attitude of at least some in here.

Reactions: Breck Av

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
What a bunch of whiners. "Waaahh, they are trying to pressure providers into signing workable contracts, much like one already has, in order to allow fans to see games. I got mine, legally or not, so others can stuff it, and/or the team's channel can fold. I would rather hockey be 2nd/3rd/4th choice on a shared channel than 1st/2nd on a dedicated network, if it meant not having to see a few ads/banners or listen to some catch phrases."

Y'all complain more about a few plugs for a broadcast partner than you do about the crappy officiating some nights. And I can just imagine the whining about this post already. Yeah, there is some strawmanning....but god it seems like that is the attitude of at least some in here.

I mean it didn’t really bother me personally but I can see where some others are coming from. A few plugs/jabs would have been fine but they were a bit overboard with it and I can see why it would turn off fans. An intermission segment or something would have been fine to get the point across.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I’m ready to endure Altitude’s infomercial if it means that the on-ice product is going to be as good as it was last game.:naughty:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
What a game!

• Fancouz looked like garbage. I'm glad he'll get a chance to play again and hopefully bounce back. But seeing Gruby hurt and Francouz playing poorly reminds me of how thin we are in goal.
  • Donkoi's 3rd goal is the kind of goal you score when your confidence is sky-high. I think Bura was planning the carry the puck in, but Donny basically cock-blocked him, absolutely powered through Hamhuis, and scored. What a beauty. He might score 30 this year.
  • I said this elsewhere, but until his play drops off, I don't want to see Calvert outside the top 6. Even when Landy comes back, one should play with Mack and the other with Kadri (Landeskog-MacKinnon-Donskoi; Calvert-Kadri-Rantanen :naughty:)
  • Our defense is still a bit shaky, but I loved our top 4 on offense.
  • Kamenev might be the best player on the team at accepting passes. He's like a wide receiver with a wide catch radius. I really loved his tenacity on the puck and his physical play. His overall game is still a work in progress, but even with everyone healthy I don't see how you take him out of the lineup.
  • Tynan looked good. I loved his effort level. I want to see more.
  • I figured out what's wrong with Nichuskin (other than the gypsy curse preventing him from ever scoring again): his stick is too long. I know he's huge, but he seems incapable of controlling the puck when it's near his feet. He keeps making great plays when he has the puck well in front of him, but as soon as a defenseman jams him up he loses it. I think if he shortens his stick a bit he could be a real impact player for us. In any case, I love his effort away from the puck.
  • MacKinnon continues to be a monster. When he gets rolling in the offensive zone and he has at least one defenseman with him he trusts to handle the puck, he's an absolute nightmare for opposing teams. Combine that with two guys who are good down low and can pick up rebounds? I can't wait to watch more.
  • Jost has quietly carved out a bit of a niche as an energy guy. Bednar seems to be trusting him, he's winning puck battles, he's going to the front of the net, and he's playing hard defensively. If this is what he is as a player I don't hate it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
What a game!

• Fancouz looked like garbage. I'm glad he'll get a chance to play again and hopefully bounce back. But seeing Gruby hurt and Francouz playing poorly reminds me of how thin we are in goal.
  • Donkoi's 3rd goal is the kind of goal you score when your confidence is sky-high. I think Bura was planning the carry the puck in, but Donny basically cock-blocked him, absolutely powered through Hamhuis, and scored. What a beauty. He might score 30 this year.
  • I said this elsewhere, but until his play drops off, I don't want to see Calvert outside the top 6. Even when Landy comes back, one should play with Mack and the other with Kadri (Landeskog-MacKinnon-Donskoi; Calvert-Kadri-Rantanen :naughty:)
  • Our defense is still a bit shaky, but I loved our top 4 on offense.
  • Kamenev might be the best player on the team at accepting passes. He's like a wide receiver with a wide catch radius. I really loved his tenacity on the puck and his physical play. His overall game is still a work in progress, but even with everyone healthy I don't see how you take him out of the lineup.
  • Tynan looked good. I loved his effort level. I want to see more.
  • I figured out what's wrong with Nichuskin (other than the gypsy curse preventing him from ever scoring again): his stick is too long. I know he's huge, but he seems incapable of controlling the puck when it's near his feet. He keeps making great plays when he has the puck well in front of him, but as soon as a defenseman jams him up he loses it. I think if he shortens his stick a bit he could be a real impact player for us. In any case, I love his effort away from the puck.
  • MacKinnon continues to be a monster. When he gets rolling in the offensive zone and he has at least one defenseman with him he trusts to handle the puck, he's an absolute nightmare for opposing teams. Combine that with two guys who are good down low and can pick up rebounds? I can't wait to watch more.
  • Jost has quietly carved out a bit of a niche as an energy guy. Bednar seems to be trusting him, he's winning puck battles, he's going to the front of the net, and he's playing hard defensively. If this is what he is as a player I don't hate it.
Good point on Kam. I notived that aswell especially last game. Hes had two back to back solid showings. We need that to continue.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
One thing that was interesting, that I had feared with the new helmet rule, was that often in a scrum, the Preds were sneakily trying to remove helmets from the Avs players.
As that now has become a rule that you have to leave the ice if your helmet comes off, I really hope NHL takes a look at this.
You can put the other team down a man for a good 5 seconds by just removing their helmets (and kicking them away, looking at you Hamhuis).
I did not like this rule when it was announced, and my mind has not changed.

Preds was the first team I saw doing this in the scrums.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
One thing that was interesting, that I had feared with the new helmet rule, was that often in a scrum, the Preds were sneakily trying to remove helmets from the Avs players.
As that now has become a rule that you have to leave the ice if your helmet comes off, I really hope NHL takes a look at this.
You can put the other team down a man for a good 5 seconds by just removing their helmets (and kicking them away, looking at you Hamhuis).

Scrums during play or after the whistle?

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

I immediately thought of the Preds when they announced that rule. They are exactly the kind of team that was likely to try stuff like that, and we definitely saw it last night. I don't think it's a coincidence that two Avs players (MacKinnon and Bura) both lost their helmets in the offensive zone last game.

My solution: a penalty if the refs catch you intentionally removing a player's helmet during the play. I'd give another minor if you intentionally kick/shoot the helmet away after it's off.

Reactions: Nzap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->