G Jon Gillies (2012, 75th, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Thanks for the jinx post. 4-0 shutout for the Heat tonight with Gillies in net.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
How can people say a guy has regressed after 11 games post-major hip surgery? Sheesh. 7-5 .911. Not great but come on

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
He's had a good half dozen games .920 save% in spite of the team playing awful in front of him

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Reminds me of a battler.
When the Heat were scoring a lot of goals, the guy wasn't putting up great numbers but was winning a lot. Now that scoring has completely dried up he's putting up some major save numbers but the team can't score.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Tough to get a good read on. His numbers aren't amazing but they're not awful either. He's likely headed for another year or partial year in the AHL next year. Lately he's been better than Rittich which wasn't the case early on.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Tough to get a good read on. His numbers aren't amazing but they're not awful either. He's likely headed for another year or partial year in the AHL next year. Lately he's been better than Rittich which wasn't the case early on.

He had major hip surgery last year. Anyone writing him off early is nutters.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He had major hip surgery last year. Anyone writing him off early is nutters.

Yeah his early season was worse than how he's playing now.

I certainly wouldn't write him off. He's got the same save percentage in the AHL this year as Brossoit had and Brossoit is now the Oilers' backup.

I could see him as the backup in Calgary next year, but another year in the AHL wouldn't hurt him.

Brian Fogarty

@hockey_prophets
Apr 29, 2011
hockeyprophets.com
Flames Jon Gillies Interview

Jon Gillies discusses returning from his hip surgery, his buddy Mark Jankowski, and more. Here's an excerpt:

"When do you have an injury like that you don't know if you're ever going to get our off your pushes. There's a lot of things in the back of your mind that maybe play with you a little bit towards the end of the season, so it's good to have that clear conscience. Especially with the up-and-down this year, trying to get myself back to where my team needs me to be and having their backs. So it's nice to be able to focus on that."

You can read the whole thing at Hockey Prophets:

Jon Gillies Works Back Into Top-Prospect Form

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I want him to succeed so badly but I just have no faith in goalie prospects.

Just hope he stays healthy next year and maybe gets a few games with the Flames if there's an injury.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gillies did indeed start against the Kings. Backstopped the Flames to a 4-1 win, making 27 saves. The goal wasn't one I would call soft as it was a well placed shot, but he would also like to have it back.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he has looked good since being up. playing against the Pens, he was a bit unlucky on that Malkin goal tonight, but I can say that he belongs in the NHL full-time right now....will the Flames give him a role next year??

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
he has looked good since being up. playing against the Pens, he was a bit unlucky on that Malkin goal tonight, but I can say that he belongs in the NHL full-time right now....will the Flames give him a role next year??

I think next year he is likely the starter in the AHL for the team with Smith and Rittich in the NHL.

But if they can get something decent or include one of them in a package I could see them moving one of Rittich or Smith and opening up more time in the AHL for Parsons. Obviously if it is Rittich that is moved than Gillies would back-up Smith.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I know that this happened awhile ago but Gillies signed with the Blues at the start of FA. Does he still have any shot at being a NHLer?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I know that this happened awhile ago but Gillies signed with the Blues at the start of FA. Does he still have any shot at being a NHLer?

I'd say there's a decent chance. I don't know how well Husso is going to do backing up Binnington, but if one of them get injured I could see Gillies getting a start. He upped his game in 2020 (better than 18/19 stats) and I believe he signed away from the Flames because he wanted opportunity.

I used to think his potential was a 1A goalie, but it's looking like a 1B in a perfect world. Maybe he can carve out a career as a 20-25 game backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad