Speculation: Front Office

Should Rutherford Stay or Go?

• Total voters

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Would he wanna stick around if he’s entering his late 30s and we’re going full tank?
I think it's very likely. He loves winning but I really think he'd embrace the experience of going through a rebuild and taking more of a player coach/mentor type role. I could be wrong but that's how I see him finishing his career.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think it's very likely. He loves winning but I really think he'd embrace the experience of going through a rebuild and taking more of a player coach/mentor type role. I could be wrong but that's how I see him finishing his career.
If he cared about the franchise he’d let us get a few first round picks for him.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
If he cared about the franchise he’d let us get a few first round picks for him.
If he really cared he would throw himself into a volcano to appease the hockey gods and put an end to the franchise's injury curse.

Edit
No Joe vs the Volcano fans in here, not even Hanks himself. Tough crowd. :help:

Last edited:

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I could see where Crosby and Letang sign 1 yr deals with Montreal (Sid’s childhood favorite and Letang’s home team) to finish their careers together. The lineup could look something like this...

2025-26 Montreal Canadiens

Tuch Kotkaniemi Caufield
Drouin Suzuki Gallagher
Lehkonen Poehling Anderson
Aston-Reese Mysak Ylonen
Thompson

Romanov Hamilton
Guhle Letang
Leskinen Weber
Mete Ceci

Price
Crosby

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I should have elaborated on it, while being three sheets to the wind at midnight, perusing this board.

Edit: I didn't know you were Filipino, like I said above, huge opportunity for him at that stage to represent his community. Because my "some day kids" will be 1/3 black, 1/3 white, 1/3 vietnamese and they'll basically look Filipino.

I’m not Filipino but my wife is! Some day we’ll have kids and I’m glad that Asians, and Filipinos, are growing more relevant so when they’re old enough they will have someone other than people like me to look up to.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sid will retire a Penguin, for better or worse. One of his big idols is Yzerman, and a big reason for that is the one team career thing.

Geno likely will too, again, for better or worse. But I'm less certain about Geno, because winning has always been the number one thing for him. He's said, publicly, he thought about going elsewhere to be "the guy" a franchise builds around and stuff, but he knew Sid was his best shot at winning Cups so he stayed to play in his shadow. Geno's always the first to the guillotine whenever anything goes wrong, whether he's involved or not. That's gotta be tiring after the 10th year of it happening in a row. :laugh:

Letang, I have no idea. Don't see him wanting out, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Both the latter guys could end up riding off into the sunset after their deals are up due to injuries/family/being comfortable with their legacies. Could also re-sign for a couple years, though I don't see them taking big discounts. Ovechkin's going to set an ugly precedent in that regard.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

We're talking about the same guy who has ate the same pre-game meal since he was 6 among his 3,000 other "rituals?" I don't think change is Sid's strong suit.

The odds of us getting another generational player after having 3 consecutive is pretty slim. We're going to suck for awhile whether we trade Sid and Geno or they go down with the ship. Might as well make them lifers.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
We're talking about the same guy who has ate the same pre-game meal since he was 6 among his 3,000 other "rituals?" I don't think change is Sid's strong suit.

The odds of us getting another generational player after having 3 consecutive is pretty slim. We're going to suck for awhile whether we trade Sid and Geno or they go down with the ship. Might as well make them lifers.

This is basically it. I aint trading any of the core anymore. That ship sailed years ago. Right now, we all go down with the ship. You CAN NOT trade a world class player with 15+ years of time served, multiple championships, and not a single bad word said about the org or city. You just can't.

If Sid/Geno/Letang want a trade to 'help' the team financially or to 'pursue' another challenge or kid dream team...fine...you let them do that, I guess. But I really don't see how you trade them or ghost them during UFA when they hit it. You offer a damn contract until they want to hang em up.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This is basically it. I aint trading any of the core anymore. That ship sailed years ago. Right now, we all go down with the ship. You CAN NOT trade a world class player with 15+ years of time served, multiple championships, and not a single bad word said about the org or city. You just can't.

If Sid/Geno/Letang want a trade to 'help' the team financially or to 'pursue' another challenge or kid dream team...fine...you let them do that, I guess. But I really don't see how you trade them or ghost them during UFA when they hit it. You offer a damn contract until they want to hang em up.
Sure, you want to keep legends on one time for entire careers, but it rarely happens.

If the Pens fall off of a cliff, which jr is doing everything in his power to do this, I don’t see Malkin and Letang staying here.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

100 percent agree.

Sure, you want to keep legends on one time for entire careers, but it rarely happens.

If the Pens fall off of a cliff, which jr is doing everything in his power to do this, I don’t see Malkin and Letang staying here.

Then it's time to relax and enjoy things now. Gen X Deux bro. It's on its way:surrender

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016

You think they'll demand a trade, though???

I can see them seeing full contract out and cordially signing elsewhere.

I guess what it comes down to, is, the Pens very very likely are not getting ANY return if they lose these superstars. Because...they ain't getting traded.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You think they'll demand a trade, though???

I can see them seeing full contract out and cordially signing elsewhere.

I guess what it comes down to, is, the Pens very very likely are not getting ANY return if they lose these superstars. Because...they ain't getting traded.
Yea, I think Geno will finish our his contract here and then sign with a contender or somewhere more appealing than Pittsburgh; Miami or LA. I could even see him return to Russia to play for a year or two.

I live in Pittsburgh, but if I had Geno money, I’d prefer to live elsewhere.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I can see Geno go KHL. Dunno about NHL teams. I can see Tanger sign in MTL. That's it.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Analytics are for suckers.

Size and grit can't be measured.

upload_2020-10-31_12-10-39.jpeg

Detecto+Large+Easy+to+Read+Dial+Personal+Scale.jpg

Reactions: Peat

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I could see where Crosby and Letang sign 1 yr deals with Montreal (Sid’s childhood favorite and Letang’s home team) to finish their careers together. The lineup could look something like this...

2025-26 Montreal Canadiens

Tuch Kotkaniemi Caufield
Drouin Suzuki Gallagher
Lehkonen Poehling Anderson
Aston-Reese Mysak Ylonen
Thompson

Romanov Hamilton
Guhle Letang
Leskinen Weber
Mete Ceci

Price
Crosby
Dusts off his Dad's old Junior Canadiens goalie gear?

Reactions: Rust17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad