Management FULL VIDEO - Contrite Cam Neely casts blame across Bruins organization while apologizing for signing Mitchell Miller (MOD Warning post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
the nonsense, to me, is “rescind the offer’. Its legal and binding.
Unless both parties mutually agree to terminate. Which I do not see happening.
The whole ‘ not eligible to play’ is enforceable between NHL and Team. Not leagues fault Bruins did something stupid. It also eliminates any governance NHLPA has. Thry dont have a dog in the fight as long as player is paid and then bought out next year per collective bargaining.

There is nothing anywhere real or implied in contract or cba that a player has a right to play.
Exactly and would not be an excuse why the Bruins are "stalling". I mean it's been 9 full days since they signed and a full week since they chopped him. Are you hearing from good authority as well that this is going down Tuesday?

Will also be great to see Miller's buy out on Capfriendly for the next four years.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Exactly and would not be an excuse why the Bruins are "stalling". I mean it's been 9 full days since they signed and a full week since they chopped him. Are you hearing from good authority as well that this is going down Tuesday?

All Bruins can try to do is claim they were provided false misleading info and try to grt out of the contract that way. That would lead to NHLPA action and maybe arbitration.

I havent heard anything from anybody.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
This is on the management not the players. Don't punish them for this. They said they didn't want the kid.

You can separate the team from management
I am not trying to take anything out on any player. This is my response to the organization, because there is no other way for me to express my disappointment in them genuinely. This issue matters, and an apology followed with inaction does not represent a meaningful apology in any sense. I am trying to think of the accountability at the places where many of you work. This mistake has been amazingly costly to the organizations reputation which could harm marketability. Would your company accept this? If you simply showed gross negligence and forgot to do your due diligence on a major project would you all not expect to be held accountable? Where is the accountability. A public facing apology does not meet any standard at all, certainly not a standard I will continue to support.

Reactions: KWbruin

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Will also be great to see Miller's buy out on Capfriendly for the next four years.

If I'm Millers camp, I probably still think that an NHL career is still possible. Especially when scouts have said he is currently NHL bound talent wise.

If the Bruins threatened to keep this contract valid for the full 3 years but have me sit, I'd probably want to get out of it.

Those 3 years are probably part of the most important years when it comes to NHL development at his age.

It's a weird situation to be in.

Do the Bruins tell him they plan on keeping the full 3 years in the AHL, but off the ice? That means Miller gets his 3 years of AHL salary, but all but ends his plans to play in the NHL. Unless you think a prospect can miss 3 years of development in his early 20s and still become a pro player. Maybe he would want to mutually terminate and gamble on getting a other NHL contract within the year or two?

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
If I'm Millers camp, I probably still think that an NHL career is still possible. Especially when scouts have said he is currently NHL bound talent wise.

If the Bruins threatened to keep this contract valid for the full 3 years but have me sit, I'd probably want to get out of it.

Those 3 years are probably part of the most important years when it comes to NHL development at his age.

Do the Bruins tell him they plan on keeping the full 3 years in the AHL, but off the ice? That means Miller gets his 3 years of AHL salary, but all but ends his plans to play in the NHL. Unless you think a prospect can miss 3 years of development in his early 20s and still become a pro player. Maybe he would want to mutually terminate and gamble on getting a other NHL contract within the year or two?
It's not an unreasonable take at all, but what NHL team would touch him, now? Also, the league has certainly cast doubt on whether he'll ever play in the NHL. He's realistically looking to get out of the deal if the Bs are going to keep him from playing, but I think he's KHL-bound, if anywhere. Certainly nowhere in North America, I'd have to think/hope.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
It's not an unreasonable take at all, but what NHL team would touch him, now? Also, the league has certainly cast doubt on whether he'll ever play in the NHL. He's realistically looking to get out of the deal if the Bs are going to keep him from playing, but I think he's KHL-bound, if anywhere. Certainly nowhere in North America, I'd have to think/hope.

I hope he doesn't either unless he does some serious work. I almost think it's too late and the time to prove he was remorseful was from 14-20.

But I wouldn't put it past another NHL org thinking their PR team can coach him up "off the books" to fix his image on his own, then officially offer a contract after. But I think that's gotta be at least a year of good headlines for him before you even try.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
I hope he doesn't either unless he does some serious work. I almost think it's too late and the time to prove he was remorseful was from 14-20.

But I wouldn't put it past another NHL org thinking their PR team can coach him up "off the books" to fix his image on his own, then officially offer a contract after. But I think that's gotta be at least a year of good headlines for him before you even try.
Yeah, as someone said earlier, the redemption arc is supposed to END with the NHL contract, not START with it.

While the Bruins jumped the shark on the contract, the NHL career is (and should be) very much in doubt.

Particularly in light of the victim's statement, I just don't know how any team can/will take that risk anytime until he and he alone is satisfied with Miller's contrition.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Yeah, as someone said earlier, the redemption arc is supposed to END with the NHL contract, not START with it.

While the Bruins jumped the shark on the contract, the NHL career is (and should be) very much in doubt.

Particularly in light of the victim's statement, I just don't know how any team can/will take that risk anytime until he and he alone is satisfied with Miller's contrition.
He's got a LONG way to go before anyone should give him any contact. He lied. His agent lied. His family is wah wahing on twitter. He's learned nothing. He needs severe therapy and lots and lots AND LOTS of work in regards to making this right.

Or. He just genuinely doesn't give a shit. And for that? That's just a shame.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
At the very least waive him.

They said other teams were interested right? Let them deal with it. Although not sure who would. Maybe Carolina, they seem to not give a shit. Not that I want to see him ever playing, but prove they are trying to cut ties. At least a little bit.

Honestly the teams doing so well, they can hide behind that for as long as they can. And that kinda goes with the business as usual that many suspected.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
At the very least waive him.

They said other teams were interested right? Let them deal with it. Although not sure who would. Maybe Carolina, they seem to not give a shit. Not that I want to see him ever playing, but prove they are trying to cut ties. At least a little bit.

Honestly the teams doing so well, they can hide behind that for as long as they can. And that kinda goes with the business as usual that many suspected.
Well, he is waiver exempt so can't put him on waivers.

On another note, if you don't think there is a gag order, just look at Twitter. You won't see anything.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Well, he is waiver exempt so can't put him on waivers.

On another note, if you don't think there is a gag order, just look at Twitter. You won't see anything.
I thought exempt just meant they didn't have to put him on waivers to move him between affiliates? So you are saying no exempt player can be waived? That is something new I learned today.

As for Twitter, couldn't tell you what's going on there (not just Bruins, but the whole Twitter world seems a mess right now)

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I thought exempt just meant they didn't have to put him on waivers to move him between affiliates? So you are saying no exempt player can be waived? That is something new I learned today.

As for Twitter, couldn't tell you what's going on there (not just Bruins, but the whole Twitter world seems a mess right now)

A Bruins scout is on twitter. He tweets A LOT. He's a toolbag. He is from Ohio. Likely had a lot to do with the MM signing. He has deleted a lot of tweets and now has been quiet as a mouse. That's who Dom is referring to.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
A Bruins scout is on twitter. He tweets A LOT. He's a toolbag. He is from Ohio. Likely had a lot to do with the MM signing. He has deleted a lot of tweets and now has been quiet as a mouse. That's who Dom is referring to.
I meant Twitter (the company) is a mess right now. Hard to take anything coming from that platform with more than a grain of salt currently at this date.

As for Harkins, I'm familiar with his history. Seemed like a putz even before that.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, I don't know why they would buy him out, meaning paying him a bunch more money and take a cap hit, when they can pay him very little to stay home (no cap hit) and put the pressure on him to ask out of the contract so he can play somewhere else age 20-22 and possibly have a chance at a career. Even if he works on himself and shows remorse as a person, missing these years of competitive hockey means he's done.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Expect an announcement in the next 48 hours.

The Bruins ownership wanted Cam's big fundraiser on Saturday night to be free of controversy.

Glad Cam’s event was able to go on. His foundation and all the beneficiaries don’t deserve to be collateral damage for this monumentally screwed up, inexcusable signing.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

If the Bruins are actually allowed to send Miller home without even attempting to play him in any league then this is huge leverage. Three years of no hockey and Miller's career is absolutely over. Not even on a character side, just on a pure hockey development side.

As a lawyer, I wonder if doing this is a breach of contract by the Bruins. All contracts have an implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing. Not giving a player even a chance to play may be a breach of that covenant, I'm just not sure.

If the Bruins can do this, and I dearly hope they can, I absolutely support sending Miller home for 3 years and paying AHL comp. I'd rather that then see his cap hit on the buyout line for 4 years and knowing that Miller was scooping $1m for doing nothing.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Expect an announcement in the next 48 hours.

The Bruins ownership wanted Cam's big fundraiser on Saturday night to be free of controversy.

I heard virtually the same. Either way, something has to happen. The Bruins need a management that can function pretty darn soon.
What happens to the contract if he decides he wants to play overseas?

As a player I sure wouldn't go anywhere near Russia now.....
If he went to Europe, the cap hit would come off the books but the contract would be tagged. He would owe the Bruins 3 years at some point.

As for leagues, Russia may be the only option. The IIHF respects and honors other league's suspensions so any league that falls under the IIHF umbrella (which is most of them) is probably out of luck. The IIHF in this case likely wouldn't sign his transfer card.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
It is going to suck but id rather pay him for a year and be done with him. If Miller wants to show he’s changing then he needs to agree to a settlement.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
It is going to suck but id rather pay him for a year and be done with him. If Miller wants to show he’s changing then he needs to agree to a settlement
And donate a good portion of it to the physical and mentally abused, along with the mentally handicap. I don't see it happening, but it would go a long way in proving he's becoming remorseful, but no matter what he does today, each and every day after he needs to become a better person.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad