G Jon Gillies (2012, 75th, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
And he doesn't have to learn a new language to live and play in Boston.

Lol. Really? :facepalm:

Why would he have to learn a new language? Ryan Bourque has french parents and right now he doesn't speak more fench than he was 2 years ago. Which means, very little.

And if he was indeed learning french, would it be catastrophic?

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com

Why would he have to learn a new language? Ryan Bourque has french parents and right now he doesn't speak more fench than he was 2 years ago. Which means, very little.

I have to agree with you that language doesn't play a factor in a city/organization like Quebec City. Roy is bilingual and if Gillies would ever play for Quebec there would be teammates or the team would help Gillies with the language barrier if he ever finds himself in that situation in or around the city.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Half of his teammates would be also speaking english as a first language anyway (Erne, McNamee, Walsh, Duclair, Etchegary, Duane, Malka, Duke, Culkin). And the other french half also speaks english.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

It wouldn't be catastrophic but it would be an extra something he doesn't have to do where he's at now. Learning a second language takes time and energy and is that something Gillies needs or wants to do right now?

I've lived and worked in Quebec City (Loving every minute of it while I was there) and needed French in order to get by. And I was working for an English organization at the time.

Now Montreal is a place where a person could get by without a second language.

Anyway, he has no need to make a change right now. I wish him well.

Last edited:

Moosie

Oct 22, 2003
Indianapolis
Why would a kid from Maine and currently playing in Indiana (And, according to the USHL website committed to D1's Northeastern University) want to move to Quebec City to play hockey? I've lived in Quebec City and love the place but I don't think it would make sense for Gillies to do that right now. At the very least it would screw up his college eligibility.

I don't know why an American kid would do it, but we had a Russian kid go for the money a couple of years ago.

CH4

Jul 21, 2004
Chicoutimi
If Gillies shows up to Quebec next year and grigorenko goes back they will be dominant.

maybe his NHL team will want him to play more games? or $$$ will do as it did for Erne, grigo, Duclair etc.. etc...

with Domingue gone and Brassard only 17 next year with intangible he could play lots of games...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Jon Gillies de-commits from Northeastern

With Chris Rawlings staying for another season, it looks like Gillies is going elsewhere.

http://mainehockeyjournal.com/2012/03/28/jon-gillies-decommits-from-northeastern/

A rumor in Quebec circulated last summer that he would end up with the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League for the 2011-2012 season, which at the time he denied, but now he will look at that option going forward.

“Of course it’s an option,†Gillies said by telephone late Wednesday night. “I would say it’s a 50-50 between Quebec and another college right now, but like I said I have to weigh out my options and see everything that comes in.â€

As if the Remparts need more talent. ;)

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
Why is Rawlings staying? I thought there was going to be a lot of interest in him

What's remarkable is how similar to each other the two look.

He wants to get his degree and a final year in Hockey East with an up and coming team isn't going to put him further away as a pro.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Patrick Roy made a comment about Jon being more interested by Quebec than his father when he called them last December.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Haha, talk me off the ledge guys. A couple of years ago this program had the potential to make the Boston hockey scene a three pony race rather than the same old BC/BU, but has since lost Jamie Oleksiak, John Gaudreau, and now Jon Gillies. It now seems that Cronin leaving has ended the hope that the program could become a consistent pipeline for NHL talent for years to come.

Gillies is visiting Notre Dame today: https://twitter.com/#!/jgillies32/status/186772791540985856
The kid is a class act and is going to be something special no matter where he goes.

WeissFC

@WeissFC
Mar 11, 2010
www.futureconsiderations.ca
How could a top goalie prospect say "no" Patrick Roy?

Frankly, Gilles has options that Rawlings does not.

It's not for certain that Roy will be in Quebec next year for one. Two, we've seen in the past how he treats his goaltenders, I could see that turning Gillies off. I still think he ends up in Quebec, but it's far from a done deal.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He has plenty of choices. He can wait until the draft and discusses with his team what are the best options for him.

IkeaMonkey*

Someone is pretty high on Justin Wade. He'll be the fourth best defenseman on Notre Dame in 2013-14, best case scenario. Just like Gillies wouldn't be the starter for Notre Dame.

I haven't been as sure about a player in a long time. If he goes undrafted, GMs will be tripping over themselves to sign him after his college career. I don't see him having an impact as a Freshman as I think he's a kid with a big learning curve as he's shown the last two years in the USHL, but Soph-Senior year? Kid will be a complete monster like he has been late in the season.

As for Gillies, I personally hope he does go to the Q. I think it will be better for his development night in and night out. I think he's a bit of a late bloomer in terms of his potential and I think the Q will be a real test for him.

BLBarmada

With Domingue in the AHL next year, and Brassard headed to Gatineau they're gonna need Gillies.

CH4

Jul 21, 2004
Chicoutimi
It's been rumored forever, along with Etchegary.

rumoured before the trade deadline

that was supposed to be for Pageau.

the trade didn't happened. Brassard is in Quebec until further notice. If Gillies shows up, they're going to shop him and I'm not sure at all that gatineau will be the best bid; they might not have the assets to pay what Quebec will want.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
rumoured before the trade deadline

that was supposed to be for Pageau.

the trade didn't happened. Brassard is in Quebec until further notice. If Gillies shows up, they're going to shop him and I'm not sure at all that gatineau will be the best bid; they might not have the assets to pay what Quebec will want.

Ten bucks and a vatload of poutine says that Gilles is partying on the Grande-Allee next season.

Last edited:

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
With Domingue in the AHL next year, and Brassard headed to Gatineau they're gonna need Gillies.

That might not be the case. With Phoenix having three goalie prospects coming from juniors/college there will be an odd man out, maybe two at the AHL level.

The Coyotes signed Mike Lee (who was a junior and unexpected) from St. Cloud State last week, along with Domingue and Mark Visentin who are both AHL eligible next year, there's not a enough room for everyone.

Conventional wisdom in my opinion you would put Visentin with the Portland Pirates with a veteran as a back up, then that would put Lee in the ECHL and send Domingue back to the Q for his overage year.

Maybe Visentin impresses Phoenix enough where he starts the year in the NHL in which theoretically open a spot for Dominque in the minors or Phoenix decides on two rookies in the AHL is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad