Management FULL VIDEO - Contrite Cam Neely casts blame across Bruins organization while apologizing for signing Mitchell Miller (MOD Warning post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
No changes. They’ll say “I believe in second chances” goes both ways and management will strive to do better.

I don't think they can word it like that seeing as they have cut ties with Miller but that will be the outcome. In their shoes, I also wouldn't make any statement as equating themselves with Miller.

Reactions: PlayMakers and bp14

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
What should happen?

Sweeny Fired, Nadeau Fired, Harkins Fired (assuming Harkins is the one who was delegated the dirty work). You also need to punish the two layers above the underling who also neglected to follow up or do due dilligence.

Then Neely resigns.

What will happen? anyone's guess

bp14

Mar 17, 2022
What should happen?

Sweeny Fired, Nadeau Fired, Harkins Fired (assuming Harkins is the one who was delegated the dirty work). You also need to punish the two layers above the underling who also neglected to follow up or do due dilligence.

Then Neely resigns.

What will happen? anyone's guess
I’ll say it again, as a guy who doesn’t like Neely or Sweeney, that seems like a gross overreaction to a singular mistake.

I don’t think I’m downplaying the severity of Milers issues, but if you are going to ask for a complete overhaul of a management team based on one incident, IMO that one incident better an example of a systematic failure that has gone on before and threatens to go on, or it better have set back your organization fundamentally. I fail to see how one situation of a signed minor league player, handled terribly, fits that.

I expect we end up with Neely’s PC, a fired member of the staff at lower level, a donation and some other BS PR stuff, and that’s it.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

Answer.PNG

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I can't imagine the Bruins want that deal sitting on CapFriendly for 4 seasons. What would you do? What do you think the Bruins should do?
I think they find a way out of it.

Most people here won't like what I would do. But if I'm JJ, I get one of Charlie's brother or sister to pay Miller a visit courtesy of Delaware North with a check for 750k with the option to void his Bruins contract and buyout in exchange for the check.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I think Cam will be fired as president. It wouldn't shock me if he stays with the organization and probably gets involved with the Foundation. That is something he knows and is very good at.

I don't think Sweeney wanted to sign the kid so while he deserves some heat, I think he's safe.

At this point, they know they f***ed up big time and have finally talked to Isaiah's mom and made it public that they are paying for his therapy. I'm sure there is a lot of things behind the scenes that are happening and unless Isaiah and his family decide to share it, it is for the best.
This is basically where I am, I just think they'll let Cam stepdown/fall out the sword himself, and say he's going to focus on the foundation and/or more of a fan relations position. Let him go but 'on his own terms' as a respect thing.

Reactions: Gordoff and KWbruin

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I think they find a way out of it.

Most people here won't like what I would do. But if I'm JJ, I get one of Charlie's brother or sister to pay Miller a visit courtesy of Delaware North with a check for 750k with the option to void his Bruins contract and buyout in exchange for the check.

There's no way this is legal, which means to keep it hush-hush you have to rely on Miller and his piece of shit family keeping it a secret.

Pass. Last thing we need is more problems.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It almost sounds like cap circumvention to me.

I could see that being successfully argued.
If the League tried that route……

Bruins: “Thanks for the call Gary. Hey I’m just looking at Don Sweeney’s cell phone records and trying to line things up. I’ve got him talking to Bill Daley on Wednesday. Yeah, Wednesday, two days before Friday. You know, the day we signed that POS Miller — yeah, the signing that you didn’t know anything about. Yes, that kid Miller, who you and Daly now say you told us may never be eligible to play in the NHL. Do you remember if anyone was on that call with Bill Daly and Sweeney? Because Donny is pretty sure Bill didn’t say shit about ineligibility. Oh, and by the way, who else is currently ineligible to play because of behavioral issues? Yeah, I saw that thing you put out about Mallieux — months and months and months after he was drafted. Convenient timing. By the way, how’s that hockey Canada thing going? Any updates. Oh yeah, and when did Sheldon Keefe clear this newly evident eligibility requirement? Details would be nice. Let’s see, can I see the file on Bill Guerin and that disgraceful shit show in Pittsburgh’s AHL team. How about your conversation with Rocky WIrtz and Chicago. Hang on Gary, where‘s my file? I got a few others.”

I exaggerate and some of this is never going to come to light. My point is f*** Gary Bettman. He’s got enough skeletons in his closet to want this to go away as quickly and as quietly as possible.

As much as he wants to paint himself the empathetic hero, he’s not clean on this.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I've seen things abate over time in my life, so never say never I guess.

However, I just don't see it. Kid would have to do so much community work, so much PR work, and so much convincing of Meyers-Crothers family he'd not have time to put skates on.

I believe the kid is damaged goods as far as an NHL contract in the future.
I don’t want the kid on the bruins. Ever.

But, I’m going to just throw this out there for consideration, and this isn’t my position just something I’m curious about…is the bolded what it comes down to? He needs the permission of Meyers-Crothers family? What if he did or does all of the above but they remained unconvinced? Sorry kid?

Can he go work at a fast food restaurant? Or does he need their permission?

Go to school and become a doctor? Or he needs permission?

We all know the right thing would have been for the kid, took more time, embraced change and self improvement, showed proof of an improved sense of diversity and inclusion, and made direct and clear amends with Meyers-Carothers and family. He didn’t and if reports are right he’s not redeemed himself in any way shape or form.

But is it more appropriate that his apparent lack of contrition, and the NHL policy and teams’ morality be THE deciding factors rather than whether the family is “convinced?” Lotta power for a family to wield.

Just something to noodle.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I don’t want the kid on the bruins. Ever.

But, I’m going to just throw this out there for consideration, and this isn’t my position just something I’m curious about…is the bolded what it comes down to? He needs the permission of Meyers-Crothers family? What if he did or does all of the above but they remained unconvinced? Sorry kid?

Can he go work at a fast food restaurant? Or does he need their permission?

Go to school and become a doctor? Or he needs permission?

We all know the right thing would have been for the kid, took more time, embraced change and self improvement, showed proof of an improved sense of diversity and inclusion, and made direct and clear amends with Meyers-Carothers and family. He didn’t and if reports are right he’s not redeemed himself in any way shape or form.

But is it more appropriate that his apparent lack of contrition, and the NHL policy and teams’ morality be THE deciding factors rather than whether the family is “convinced?” Lotta power for a family to wield.

Just something to noodle.
I think the issue is that it all comes down to an entertainment business which of course involves fans.

He wouldn’t need the forgiveness of the family for any job or future that doesn’t involve fans.

But at end of the day, it all comes down to reaction of fans paying to watch that entertainment.

Kevin Spacey is an excellent actor. Nothing about his sordid behavior changes that fact. The reason he’s not been in TV shows or movies is because studios don’t think fans will at the present time support any work he’s involved in. Not because Hollywood is some beacon of moral behavior.

I find it hard to believe that without a statement from the family that Miller has atoned and/or is forgiven - that any team will touch him.

Of course I could be wrong — that piece of human waste Roman Polanski still has some supporters I guess.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
It almost sounds like cap circumvention to me.

I could see that being successfully argued.

mutual termination is allowed
very rare but has been in cases someone wants to play elsewhere.
do I see it happening? No

but mutual is in the cba. My only point.

Reactions: Gordoff

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Threaten to sit him for three years, only AHL salary, no play. He may want out to try his craft somewhere else.

Reactions: WhalerTurnedBruin55

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Below is what I was referring to.

Offering him $750k to terminate is, though. Zero chance the NHL would allow that, and when they find out it'll be a different kind of disaster.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think the most likely scenario is the one dom answered above. Less dollars out and within the cba. That removes nhlpa, lawyers, etc…

Just leaves a black eye with years to go back to normal tone.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Terminate deal.

wait 6 months

hire him at 750k to do outreach bla bla bla in some other part of the corporate structure.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
It didn't happen today which was a perfect opportunity I dont see why it would be tomorrow. I'll hold out hope but not my expectations. If it does not happen tomorrow then the apology is the extent of accountability and very little is lost beyond a slight stain on the brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad