Speculation: Front Office

Should Rutherford Stay or Go?

• Total voters

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
As a Panthers fan, I liked Dale. He fleeced everyone in trades and 3 playoff appearances in 9 years for the Panthers is equal to 6 or 7 for any other team, franchise is cursed. Sure he made bad signings but all teams do that. But I get not wanting him. But even citing the racism story now is completely unfair. NHL investiagted the claim, interviewed the sources and there was no evidence. Dale's objectively a good guy (off the ice). He should not have his life ruined for claims that are now proven false, shouldn't even be mentioned further.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
"he didn't say or do anything racist, because we said so, now shut up about it"

even if he didn't, the Pens shouldn't be hiring him anyway
what the hell lol? so what, you're basing this on your gut feeling over an outside investigation?

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
As a Panthers fan, I liked Dale. He fleeced everyone in trades and 3 playoff appearances in 9 years for the Panthers is equal to 6 or 7 for any other team, franchise is cursed. Sure he made bad signings but all teams do that. But I get not wanting him. But even citing the racism story now is completely unfair. NHL investiagted the claim, interviewed the sources and there was no evidence. Dale's objectively a good guy (off the ice). He should not have his life ruined for claims that are now proven false, shouldn't even be mentioned further.

Nothing has been proven false. It has been proven to be unsubstantiated. It could've happened, but nobody confirmed it or gave a reasonable accusation of why it could have happened. Slightly different.

But, yeah. I don't see why anyone would care about this. If Tallon was racially or religiously discriminating people they likely could've dug up something on him.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
I mean, if they can’t substantiate it, they can’t act on it. I’m sure you’d hope the same right would be given to you as an employee.
my point is i don't want the Pens to pick him up. the rumors of him making racist remarks certainly don't help, investigation or not.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
OK just to clarify the whole Tallon thing IS still speculative, right?

I've just managed to get my blood pressure down after they signed one of the shittiest defensemen in the league after finally get rid of the shittiest defenseman in the league FFS.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't really know what Tallon would add here. Like he's just as old as JR is. I'm not necessarily opposed, but I also don't really see why.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don't really know what Tallon would add here. Like he's just as old as JR is. I'm not necessarily opposed, but I also don't really see why.

At least it’s another person from the outside.

JR: We should sign Ceci. Good player.

Tallon:
tenor.gif

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I personally don't care about a guy's age beyond the link to "old school" mentality. I just think we need a new set of eyes, and realistically, a younger guy probably "gets" that the NHL is about speed, skill, and aggression. An older guy is more likely to fantasize about size and muscle and all that crap that went out of the league for the most part a long time ago.

JR's big problems, imo, is that Tom Wilson is his boogeyman and lives rent free in his mind, and reclamation projects working out a few times in a short time frame brain-poisoned him into shooting for the stars in that regard way too often.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
my point is i don't want the Pens to pick him up. the rumors of him making racist remarks certainly don't help, investigation or not.

Rumors...glad we ruin lives over rumors. Going to make up rumors about everyone and everything I don’t like to destroy their lives. Investigation finds the rumors aren’t credible but oh well someone made a rumor about it. Let’s ignore that and focus on the rumor might’ve been true.

The meteor can’t hit the earth fast enough.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Speculation (and seemingly dismissal) of his racially charged comments utterly and completely aside... still not one iota of interest in Dale Tallon. Just... why?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Speculation (and seemingly dismissal) of his racially charged comments utterly and completely aside... still not one iota of interest in Dale Tallon. Just... why?

He built Chicago into a cup winner. Maybe JR is taking a promotion soon and Tallon is the succession plan.

Tallon’s had a decent GM career

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I personally don't care about a guy's age beyond the link to "old school" mentality. I just think we need a new set of eyes, and realistically, a younger guy probably "gets" that the NHL is about speed, skill, and aggression. An older guy is more likely to fantasize about size and muscle and all that crap that went out of the league for the most part a long time ago.

JR's big problems, imo, is that Tom Wilson is his boogeyman and lives rent free in his mind, and reclamation projects working out a few times in a short time frame brain-poisoned him into shooting for the stars in that regard way too often.

The age matters because I'd want whoever JR picks as assistant GM here to end up the next GM after JR retires. Going from JR to Tallon is....weird.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
"he didn't say or do anything racist, because we said so, now shut up about it"

even if he didn't, the Pens shouldn't be hiring him anyway

What if someone made the claim that you said something racist? How you feel about future employers not hiring you regardless if the claim was false or not and not bothering to investigate? Or even after investigating it and they find it to be false, STILL refusing to hire you based on it? What then?

Easy to throw rocks when its not your livelihood or reputation on the line.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He built Chicago into a cup winner. Maybe JR is taking a promotion soon and Tallon is the succession plan.

Tallon’s had a decent GM career

I would bet retirement before promotion. If he was surrounded with a solid AGM like Ventura and Botterill that could help guide signings and trades while using Tallon's relationships and connections, I could see that working. Tallon driving the boat...no. Noooooo thank you.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

If hired maybe he can take over trading duties for JR. I don't follow his trading history, I just know GM's like to bone JR.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Shocker, cancel culture deemed Tallon a racist over an unsubstantiated claim.

I don’t want him regardless. We’ve hired a guy with no experience in Daley to being interested in a dinosaur.

If ownership doesn’t trust jr and sully, and feel the need to hire people to babysit, just dump Sully and JR. They haven’t been effective in years.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Whoever replaces JR needs to have the balls to trade some future HOFers for futures, build the prospect pool, wade us through a few stinky years and not self-sabotage with our 1st round picks. If that’s Tallon so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad