G Jon Gillies (2012, 75th, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd say the odds are in his favor, but you just never know. Especially when you get 1st rounders who bust, and 7th rounders who become Vezina winning guys.

Sebastian Svechnikov

May 21, 2015
I have to assume that between Gillies, Hellebuyck and Gibson, one of those three guys will develop into a top tier NHL goalie. If that happens then the future of the US program looks as strong as it ever has.

G - Hellebuyck, Gibson, Gillies

Last edited:

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I just want it to be known that Gillies put up better numbers in the NCAA than Quick and Schneider (excluding Schneiders rookie year where he only played half a season) and is bigger than both of them by almost half a foot. This is also the most talented College hockey has ever been, which adds to Gillies hype. I've heard him described as a larger Quick, which is a very exciting comparison. I put him as the Flames 2nd best prospect, right before Poirier. He is going to dominate the AHL, especially if he gets a lot of rest due to sharing the net with Ortio.

Can't wait to actually see him play this September.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I have to assume that between Gillies, Hellebuyck and Gibson, one of those three guys will develop into a top tier NHL goalie. If that happens then the future of the US program looks as strong as it ever has. The reason of course being that right now US hockey has as many top level prospects age 23 and under than at any point in my memory, and unlike in years past, finally a couple of truly elite center prospects (Eichel, Matthews) to go along with the rest.

G - Hellebuyck, Gibson, Gillies

D - Fowler, Faulk, Trouba, Jones, DeAngelo, Werenski, Hanifin, Krys

F - Nelson, Hayes, Bjugstad, Saad, Gaudreau, Galchenyuk, Larkin, Eichel, Connor, Matthews, Jones, Tkachuk

that can potentially be an unbelievable trio.. wow

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I just want it to be known that Gillies put up better numbers in the NCAA than Quick and Schneider (excluding Schneiders rookie year where he only played half a season) and is bigger than both of them by almost half a foot. This is also the most talented College hockey has ever been, which adds to Gillies hype. I've heard him described as a larger Quick, which is a very exciting comparison. I put him as the Flames 2nd best prospect, right before Poirier. He is going to dominate the AHL, especially if he gets a lot of rest due to sharing the net with Ortio.

Can't wait to actually see him play this September.

He reminds me more of a Lundqvist/ Rinne type. Not saying he will ever get to that level but that's who he reminds me of.

He doesn't make the huge save very often, but he doesn't have to because he's so smart and big the puck usually hits him in the crest, and he's got a great glove hand.

If he has a weakness I would say he needs to get stronger technically and work on his puck handling. But his athleticism mixed with his size make him a very good prospect.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just thought I would give this a bump as Gillies is off to an incredible start in the AHL. Wednesday night Gillies posted a 36 save shutout against a Texas Stars team that was averaging 6 goals per game, it was his second shutout in 3 games. After 3 games Gillies is 2-1-0 with a GAA of 1.34 and a SV% of 0.950. His loss was a game where he was hung out to dry pretty badly and only 1 of the 4 goals against really could be blames on him and it still took a perfect shot to beat him.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Just thought I would give this a bump as Gillies is off to an incredible start in the AHL. Wednesday night Gillies posted a 36 save shutout against a Texas Stars team that was averaging 6 goals per game, it was his second shutout in 3 games. After 3 games Gillies is 2-1-0 with a GAA of 1.34 and a SV% of 0.950. His loss was a game where he was hung out to dry pretty badly and only 1 of the 4 goals against really could be blames on him and it still took a perfect shot to beat him.

After watching him in rookie cap/ penticton, at providence last year, and the AHL so far, you can put this guy right in there with Mrazek, Gibson, Hellebyuck and Vasilevsky as one of the top five goalie prospects in the world.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. This guy has a very good chance to be the next Rinne or Lundqvist. And he could be in the Flames net as early as this year if none of our other goalies can hold down the starting job.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Gunna be a good one, one of the best goalie prospects in the game. Probaly more close to NHL ready then people realize

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
After watching him in rookie cap/ penticton, at providence last year, and the AHL so far, you can put this guy right in there with Mrazek, Gibson, Hellebyuck and Vasilevsky as one of the top five goalie prospects in the world.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. This guy has a very good chance to be the next Rinne or Lundqvist. And he could be in the Flames net as early as this year if none of our other goalies can hold down the starting job.
Agreed on the first part. As for the second, let's not saddle him with unfair expectations. He has huge potential, let's just leave it at that for now.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Out 4-6 months for hip surgery. Sad to hear, he was off to a great start in the AHL, but it's good that he is not forcing himself to play through hip problems.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
damn that's brutal... so pretty much done for the year?

was excited to see how his season was going to be

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Someone find out the name of Thatcher Demko's hip surgeon and send him there pronto.

Gillies is a solid young talent, if underrated. Now he's gonna fly even farther under the radar after missing that much time.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
damn that's brutal... so pretty much done for the year?

was excited to see how his season was going to be

Pretty much. He's having essentially the same procedure Demko had and it certainly didn't hurt Demko's game, so hopefully Gillies comes back stronger next year. If he was playing as well as he was with the hip issue, next year could be huge for him if he's pain-free.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Pretty much. He's having essentially the same procedure Demko had and it certainly didn't hurt Demko's game, so hopefully Gillies comes back stronger next year. If he was playing as well as he was with the hip issue, next year could be huge for him if he's pain-free.

Was it in fact the same procedure?

I'm pretty sure when I read about Demko having his procedure(s) that they said it was a pretty minor surgery??? I believe Demko had a procedure on his hip each of the last 2 off-seasons.

It seems like Gillies' might be different based on the amount of time he's expected to miss (4-6 months is what someone posted). I'm almost positive Demko's recovery was minimal compared to that.

I realize this topic has been quiet for a long time. I just wanted to see what was going on with Gillies after reading the THN article on Treliving saying he will 'cast a wide net' looking for a goalie this off season.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Was it in fact the same procedure?

I'm pretty sure when I read about Demko having his procedure(s) that they said it was a pretty minor surgery??? I believe Demko had a procedure on his hip each of the last 2 off-seasons.

It seems like Gillies' might be different based on the amount of time he's expected to miss (4-6 months is what someone posted). I'm almost positive Demko's recovery was minimal compared to that.

I realize this topic has been quiet for a long time. I just wanted to see what was going on with Gillies after reading the THN article on Treliving saying he will 'cast a wide net' looking for a goalie this off season.

For comparison's sake, Sabres prospect Linus Ullmark had double hip surgery after his season with MODO ended last year (they didn't make the playoffs but had to play relegation games). I believe the actual surgeries took place in early April. He played his first game on October 10th for the Amerks after being on IR through camp, preseason, etc. So that's 6 months from surgery to actually playing in a game. Just a couple weeks later on the 23rd he got called up to Buffalo with Lehner out long-term. He didn't seem to be dealing with any serious lingering issues from having work done, acquitting himself promisingly in an up-and-down stint with the Sabres while having a pretty good year for Rochester. Hopefully this is the baseline for Gillies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Doubt he's the answer next year. Maybe at the end of the year if we suck again, to see if he's the long term answer, like Ortio this year.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He's had the surgery and is rehabbing. There's some hope he might be able to play in games towards the end of the year, but there's really no point in rushing him if he's not ready.

He'll be the starter in Stockton next year I would think. He's still the Flames top goalie prospect, although McDonald has looked very solid in the second half of the year in the Q.

Ortio is making a case as a potential NHL backup. I'm not sure the Flames would want to invest more AHL in him at 25, so it's likely either NHL backup or FA for him.

EDIT: Demko's procedure was described as a 4-6 month recovery, so I'm guessing it's close to the same procedure. He had his in April though, so had some of the spring and all of the summer to recover.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA

EDIT: Demko's procedure was described as a 4-6 month recovery, so I'm guessing it's close to the same procedure. He had his in April though, so had some of the spring and all of the summer to recover.

Thanks for that.
For some reason I thought it was a lot shorter than that...but, that's likely because it was in the off-season, and he didn't miss any game time.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Seems to have regressed.

His teammate Nick Ellis put up better numbers in Providence the year after he left and is now a 0.930 in his rookie AHL season (Gillies is at 0.902). Either injury slowed him down or the wrong Providence goalie was picked :laugh:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Yeah because he's won 6 of 11 in front of one of the youngest teams in the AHL.... Huge regression...

That youngest team in the league is doing fantastic right now. Top of their division

I'm hoping it's just the injuries but Gilles has been getting simply outplayed by Rittich

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He hasn't been brutal like Fucale, but he hasn't been anything special either.

He did miss a whole year so hopefully he improves as the season goes on.

On the bright side, Parsons is having another solid year.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
He hasn't been brutal like Fucale, but he hasn't been anything special either.

He did miss a whole year so hopefully he improves as the season goes on.

On the bright side, Parsons is having another solid year.

Well thats mainly because Gillies had legitimate stats whereas Fucales was terrible considering the powerhouse team he played in juniors with.

Parsons seems pretty legit, hoping him and Gillies duke it out in the Flames net long term :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad