G Jon Gillies (2012, 75th, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I just noticed Jon Gillies put up a 48 Save effort tonight in a 2-1 loss. Looking at his stats this season:

GP:17
W:9
L:6
T:2

GAA: 1.95
SP: .931
SO: 3(Tied for league lead)

:amazed:

This can't be the norm for freshman college goalies. Why the lack of attention?
Because he plays on a bad team. I believe Gillies has won hockey east rookie of the month twice as well as hockey east defensive player of the month twice

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
I just noticed Jon Gillies put up a 48 Save effort tonight in a 2-1 loss. Looking at his stats this season:

because hes a flame pick... although of late ive noticed that alot more flame picks have been talked about

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
because hes a flame pick... although of late ive noticed that alot more flame picks have been talked about
Yeah the drafting has appeared to do a complete 180.

The only players that Calgary has drafted in the last 3 years that don't excite me at all are Joey Leach, Patrick Holland (only because he was traded) and Coda Gordon

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

He's been getting attention on Flames boards. He's had a great season - he was also the backup for the US World Juniors, although with Gibson playing so well Gillies never saw any action.

Gaudreau has been getting most of the Flames fan attention this year so other prospects have suffered a bit I guess. It also doesn't help that he's a goalie - they're so tough to project.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box

The only players that Calgary has drafted in the last 3 years that don't excite me at all are Joey Leach, Patrick Holland (only because he was traded) and Coda Gordon

Coda Gordon is a solid player for a mid-round pick. I had him in my early third round

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
He will almost surely be the starter for the US U20 team next year, so you can expect a lot more talk about him when that tournament comes around.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Didn't know much about this guy when we drafted him. He appears to be having a great season though. How would people rate him against his Flames property counterpart: Laurent Broissot.

Who do people perceive to be the better goalie prospect?

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
Didn't know much about this guy when we drafted him. He appears to be having a great season though. How would people rate him against his Flames property counterpart: Laurent Broissot.

Who do people perceive to be the better goalie prospect?

I like Gillies more. Maybe it's because I've seen Brossoit more often, so I have the ability to pick out little details that I can't with my limited watching of Gillies, but I defiantly like our American prospect more (I had the same feeling going into the 2012 draft - Gillies was a top 60 draft player for me and I wasn't sold on Brossoit yet).

Keep in mind too that I haven't seen Brossoit since he caught fire after being dropped from the WJC team.

The thing for me is how fast Brossoit drops. A number of times he's down in his butterfly really fast. Maybe I'm scared off by Karlsson, maybe it's because I'm not positive how well his ability to scramble will come work in higher leagues, but it is worrying when I see him. That said, Brossoit is also athletic and has that Kiprusoff type of tendency of not ever being fully out of a play.

He also seems a little bit dominated by his hot-cold streaks (as a Flames fan, I'm sure you've seen that in Cammalleri from time to time. Think like that), hence why he's seeing Jarry overtake him from time to time.

For Gillies, he's got a very level head. He's definitely a bit "quieter" in his play and keeps to his own. He'll peek through traffic well and comes out of his crease pretty well, something I really like in goaltenders as it tends to emphasize their confidence. Really, the biggest flaw is his puck handling, both on his stick and off the pads. He has a tendency to let shots off his pads go any direction they want as oppose to directing the rebounds into corners. I see a lot of Price's style in him (not quality. I'd be happy if Gillies makes the NHL. But in regards to his movements and mannerism, they look similar to me).

I'm not sure that it's saying much right now, as goalies are so volatile, but I think Gillies, though he's a "project pick", will be more likely to make the NHL. Again though, it's like just personal preference...Brossoit has a low chance given his draft position, while Gililes has a slightly better, but low chance.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I think Gillies is ahead of Brossoit in our depth charts... I think we will get a better feel for Brossoit when he joins the Heat... (next season I would think?).

Gillies is very technical, and plays the percentages. Combine that with good reflexes, and you have a solid goalie prospect...(size too.)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gillies has been just fantastic as a freshman. It's hard not to get excited about this kid with how he has been playing.

Gillies won Hockey East rookie of the month for February,he also won in October (I think it was shared though). Gillies also has been named rookie of the week (or co-rookie of the week) on 5 occasions and been defensive player of the week 2 times.

Providence is now part of a 4-way tie atop Hockey East and Gillies is the #1 reason why. He is #2 in hockey east in GAA and SV% (the leader in both has only played 13 games). He also has posted 5 shutouts.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Gillies has been just fantastic as a freshman. It's hard not to get excited about this kid with how he has been playing.

Gillies won Hockey East rookie of the month for February,he also won in October (I think it was shared though). Gillies also has been named rookie of the week (or co-rookie of the week) on 5 occasions and been defensive player of the week 2 times.

Providence is now part of a 4-way tie atop Hockey East and Gillies is the #1 reason why. He is #2 in hockey east in GAA and SV% (the leader in both has only played 13 games). He also has posted 5 shutouts.

I go to Providence College and try to attend as many games as I can. I really think that Gillies could be the real deal. He is huge and is really composed in the net. Really excited to see what he can do down the playoff stretch and beyond

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I go to Providence College and try to attend as many games as I can. I really think that Gillies could be the real deal. He is huge and is really composed in the net. Really excited to see what he can do down the playoff stretch and beyond
I would kill to be living in New England right now. I would be watching every Friars and Eagles game I could. I really hope they meet in the Hockey Easy finals.

I would love to hear more about Gillies (and Jankowski) anytime you are able to see a game if its not too much trouble.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary

really? after WHLScout's (or something like that) post that he thinks hes gonna be a gem im kinda excited for him... we will see though

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
really? after WHLScout's (or something like that) post that he thinks hes gonna be a gem im kinda excited for him... we will see though
I haven't seen a post like that. Maybe I will try and find it.

But Gillies has me VERY excited. I can't wait until prospects camp and the 2014 World Juniors.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I just realized it is the final weekend of Hockey East regular season play, Gillies, Jankowski and the rest of the Friars could win the conference title with a win tomorrow!!

Go Friars!

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
I would kill to be living in New England right now. I would be watching every Friars and Eagles game I could. I really hope they meet in the Hockey Easy finals.

I would love to hear more about Gillies (and Jankowski) anytime you are able to see a game if its not too much trouble.

Gillies is an excellent goaltending prospect and has the combination of size, poise and skill to be a successful NHL goaltender one day. He should have won Hockey East player of the year over Johnny Gaudreau in my opinion. His flaws aren't inherent and will go away over time.

Jankowski certainly has some excellent puck skills and is raw, and if he adds some muscle he should attain the physical confidence to move forward in his development. It's easy to look at him and write him off in his down games, but if you compare him to other first round Hockey East forwards like Charlie Coyle and Chris Kreider, they didn't exactly tear it up as freshmen like Gaudreau and the fella in my avatar. So be patient, remember he's going up against 22 and 23 year olds every weekend who play each game like it's their last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad