Salary Cap: Future Roster Building (2017-18 and beyond) Pt. 4 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Every so often I read the waiver exemption rule, but it always seems to me more guys should be going on waivers than do based on what I read. Something about games played, but it seems to count AHL games and European Elite games? Or something? In other words, I guess I don't really understand the guidelines, nor care enough to remember them five minutes after reading them.

So I just assume that guys on their ELC's aren't waiver eligible (provided they aren't NHL regulars, of course) and guys off them are. It generally seems to be correct.

Sundqvist is off his ELC starting next season, and I know he is expansion draft eligible, so I would think he'd have to be waiver eligible as well.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Oh come on, don't be like that. One of the biggest issues this org had from 2009 to 2015 was their inability to let go of players they should have.

I'd say a bigger issue was that we didn't give our young kids a chance who had proven themselves in WBS. Rowney is the perfect example of the guy who puts in the work at every level and showed that he can be an asset for us and play reasonably well at the NHL level. Signing Kunitz (and likely another C) to bump him down is everything we've *****ed about for the 7 years before last year.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Well they have the experience. After what the group just pulled off without Letang, I can only see them being better next year.

But even if they bring back Daley, we still need to add 1 or 2 more guys. Can't have that depth problem again. Unless guys like Corrado and Pouliot show something.

If JR is serious about adding physicality to the lineup, I see it being on D.

Not really any openings on offense. ZAR is a guy who could provide that tho, while producing at the same time. I'm more excited about seeing what Sprong and ZAR do next year than us adding anyone from the outside unless its a guy like Duchene.

I think getting Duchene makes this team a beast. We could put out 3 scoring lines better than the 2016 Cup year when HBK was on fire. We have the winger depth now to fully take advantage of adding another top line center.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin-Duchene-Sprong
Wilson-Rowney/Sundqvist-Hornqvist
Kuhnhackl, Archibald and loser of the 4C spot as reserves and Ashton-Reece as mid seasonal. Call up.

Crazy how much winger depth this team has. We could go 4 scoring lines if we could afford 2 more centers that could score, ha ha. I say go for the stud 3C

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Rutherford said he will not fill Botterill’s old associate GM position, but will have two assistant GMs. Bill Guerin already has that title; Jason Karmanos and Mark Recchi appear to be candidates for the other spot.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...up-repeat-jim-rutherford/stories/201706140143

It had better be Jason Karmanos over Recchi. I will be livid if it is Billy G and Recci and Karmanos is left behind. Karmanos came over with JR when he was hired and is primarily responsible for the analytics emphasis and putting at the Pens at the cutting edge of the science. He hired the WaronIce.com guy from CMU soon after coming.

Make it old boy network again and I will want to scream.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Would be an amazing fit, would cost too much now. Go for Thornton, Hanzal, Bonino (depending on cost), etc..MUUUUCH cheaper asset wise, as in giving up no assets.

I read earlier that Bozak could be had from the Leafs. Reuniting him with Kessel on the 3rd line excites me and probably Phil as well.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I guess. I mean we can't play Horny with Sid or on the 4th line right? JR and his staff really do have some tough choices to make this offseason. I really wish I was sitting in on their meetings:laugh:

We'll we could start a petition to get Hornqvist on Sid's wing, right? It worked for Nashville to get Sid suspended didn't it? :laugh:

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Does that mean Horny plays with Malkin untill Sprong comes along?

I like the idea of Bozak and brought it up at the trade deadline. The leafs could move Nylander to center and have good center depth with Matthews/Nylander/Kadri down the middle.

Bozak is money on faceoffs, better in his own end than others give him credit for and has produced both with and without Kessel. He is Kessel's best friend and it never hurts to keep that man happy. Plus I feel like he could man a legit second power play unit, something I've not felt Bonino has done in the past year.

The only things that I would set in stone is Jake plays with Sid and Kessel with Bozak.

Maybe go into the regular season with:

Jake Sid Horny/Sheary
Rust Geno Horny/Sheary
Haglin Bozak Kessel
Wilson Sundvist/Rowney Kuhn/Rowney

Work Sprong in as the season goes along.

Maybe by seasons end you end up with Sprong on either of Sid's or Geno's right side with guys like Rust/Sheary/Horn moving around to accommodate who works best with who. (its not like Horny seemed to mind being bottom six this year at times)

Plus he has only one year left so if it isnt a good fit move on from him. And if he is such good friends with Kessel, and he would finally be playing for a winner maybe if it seems like a good fit it wouldnt break the bank to keep him around.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Wow I didn't know Jarnkrok had that contract. That's amazing 5 more years @ 2 million. We should definitely offer something to Nashville before expansion (aren't they going to lose him anyway?)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wow I didn't know Jarnkrok had that contract. That's amazing 5 more years @ 2 million. We should definitely offer something to Nashville before expansion (aren't they going to lose him anyway?)

Aren't they looking at exposing Neal to keep him?

Toronto fans sound fairly sure Bozak's not on the trade list this year too.

There will be 3Cs around though for trade fairly cheap judging from fan expectations here though. People say better the devil you know with Bonino... he's put in a lot of wildly different shifts with us. How a line can go from amazing to awful overnight in such a way I don't know but Bonino's seeming inability to play with anyone this regular season was a big part of it. Was solid these play-offs, amazing last play-offs... I still don't know how much money I'd give him because I still don't know how much I'd want him on the roster.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Yeah that deal is awesome. I don't even care about the term. You can easily move that because it's 2m. Dude is 25. He fits our style of play. I would LOVE to make that move. I seriously would offer our 1st. They can then protect Neal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah that deal is awesome. I don't even care about the term. You can easily move that because it's 2m. Dude is 25. He fits our style of play. I would LOVE to make that move. I seriously would offer our 1st. They can then protect Neal.

Imagine if we did that, imagine how weird it would be for him walking into a room where everyone's wearing a ring they got by beating your team...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Nashville's long term deals are all home runs. The fact that Ekholm and Ellis are making less than 6 million against the cap for like the next two or three years is the biggest joke ever.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You can play with fire when you give term. All those sweetheart Detroit deals looked great once. Chicago, too. Nashville definitely hit the home run. I just don't want to venture down that road. I'd rather pay up for less term.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Imagine if we did that, imagine how weird it would be for him walking into a room where everyone's wearing a ring they got by beating your team...

Well if he comes here we better get him one ;)

Our 3rd line could still be really good with him and come in at under 4 million. That'd be amazing.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016

Yeah I'm not a fan of long term contracts for bottom 6 players but at 2 mil you can't go wrong. If he was better suited to the 4 th line down the road 2 mil for a very good 4C is still worth it.

Likely his production would go up from 30 points to maybe 40 too just by being on the Pens.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Given Anaheim's tricky situation with the expansion draft, what do you think it would take to get Sami Vatanen over here? Running on the assumption that the Knights are going to pick Fleury, we can add a Dman and expose him to the expansion draft without much fear, correct?

Sami Vatanen for Pouliot and Pick #31 please. Or maybe Sheary for Vatanen straight up? I'll admit I'm not the best at gauging player value.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Given Anaheim's tricky situation with the expansion draft, what do you think it would take to get Sami Vatanen over here? Running on the assumption that the Knights are going to pick Fleury, we can add a Dman and expose him to the expansion draft without much fear, correct?

Sami Vatanen for Pouliot and Pick #31 please. Or maybe Sheary for Vatanen straight up? I'll admit I'm not the best at gauging player value.

Do not expect Anaheim fans to react well to those proposals. Not only is the value low, but it also is rumoured/looks incredibly likely that they've sorted a protection deal with Vegas and don't need to trade Vatanen anyway.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Yeah, I think just giving the spot to Sundqvist and then giving it to Rowney if Sundqvist fails is a good enough idea for the 4th line center spot next year.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary ($3 million)-XXXXX-Hornqvist
Wilson-Sundqvist ($800k)-Rowney
Archibald ($900k-Kuhnhackl

Dumoulin ($3.5 million)-Letang
XXXXXX-Schultz ($4.5 million)
Maatta-Cole
Pouliot ($800k)

Murray-XXXXXX

As far as I'm concerned, that's the base lineup I have for next year. That lineup costs almost exactly $67 million while needing a 2nd pair LD (or a 3rd pair RD if you're comfortable with Maatta-Schultz as the 2nd pair), 3C and backup goalie. Getting a guy like Kinkaid as the backup adds like $700k on top of that, which would leave around $7 million for the other 2 spots. Depending on how good of a defensemen you'd want to target, the Penguins may need to move Hagelin, but I don't think they necessarily need to do that. I think it would be pretty smart for the Penguins to dangle their 1st for a young 3C and then try to sign a defensemen in free agency. Personally, I think I'd target Jarnkrok or Lowry for the 3C spot (both are guys that could potentially be taken by Vegas, both of those teams are protecting 4 and 4) and Russell or Stone for the defensen.

I want Markov.

EDIT: Nvm, just read that Markov has a 2-year deal in place with Montreal, waiting for the LV draft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad