G Jon Gillies (2012, 75th, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
If you had a chance to learn from one of the best goalies in history you would have to at least think about it wouldn't you? I do not know Indiana's goalie coach or his personal coach if he has one, but you cant get a better coach then Patrick Roy.

This is a dog eat dog world so if Gillies thinks Quebec is a better place for his development then its worth uprooting. Yes the Ice gave him his start but you can't sentimental at this stage of your career.

Roy has been rumored to give high end talent pretty good perks like money (like Serge 74 mentioned) cars, and apartments. In addition the Q pays the players schooling for every year the player plays in the league if he doesnt play pro for more than 18 months. And if he does play pro for 18 months Roy will probably take care of it

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
If you had a chance to learn from one of the best goalies in history you would have to at least think about it wouldn't you? I do not know Indiana's goalie coach or his personal coach if he has one, but you cant get a better coach then Patrick Roy.

This is a dog eat dog world so if Gillies thinks Quebec is a better place for his development then its worth uprooting. Yes the Ice gave him his start but you can't sentimental at this stage of your career.

Roy has been rumored to give high end talent pretty good perks like money (like Serge 74 mentioned) cars, and apartments. In addition the Q pays the players schooling for every year the player plays in the league if he doesnt play pro for more than 18 months. And if he does play pro for 18 months Roy will probably take care of it

Education package and cars is mostly what they offer.

As an example, the Bashkirov twins had an apartment downtown and they were driving this:

porsche-cayenne.jpg

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Definitely food for thought. I'm not saying Gillies should or shouldn't go but he seems to have a good thing going in the states and is the coaching advantage Quebec offers worth the change?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Always admired the Quebecois ability to "curse" without actually doing so...

Oh, it's a curse all right. Back in New Brunswick we'd always add the "F" word afterwords to add emphasis.

Maybe that's another advantage for Gillies - learn a new language and a completely new set of cusses.

Value added I'd say.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Oh, it's a curse all right. Back in New Brunswick we'd always add the "F" word afterwords to add emphasis.

Maybe that's another advantage for Gillies - learn a new language and a completely new set of cusses.

Value added I'd say.

LOL...I'll say...when a TV closeup is on Kris Letang and he says "C___" no one in the US "gets" it...as opposed to when Crosby says "F___"...

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Gillies named to USA roster for upcoming tourney
Published on: 15th July, 2011 by Nathan Fournier

Portland, ME – Jon Gillies certainly made an impact at his first USA Hockey Select festival. The South Portland native and Northeastern recruit led all goaltenders at the National Select-17 festival (players born in 1994) with a 2.00 goals-against average and a .935 save percentage.

On Thursday, USA Hockey announced Gillies was one of the two goalies selected to USA’s roster for the Ivan Hlinka Under-18 tournament which will take place in Breclav, Czech Republic and Piestany, Slovakia from August 8th-13th.

LINK>>>

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Definitely food for thought. I'm not saying Gillies should or shouldn't go but he seems to have a good thing going in the states and is the coaching advantage Quebec offers worth the change?

Personally, I don`t think having Roy as a coach is a benefit. He hasn`t exactly had a great track record with goalies.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
He has started working with the goalies only this year. :dunno:

So how do you know he's all that good with it?

One thing I've learned from watching sports these past 30 years or so is that Hall of Fame type players don't always make the best coaches. Who knows? Maybe his Indiana goalie coach is better able to develop and teach young goalies.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
When did I say he was all good? I just said it was premature to say he doesn't have a good track record after a season.

Roy has always worked with the offense since he became a coach. His team has always finished in the top offenses since 2005. I think that's a success. Could he have the same success with his goalies? We don't know yet.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Both options must be very interesting for him. No need to trash one of them. I would gladly take him and I'm sure he would be a stellar goalie in this league. If he decides to stay in Indiana and go to NCAA, good for him.

I guess one of the reasons to choose Quebec is that he could be playing closer to home.

Last edited:

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Both options must be very interesting for him. No need to trash one of them. I would gladly take him and I'm sure he would be a stellar goalie in this league. If he decides to stay in Indiana and go to NCAA, good for him.

I guess one of the reasons to choose Quebec is that he could be playing closer to home.

For this year definitely Quebec is closer to home, but Boston (where Northeastern is located) is just a two hours drive from his home in South Portland, Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad