Speculation: Front Office

Should Rutherford Stay or Go?

• Total voters

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
@Big Friggin Dummy

Mate it's clear as day he lost the room last year in the playoffs. This year they didn't even care enough to pretend they cared.

This 1000%. This team goes as the stars go and that’s been the case for decades. If you thought last year against the Isles was a message of not caring Game 4 against the Habs tripled down! Sully will be gone by mid year and maybe an intern coach can strike magic in a bottle once again.

Reactions: StutzlesTapeJob

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Sully canned by mid year makes sense given the changes. I wonder if one assistant they bring in will purposely be HC in waiting. Mgmt gets to see how a new hc gels with players, players get to consider buying into sully or the known alternative.

As dust settles I’m more optimistic about our roster situation. A few moves made (MM, JJ, maybe Rust for the right return). A few fa’s walk. A few signings (I do think there are very good fits for what we need out there at reasonable prices). We end up with a refreshed squad with better balance and dog poop, while maybe gaining light assets, and some flexibility to navigate moving forward. we could be in much worse shape.

i would feel better if it wasn’t GMJR at the helm though. He did well during his stint. But the recent results and moves haven’t worked and a fresh perspective would go a long way.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I feel like Sullivan would have been fired for sure if not for the fact this organization has fired a coach twice and then gone on to win the Cup. And of course St. Louis did the same thing last season too, so there is also recency bias.

I don't think it is a good reason to keep him around but I do think it is the only reason he is still around.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I feel like Sullivan would have been fired for sure if not for the fact this organization has fired a coach twice and then gone on to win the Cup. And of course St. Louis did the same thing last season too, so there is also recency bias.

I don't think it is a good reason to keep him around but I do think it is the only reason he is still around.

you’re saying he’s still around only because they want to fire him mid-season lol? ...nah dog, he’s around because they just invested a lot of money in a four year contract extension for him and they don’t want to pay that out in an upcoming season where they may have few fans in the stands, or generate any real income...

Reactions: EightyOne

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
you’re saying he’s still around only because they want to fire him mid-season lol? ...nah dog, he’s around because they just invested a lot of money in a four year contract extension for him and they don’t want to pay that out in an upcoming season where they may have few fans in the stands, or generate any real income...

They are going to get rid of him anyway, so it is not like they are going to be able to get much out of that extension.

Besides, as soon as they fire him he will be re-hired in a heartbeat by another NHL team. Are they still on the hook for all of his salary if another team hires him immediately?

I am not sure how coaching contracts work, tbh.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They are going to get rid of him anyway, so it is not like they are going to be able to get much out of that extension.

Besides, as soon as they fire him he will be re-hired in a heartbeat by another NHL team. Are they still on the hook for all of his salary if another team hires him immediately?

I am not sure how coaching contracts work, tbh.

That was going to be my question too. As best I can work out, it seems like there's no compensation when a coach is fired, but the money is guaranteed and the only way it ceases to be guaranteed is if they take a job elsewhere because then they've broken contract.

If correct then yeah, the moment Sully gets a job elsewhere, the promised contract is no longer Pittsburgh's problem.

Reactions: Andy99

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
That was going to be my question too. As best I can work out, it seems like there's no compensation when a coach is fired, but the money is guaranteed and the only way it ceases to be guaranteed is if they take a job elsewhere because then they've broken contract.

If correct then yeah, the moment Sully gets a job elsewhere, the promised contract is no longer Pittsburgh's problem.

And we KNOW he will be snapped up because NHL teams cannot help themselves when it comes to recycling veteran coaches.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And we KNOW he will be snapped up because NHL teams cannot help themselves when it comes to recycling veteran coaches.
Yeah which is why I never gave a shit about the narrative of "the Pens won't want to pay him when he's fired..." They wouldn't, not for long anyway.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

well Gallant and Lavy haven’t been...I don’t think it’s a sure thing and it depends on what his salary ask is too and whether he wants to be/live at the NHL city that wants to employ him

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
That headline is extremely sensationalized. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the actual quote since its paywalled, but JR doesn't say that he wants JJ to finish his career as a Penguin. He says that he is in a good physical shape that he'll be able to play at least three more seasons, whether it's with the Pens or anyone else.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
JR sounds like someone doubling down on their mistakes because he doesn't like being called out for making them. Jesus Christ.

At least a "positive", if you can call it that, is that JR realizes that Johnson needs to be playing with the "right D partner", meaning that he'll probably bring in a puck moving RD this off-season.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
that’s pathetic...I can only hope this article was for consumption by the other GMs to try to raise his trade value...I got nothing ..

I’m holding out hope that is the case, but otherwise it’s a terrible evaluation. I can’t tell where he’s implying there will be change in the blue line. Clearly Schultz is gone, but not clear about other players.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That headline is extremely sensationalized. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the actual quote since its paywalled, but JR doesn't say that he wants JJ to finish his career as a Penguin. He says that he is in a good physical shape that he'll be able to play at least three more seasons, whether it's with the Pens or anyone else.

I'm starting to get really pissed with Rossi's and Yohe's bullshit at this point.

If JR didn't say that, they're just making titles to get people outraged and to get them to click on the article.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

What is it with people that cover the Pens that like to use misleading headlines? That Wes Crosby dude wrote an article on NHL.com saying Sidney Crosby believes the Pens' window might be closing. Then you read the article and Crosby says nothing of the sort, he just acknowledges a suggestion that "as you age, it's possible" or something to that effect.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm starting to get really pissed with Rossi's and Yohe's bullshit at this point.

If JR didn't say that, they're just making titles to get people outraged and to get them to click on the article.

They probably don't write their own headlines.

Here's some quotes:

“Here’s my summary of this situation,” a terse Rutherford said. “Maybe Jack Johnson isn’t as good as I think he is. Maybe. But he’s not as bad as all of the anti-Jack Johnson people think he is. I’ll tell you what he is: He’s a solid, third-pairing defenseman if he’s playing with the right guy. He’s a player that I happen to really like and I think he’s a better player than a lot of people want to give him credit for.”

“He’ll be able to play out his contract,” Rutherford said. “Whether it’s for someone else for it’s for the Penguins, he’ll play at least (three more seasons) what’s left on his deal. The thing about him is that he takes extremely good care of himself. He’s in great shape and he’ll continue to be in great shape because he’s such a professional. So I don’t have concerns.”

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

It really wasn’t that sensationalized. JR may be bluffing, but he also said that JJ’s contract wouldn’t be a problem for us. If you don’t have an account on the Athletic to read it, would highly recommend. It’s like $30 a year.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Im sure the legion of Pens people across the internet will turn this into takes about how bad JJ is and how the GM is dumb but personally this all seems like JR is trying to convince himself Johnson is serviceable more than he is trying to convince us :laugh:. Resigned to the idea of him for 3 more years.

Rips other players. Makes any and every weak excuse to poo-poo his poor play, etc etc..... comments like these make it so much more obvious they know he sucks imo.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They probably don't write their own headlines.

Here's some quotes:

“Here’s my summary of this situation,” a terse Rutherford said. “Maybe Jack Johnson isn’t as good as I think he is. Maybe. But he’s not as bad as all of the anti-Jack Johnson people think he is. I’ll tell you what he is: He’s a solid, third-pairing defenseman if he’s playing with the right guy. He’s a player that I happen to really like and I think he’s a better player than a lot of people want to give him credit for.”

“He’ll be able to play out his contract,” Rutherford said. “Whether it’s for someone else for it’s for the Penguins, he’ll play at least (three more seasons) what’s left on his deal. The thing about him is that he takes extremely good care of himself. He’s in great shape and he’ll continue to be in great shape because he’s such a professional. So I don’t have concerns.”

So yeah, the title is total bullshit then. That's what I figured.

What makes that title worse is that it suggests that JR wants to keep Johnson for a long time, not just for next year. JR made no indication that he "wants" to keep JJ with those comments. One is that he's a solid defenseman with the right partner, and the other is saying he'll play out his contract and then some in the NHL. The article title sounds like JR is saying "we want JJ to stay here until he retires", which is a downright lie from what JR said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad