Fun facts: Takeaway and Giveawy Stats - Defense

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Gunner appears to be the new whipping boy.

He needs a new partner - the team a new leader -the positive trickle down effect by replacing Dion with a more competent responsible defencemen will be felt throughout entire lineup.
lol... Phaneuf is by FAR the best defenceman we have. Without him this team is a lottery team.

member 147413

Gunner appears to be the new whipping boy.

He needs a new partner - the team a new leader -the positive trickle down effect by replacing Dion with a more competent responsible defencemen will be felt throughout entire lineup.

Yup, Girardi would be ideal. Gards + Kule or something.

Phaneuf - Girardi
Gunnar - Franson
Rielly - Fraser
Ranger

PP 1

Rielly - Phaneuf

PP 2

Gunnar - Franson

PK 1

Phaneuf - Girardi

PK 2

Fraser - Franson

Thus giving Gunnar a lesser role.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I agree Dion is great. I have not been impressed by him so far this season.
Other than him having a dull pair of blades last night or something he's been solid every game we've played so far.

Yup, Girardi would be ideal. Gards + Kule or something.

Phaneuf - Girardi
Gunnar - Franson
Rielly - Fraser
Ranger

PP 1

Rielly - Phaneuf

PP 2

Gunnar - Franson

PK 1

Phaneuf - Girardi

PK 2

Fraser - Franson

Thus giving Gunnar a lesser role.

Trading Gardiner would be a big mistake. We need D that can breakout quickly and effectively when being pressured. I love Mark Fraser type defencemen but you can't have a team full of them.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Fun fact: 4 of our starting 6 D are top-10 in league takeways

5 out of 6 are top 10 in giveaways AND 4 out of 6 are top 10 in takeaways

2. Franson 10
3. Ranger 9
6. Rielly 8
9. Phaneuf 7

29. Gardiner 4

Compounded by 2 forwards in the 50

34. Bozak 7
47. Bolland 6

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
being top-10 in takeaways must mean that they're awesome defensively, no?

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
That much we agree on. This team would benefit far more with an upgrade over Gunnar than it would trying to replace Dion.

And yet every time other partners have been tried with Phaneuf over the past few seasons it's been terrible.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I have no idea why people are complaining about Gunnar this game. Gunnar-Phaneuf did a great job against the hawks top lines.

it was the hawks' bottom lines that did the damage.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I have no idea why people are complaining about Gunnar this game. Gunnar-Phaneuf did a great job against the hawks top lines.

it was the hawks' bottom lines that did the damage.

Whoa whoa whoa...back up there. I'm not sure I'm comfortable agreeing with you about something :laugh:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
It's not the defenseman.

That's a problem. The defense has nobody open to pass the puck to, to get out of the zone like all the good transition teams do..

We need a miracle, icing or a good play once every 5 tries to get the puck out of our zone. It's so frustrating to see our wingers so nonchalant in our zone. They couldn't give a damn if the Leafs gave up a few goals because of their simple mistake.

Maybe why we have so many PMDs.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Information works like this: garbage in, garbage out. We can't help the fools who believe there's any meaning whatsoever in those numbers. Those numbers don't warrant any serious discussion.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I respect what Gunnar does defensively. He is great at taking the puck away, and blocking shots and all that. But when he has the puck, thats where the :facepalm: comes into play. He is really really ineffective when he has it.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The percentage of Leaf players in the top ten in this stat leads me to believe the problem is systemic. It's either a symptom of the zone coverage Carlyle is using and not as bad as it sounds because it tends to lead to dumping the puck out and giving away the puck, or its as bad as it sounds because the zone coverage Carlyle is using is not working. I think its the latter and even Carlyle has addmitted something is not working.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The percentage of Leaf players in the top ten in this stat leads me to believe the problem is systemic. It's either a symptom of the zone coverage Carlyle is using and not as bad as it sounds because it tends to lead to dumping the puck out and giving away the puck, or its as bad as it sounds because the zone coverage Carlyle is using is not working. I think its the latter and even Carlyle has addmitted something is not working.

Or it's a bit of both.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Information works like this: garbage in, garbage out. We can't help the fools who believe there's any meaning whatsoever in those numbers. Those numbers don't warrant any serious discussion.

You couldn't be more right. Why do people bother talking about the tracked giveaways, takeaways, or hits for that matter? These stats are total junk. Watch a game where a particular player has at least a dozen giveaways, then go look at the official numbers. It'll usually be listed between 0 and 2. Look at the giveaway leaders at the end of a season, who the hell actually believes that the person with the most giveaways in the entire league has about one per game? ONE PER GAME.

If this could tell you anything it's what players get the most icetime and carry the puck the most, comparatively, because the numbers relative to each other might be sort of right. Or not at all, depending on how they're tallied in different arenas. If you look at the numbers from 2 seasons ago Kovalchuk led the league with over 20% more giveaways than the second place, Getzlaf, who was himself about 20% higher than 10th place. It really doesn't make any sense.

DaveT83*

The system means nothing if you don't have the horses to implement it.

The way I see it: Toronto cannot establish a forecheck. This results in playing 70$% of game in own end. Must be exhausting. Goalies are getting shelled - routinely 30+ shots a night.

This problem is only compounded by the Leafs D-cores lack of anything remotely resembling physicality. Battles for pucks in corners are lost with regularity. Opposition players left alone in front to not only screen, but tip + bang in rebounds. Chasing the action rather than anticipating it - leaves our team thinking about making a line change and merely chipping pucks out of own zone rather than mounting any sort of attack.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
gunnar on that staal giveaway was brutallllllll, I think he needs the press box for a game, call up brennan... guy is ripping up the AHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad