Speculation: Front Office

Should Rutherford Stay or Go?

• Total voters

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What's the general feeling about Allvin? I suppose this makes him the potential successor to JR, which is important because I think this team is teetering on the brink of missing the playoffs and if/when we do, JR is either going to be fired or retire. Basically, I don't see a way he's the GM for this team by the time the next off-season starts unless all these question marks up and down the lineup turn out to overperform pretty dramatically.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
What's the general feeling about Allvin? I suppose this makes him the potential successor to JR, which is important because I think this team is teetering on the brink of missing the playoffs and if/when we do, JR is either going to be fired or retire. Basically, I don't see a way he's the GM for this team by the time the next off-season starts unless all these question marks up and down the lineup turn out to overperform pretty dramatically.

It's a bit difficult to judge him as a potential GM right now, since he hasn't been in that sort of role so far?
That said, I think he's done well as the head of Amateur scouting, so he at least seems to have a pretty good head for talent evaluation, which is a rather important part of the job. It sounds like they're going to have Sam Ventura help out more with the Cap, so even if he doesn't have much experience with that now, he's got some solid help to lean on.

So I guess I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic about this move.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How are we supposed to be feeling about this?

Allvin was the Euro scout (painful the euro's we've picked) and then head scout and now Assistant GM.

I have zero faith in any of these f***ing wankers that have been around forever like Allvin with the Penguins, right now.

Allvin - "I hope to continue scouting european players that our dipshit coach will utilize incredibly poorly."

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How are we supposed to be feeling about this?

Allvin was the Euro scout (painful the euro's we've picked) and then head scout and now Assistant GM.

I have zero faith in any of these f***ing wankers that have been around forever like Allvin with the Penguins, right now.

Allvin - "I hope to continue scouting european players that our dipshit coach will utilize incredibly poorly."

What’s wrong with the Euros we’ve picked?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What’s wrong with the Euros we’ve picked?
Not a damn thing. They've done great for other teams, not much for us.

I think he's done a fairly solid job as a scout, but the way Rutherford has managed them and Sullivan has utilized them, I don't know how long Allvin would last in his role before he rubs one of those f***ing muppets the wrong way and is let go with some bs non-answer reason.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Not a damn thing. They've done great for other teams, not much for us.

I think he's done a fairly solid job as a scout, but the way Rutherford has managed them and Sullivan has utilized them, I don't know how long Allvin would last in his role before he rubs one of those f***ing muppets the wrong way and is let go with some bs non-answer reason.
He wouldn't be hired if they had those intentions lol. If anything this signals they value his input mightily.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It’s hard to get excited about promoting anyone that has worked for this term over the last years. The team has been driven into
the ground for 3 and a half years.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
A scout to take the lead when this team starts the rebuild. Not bad at all.

In Chipmunks we trust!?
I actually like Allvin, but my faith in how this entire organization operates lately has taken such a huge hit. 35+ years and even the Gen X years had me feel at least somewhat hopeful because at that point, we'd been rock bottom and any change could be a good change (so we thought). I will always feel a massive lack of faith as long as JR and Sully are here, unless they magically get the f*** over themselves and see the error of their ways, that's my stance.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think there’s any chance of Allvin being promoted to GM anytime soon. Not when he doesn’t even apparently have the entirety of the normal AGM duties like running the AHL team.

JR won’t be replaced from within.

Reactions: shaler79

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don’t think there’s any chance of Allvin being promoted to GM anytime soon. Not when he doesn’t even apparently have the entirety of the normal AGM duties like running the AHL team.

JR won’t be replaced from within.
It's like a "thanks for being in this shit show for this long, here's a promotion, by the way, you'll kind of be doing the same shit, just a tiny bit more of a pay raise, sit and look pretty."

Reactions: Jacob

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I've liked the picks/strategy that can be attributed to Allvin, and I like how much they like him, but I'm not sure he's the voice needed to bring more to the front office. And I wouldn't place too many bets on him being Rutherford's successor just yet either.

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I've liked the picks/strategy that can be attributed to Allvin, and I like how much they like him, but I'm not sure he's the voice needed to bring more to the front office. And I wouldn't place too many bets on him being Rutherford's successor just yet either.
You can tell he's not the successor and likely did it so he wouldn't leave. The bloke has like no new responsibilities.

It's like being the full time regular and you get promoted to assistant thinking you'll be done with your old tasks but you aren't and the raise is only a buck but now you'll be accountable for shit that is out of your hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad