G Jon Gillies (2012, 75th, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Providence has some pretty good incoming guys, with De Jersey, Jankowski, and now Gillies.
I've heard good things about Nick Ellis ('13) too, so they should have a solid tandem in net.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Gillies commits to Providence
By Nathan Fournier Published: 21st May 2012

Portland, ME – Jon Gillies is taking his talents to Providence, Rhode Island.

The highly coveted goaltender from South Portland announced Monday afternoon that he will be attending Providence College in the fall.

Gillies’ decision to select the Friars over the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League came after visiting both locations last week.

LINK>>>

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
That seems like a lateral move at best. There's nothing really wrong with a goalie going to a mid-level program in a tough conference though. Plenty of goalies have gone onto strong NHL careers under the same circumstances. Look at where Quick is right now.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.

Well it's Quebec, Arguably the most popular CHL franchise(brand wise) the richest, (they're by like Vidoetron or something like the owner of videotron if im right) Patrick Roy is their coach( Roy enough said) figured he was gunna go there...

Kudos to him for sticking with his principles, that says something, kinda surprised he didn't go to a bigger college though..

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Well it's Quebec, Arguably the most popular CHL franchise(brand wise) the richest, (they're by like Vidoetron or something like the owner of videotron if im right) Patrick Roy is their coach( Roy enough said) figured he was gunna go there...

Kudos to him for sticking with his principles, that says something, kinda surprised he didn't go to a bigger college though..

All these "bigger colleges" have bonafide starters and Gillies made it clear he doesnt want to be a back-up when he decommitted from Northeastern with Chris Rawlings returning for his senior year.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
the advantage of going to a 'smaller' college is he'll regularly get to face teams like Boston College, Boston University, etc.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
O kk, by bigger I meant, well in name lol.... Where will he rank amongst hockey east goalies ?

He could be in the top half. With Joe Cannata (Merrimack) and Kieran Millan (Boston University) graduating there's no goaltender head and shoulders above another.

Right now my opinion the top three are Parker Milner (Boston College); Doug Carr (UMass-Lowell); and Chris Rawlings (Northeastern) who I think will have a bounce back year.

After that maybe Dan Sullivan of Maine and Casey DeSmith of New Hampshire, but you I think its fair to slot Gillies in the 4th-6th ranked best goalie in Hockey East coming into the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad