Salary Cap: Future Roster Building (2017-18 and beyond) Pt. 4 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wow I didn't know Jarnkrok had that contract. That's amazing 5 more years @ 2 million. We should definitely offer something to Nashville before expansion (aren't they going to lose him anyway?)

Nashville will not trade him - it would have to be from Vegas if they selected him. But I'd easily pony up a 1st+ for him. I wonder if a 1st+Jarry would do?

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
Help me out on why Nash wouldn't trade if they thought Jarnkrok would be the Vegas selection and were offered good value? It seems to me that C would be the most valuable and hardest position to fill for Vegas. Jarnkrok could easily end up their 2C. We would have to vastly overpay to get him from vegas relative to Nashville, I would think.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nashville will not trade him - it would have to be from Vegas if they selected him. But I'd easily pony up a 1st+ for him. I wonder if a 1st+Jarry would do?

What in the world would make anyone add Jarry into any deal when Fleury will be heading out?

Jarry is what will let the Pens bring in guys who will make a difference in every single game. I know the potential injury implications with Murray are there, but after winning two cups in a row, I doubt it would be a smart move.

There has to be other ways.

rho

May 30, 2011
Help me out on why Nash wouldn't trade if they thought Jarnkrok would be the Vegas selection and were offered good value? It seems to me that C would be the most valuable and hardest position to fill for Vegas. Jarnkrok could easily end up their 2C. We would have to vastly overpay to get him from vegas relative to Nashville, I would think.

Assuming Nashville doesn't trade one of their top 4 D, they need to protect 8+1 in the expansion draft. The four forward slots are Forsberg, Johansen, Arvidsson, and probably Neal. That leaves a bunch of guys that they like (Jarnkrok, Aberg, Sissons, Wilson etc.) exposed. Let's say that Jarnkrok is going to be picked by Vegas. Then, trade him or not, they will be losing him next year. If they are trading him, that means they're losing a second guy from that list. Since they likely see themselves as Cup contenders for next year, it's debatable whether they would prefer to lose two guys off their starting roster (in exchange for the 31st pick) versus just losing one guy (in exchange for nothing).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If McPhee's agreed to take Fleury, we could totally take him...

Also Nashville might expose Neal instead of Jarnkrok. Would be hilarious if they did.

I'd be a little uneasy giving up the 1st for Jarnkrok, nevermind adding, particularly when other fanbases are saying their 3C is available for a second.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I like the idea of Bozak and brought it up at the trade deadline. The leafs could move Nylander to center and have good center depth with Matthews/Nylander/Kadri down the middle.

Bozak is money on faceoffs, better in his own end than others give him credit for and has produced both with and without Kessel. He is Kessel's best friend and it never hurts to keep that man happy. Plus I feel like he could man a legit second power play unit, something I've not felt Bonino has done in the past year.

I'd like that also. I wouldn't give up much, so it'd have to be a situation where Toronto was looking to move him.

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Rust - Malkin - Hornqvist
Hagelin - Bozak - Kessel

That is a crazy top 9. HBK 2.0 as well.

I really think, that with Bonino hopefully getting big UFA money elsewhere, if we upgrade the 3rd line center this could be another 92-93 Penguins: following back to back cups with an even better team. The forwards are in place to dominate the league next year.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

Also Nashville might expose Neal instead of Jarnkrok. Would be hilarious if they did.

I'd be a little uneasy giving up the 1st for Jarnkrok, nevermind adding, particularly when other fanbases are saying their 3C is available for a second.

The more I think about it maybe they will expose Neal instead. They need to keep their center depth intact in my opinion, and Jarnkrok is 25 and as mentioned here, signed to a great deal. Neal provides some of the flash their team lacks, but centers are more important. Arvidsson blossoming greatly softens the blow of losing Neal to Vegas.

This also means there's no point entertaining us getting him either though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'd say a bigger issue was that we didn't give our young kids a chance who had proven themselves in WBS. Rowney is the perfect example of the guy who puts in the work at every level and showed that he can be an asset for us and play reasonably well at the NHL level. Signing Kunitz (and likely another C) to bump him down is everything we've *****ed about for the 7 years before last year.

Agreed. The two go hand in hand. Who knows...Teddy Bleuger could be the next Tyler Johnson. Sundqvist could be the next Getzlaf. Kidding but we are on the same page.

You can play with fire when you give term. All those sweetheart Detroit deals looked great once. Chicago, too. Nashville definitely hit the home run. I just don't want to venture down that road. I'd rather pay up for less term.

Under 30 I'm a little better with it, especially if it's a center. Centers will always have trade value as long as the wheels don't fall off. I'd have no issues with Jarnkrok. $2mil for 5years? Easily manageable.

So Jarnkrok, Vermette, Kulikov or Smith and then Justin Williams?

I do not want Vermette here. I may be in the minority but I just don't want him. He doesn't fit what we are doing here outside of needing faceoff help. Williams will want too much and I'd rather give the wing jobs to the younger kids. I'd rather give Sprong the slot than sign Williams. Money better used elsewhere.

Kulikov or Smith (or MDZ) I'd be on board with. Matt Stone is another. I think Smith may want to much and will likely get too much. Rumor was he wanted around $4mil. Hard no. Kulikov may take a bit less since bombing in Buffalo. I'd like to get him in at around 2.5-3mil. He provides a lot of what we need. What we basically need right now...is Simone Despres. Big, mobile, physical. Kulikov is physical and hopefully still mobile but it depends how bad the back is.

Given Anaheim's tricky situation with the expansion draft, what do you think it would take to get Sami Vatanen over here? Running on the assumption that the Knights are going to pick Fleury, we can add a Dman and expose him to the expansion draft without much fear, correct?

Sami Vatanen for Pouliot and Pick #31 please. Or maybe Sheary for Vatanen straight up? I'll admit I'm not the best at gauging player value.

Not enough IMHO. They could do much better to be honest. One thing that's nice is Sheary is exempt from the ED so that could boost his value. Toronto is talking Kapanen+ for him. That's tough for us to beat to be honest with who we currently have. He'd be a solid addition no doubt. I suggested in previous posts Rust+1st. That's a solid player for the Ducks, hurts but Rust is replaceable here and we get the top 4 dman we desperately need. I even suggested taking on Beiska at a reduced rate for the one year to be our bottom pairing guy.

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Vatanen
Cole-Schultz
Bieksa

I like it. Tough pitch though.

Call me intrigued. I'm a fan of the idea.

Agreed. Base of Hagelin for Bozak solves several issues for us to be honest. Not sure what Toronto is thinking, they likely want to be free and clear but that doesn't work for us. If you can pull off a Hagelin+ for Bozak, that solifies perhaps the best forward line up in the league.

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Horny
Wilson-Bozak-Kessel
Kuhn-Rowney-Archi

To me, ideally:

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Sprong-Malkin-Horny
Rust-Bozak-Phil
Wilson-Rowney-Archi
Kuhn

I mean...psh...come on. That's 3 solid scoring lines. THAT is a true matchup issue. Bozak can easily become 2C is Sid or Geno go down too. I like that. This is where you use the cheap labor of Jake, Sheary, Rust, and Sprong to bolster depth.

What about Phaneuf if Ottawa takes on 2 million per year?

Call me crazy but I'd be interested. 32 with 5yrd left is tough though. I love what he brings. He brings A LOT of what we are missing on the back end. Stick him with Schultz and I think we have a solid pairing there. Depends on what Ottawa would want in return though...

I'd do something like Hagelin + 3rd for Phaneuf @ 1.5M retained. Or something like that.

Make it $2mil retained so he's an even $5mil, and I think I do it. I'd really have to noodle on it though.

Haula for a 2nd < Jarnkrok for a 1st. I believe we will take a center with that 1st unless there's a stud dman or wing that dropped significantly ala Kapanen or Sprong. With that, Jarnkrok is who we would hope that 1st turns into eventually except we get him now and he's available for the tail end of the Sid and Geno window.

This is all assuming Bonino prices himself out of town.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
The more I think about it maybe they will expose Neal instead. They need to keep their center depth intact in my opinion, and Jarnkrok is 25 and as mentioned here, signed to a great deal. Neal provides some of the flash their team lacks, but centers are more important. Arvidsson blossoming greatly softens the blow of losing Neal to Vegas.

This also means there's no point entertaining us getting him either though.

what about Craig Smith. He is $4M per year guy but I would snatch him way before neal. Heck I'd love to see him in Penguins uniform he would be a great fit here

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
what about Craig Smith. He is $4M per year guy but I would snatch him way before neal. Heck I'd love to see him in Penguins uniform he would be a great fit here

Are you talking about Vegas or Pittsburgh? I meant Vegas and Jarnkrok. Admittedly I worded that strangely.

I think Vegas couldn't go wrong with either guy and Neal would be some star power, but they will need centers most of all so Smith is probably the smart choice. As for the Penguins, I just don't know why Nashville would trade us a center (or Vegas if they acquired one we wanted for that matter).

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Agreed. The two go hand in hand. Who knows...Teddy Bleuger could be the next Tyler Johnson. Sundqvist could be the next Getzlaf. Kidding but we are on the same page.

Under 30 I'm a little better with it, especially if it's a center. Centers will always have trade value as long as the wheels don't fall off. I'd have no issues with Jarnkrok. $2mil for 5years? Easily manageable.

I do not want Vermette here. I may be in the minority but I just don't want him. He doesn't fit what we are doing here outside of needing faceoff help. Williams will want too much and I'd rather give the wing jobs to the younger kids. I'd rather give Sprong the slot than sign Williams. Money better used elsewhere.

Kulikov or Smith (or MDZ) I'd be on board with. Matt Stone is another. I think Smith may want to much and will likely get too much. Rumor was he wanted around $4mil. Hard no. Kulikov may take a bit less since bombing in Buffalo. I'd like to get him in at around 2.5-3mil. He provides a lot of what we need. What we basically need right now...is Simone Despres. Big, mobile, physical. Kulikov is physical and hopefully still mobile but it depends how bad the back is.

Not enough IMHO. They could do much better to be honest. One thing that's nice is Sheary is exempt from the ED so that could boost his value. Toronto is talking Kapanen+ for him. That's tough for us to beat to be honest with who we currently have. He'd be a solid addition no doubt. I suggested in previous posts Rust+1st. That's a solid player for the Ducks, hurts but Rust is replaceable here and we get the top 4 dman we desperately need. I even suggested taking on Beiska at a reduced rate for the one year to be our bottom pairing guy.

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Vatanen
Cole-Schultz
Bieksa

I like it. Tough pitch though.

Agreed. Base of Hagelin for Bozak solves several issues for us to be honest. Not sure what Toronto is thinking, they likely want to be free and clear but that doesn't work for us. If you can pull off a Hagelin+ for Bozak, that solifies perhaps the best forward line up in the league.

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Horny
Wilson-Bozak-Kessel
Kuhn-Rowney-Archi

To me, ideally:

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Sprong-Malkin-Horny
Rust-Bozak-Phil
Wilson-Rowney-Archi
Kuhn

I mean...psh...come on. That's 3 solid scoring lines. THAT is a true matchup issue. Bozak can easily become 2C is Sid or Geno go down too. I like that. This is where you use the cheap labor of Jake, Sheary, Rust, and Sprong to bolster depth.

Call me crazy but I'd be interested. 32 with 5yrd left is tough though. I love what he brings. He brings A LOT of what we are missing on the back end. Stick him with Schultz and I think we have a solid pairing there. Depends on what Ottawa would want in return though...

Make it $2mil retained so he's an even $5mil, and I think I do it. I'd really have to noodle on it though.

Haula for a 2nd < Jarnkrok for a 1st. I believe we will take a center with that 1st unless there's a stud dman or wing that dropped significantly ala Kapanen or Sprong. With that, Jarnkrok is who we would hope that 1st turns into eventually except we get him now and he's available for the tail end of the Sid and Geno window.

I am hoping that all three guys: Kuhn, wilson and Rowney become really just the depth guys and we make that 4th line a bit more productive...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Nashville said he's nearly a cap dump so I've soured on him. Colin Wilson spent a lot of time hurt but they seem to be high on him still. He was a warrior last year and someone I'd still love to add. Seems like a good fit for Malkin's LW. LV is gonna get a good forward from Nashville no doubt.

I am hoping that all three guys: Kuhn, wilson and Rowney become really just the depth guys and we make that 4th line a bit more productive...

And that's where they should be for now. I can Wilson rounding out to a 3rd line LW and fill in grit guy for the 2nd. Kuhnhackl has all the makings to be a solid 4th line wing. His issue is we have speedy guys like Archi and Rowney that may be usurping his slot. I like his size, PK'ness, and play but the system is based on speed.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I do not want Vermette here. I may be in the minority but I just don't want him. He doesn't fit what we are doing here outside of needing faceoff help.
Haula for a 2nd < Jarnkrok for a 1st.

Since I'm going mainly on stats and opinions on here when I throw out trade ideas, can you expand? Personally cheap defensively responsible veteran who is a boss at face offs sounds ideal as a short term plug - we do definitely need someone who can do faceoffs.

And Haula's better than Jarnkrok there, has better ES numbers this season, blocks more, hits more, does more takeaways, and is allegedly faster. I know the blunt stats tell little of the story, but I'm curious as to what you're seeing that says you'd rather have Jarnkrok for the first.

I believe we will take a center with that 1st unless there's a stud dman or wing that dropped significantly ala Kapanen or Sprong. With that, Jarnkrok is who we would hope that 1st turns into eventually except we get him now and he's available for the tail end of the Sid and Geno window.

I'm down with that logic, just I'd rather get a deal done without using the 1st if possible. And certainly not adding Jarry or anyone like that to it.

Pens3peat

Jun 15, 2017
Would Connor Murphy be available? Derrick Pouliot + Olli Maatta be in the ball park?

How about RFA rights to Zemgus Girgensons? 2nd round pick? What terms would he get on a new deal? 3 x $2.5?

Thanks.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Would Connor Murphy be available? Derrick Pouliot + Olli Maatta be in the ball park?

How about RFA rights to Zemgus Girgensons? 2nd round pick? What terms would he get on a new deal? 3 x $2.5?

Thanks.

Why would we trade Pouliot + Maatta for Murphy? We just won the Cup with Olli playing a pretty significant role. If he's traded, it needs to be in a package for a legit upgrade, not a rookie (who is older than Maatta) off a decent season. Arizona needs to add a lot to get Maatta for Murphy.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Since I'm going mainly on stats and opinions on here when I throw out trade ideas, can you expand? Personally cheap defensively responsible veteran who is a boss at face offs sounds ideal as a short term plug - we do definitely need someone who can do faceoffs.

And Haula's better than Jarnkrok there, has better ES numbers this season, blocks more, hits more, does more takeaways, and is allegedly faster. I know the blunt stats tell little of the story, but I'm curious as to what you're seeing that says you'd rather have Jarnkrok for the first.

I'm down with that logic, just I'd rather get a deal done without using the 1st if possible. And certainly not adding Jarry or anyone like that to it.

My issue with Vermette is this - he's old, he's slow, and is nothing more than a 4C at this point. He costs $1.75mil and is signed for just this season. Means he will cost assets to obtain from Anaheim who realistically speaking has little incentive to move him. I would rather try to get Cullen back at a 1mil, move Rowney to 4C for less than a mil or use Sundqvist for less than a mil. All three have better wheels and cost us nothing. Rowney and Sundy are young, energetic kids to boot who we need to develop.

So if we are spending assets on a 3/4C, I'd rather spend a tad more and get a good young guy ala Haula or Jarnkrok.

Now between them I may give a slight edge to Haula in abilities but I don't think we'd see a massive different. Size is comparable. The kick for me is this, Haula is a year older and is currently an unsigned RFA. I do indeed believe he will get more than $2mil which is what Jarnkrok is signed at for the next 5 years. There's additional value in that contract IMHO. If Haula said he's sign a 5yr/2mil per, then yeah I'd throw a 2nd at him before a 1st for Jarnkrok but that's not what we are facing here. If Haula wants $3mil for 5yrs, is that better or worse than Jarnkrok for $2mil? The uncertainty of Haula's future contract has me more hesitant. I love the idea of having the 3C of the team locked up at $2mil for 5 years. That's a very tradeable contract if he falls in the depth charts.

Like Anaheim with Vermette, Minnesota has little incentive to give him up. I highly doubt he's the target of LV where as Jarnkrok is to be honest (this without knowing who they will protect). With that, I believe Jarnkrok is also the more obtainable player.

Pens3peat

Jun 15, 2017
Why would we trade Pouliot + Maatta for Murphy? We just won the Cup with Olli playing a pretty significant role. If he's traded, it needs to be in a package for a legit upgrade, not a rookie (who is older than Maatta) off a decent season. Arizona needs to add a lot to get Maatta for Murphy.

Connor is not a rookie. I think he would fit our system well. He can skate - esp for a big guy - and plays a more physical game the Olli. I think he would be a great fit for our current team needs...more so than Olli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad