Speculation: Front Office

Should Rutherford Stay or Go?

• Total voters

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My point still stands. Flyers are lucky as f***. We had none. Partially because of reasons I am sure you will list.
Flyers are playing with a semblance of structure, outside of that blowout game, they've played to their system and have been playing the chess the Habs were playing.

The Pens? Those f***ing wankers were playing Snakes & Ladders while the Habs were playing Chess on their ass.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Did Marleau even play here? Like ever? I noticed Connor Sheary and not when we busy falling on his face like a drunken monkey in a space helmet.

I mean dare I say it but Tanner Glass and Craig Adams were more effective and contributing to the Pens than Marleau. At least they could both kill penalties well.

Marleau was just one of the biggest limp dicks I’ve seen get a spot in the lineup in decades on this team. How he got a pass to continue to get a spot in the lineup let alone the 3rd line was mind boggling.

Reactions: Darkwing Psyduck

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean dare I say it but Tanner Glass and Craig Adams were more effective and contributing to the Pens than Marleau. At least they could both kill penalties well.

Marleau was just one of the biggest limp dicks I’ve seen get a spot in the lineup in decades on this team. How he got a pass to continue to get a spot in the lineup let alone the 3rd line was mind boggling.
Miro Satan was what, 34-35yrs old when he joined the Pens?

Went to WBS like a motherf***ing champ.
Mentored the guys in WBS like a motherf***ing champ.
Came up and played on the 4th line like a motherf***ing champ.
He fought and played like a grinder, like a motherf***ing champ.

He ended his Penguins career, as a motherf***ing CHAMP.

Marleau went out like a f***ing chump.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Ya know....

...Sullivan used to piss me off by changing lines TOO often.

..what I wouldn't give for him to have tinkered on them the last two eliminations instead of bull-headedly charging forward with terrible chemistry.

On one hand, you're like, well they knew they were beat up and couldn't win anyway so they just laid down and died.

But....the team is on record as being VERY adamant and vocal about restarting the season.

Why would they have unanimously voted yes if they knew there were only going to be able to scuttle the ship, and not challenge deep?

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think it's entirely plausible that Sully's lost the ear of the room. I think it's blatantly obvious that Sully's lost the plot, and prefers to overplay/dress pretty terrible choices personnel-wise. I do think we should've fired him with the rest of the assistants. But I don't think a single coach could've gotten this team to make a deep playoff run, because JR has assembled a patchwork shitshow of "depth" to surround the key pieces we do have.

Nothing improves as long as JR is still here randomly throwing mud at a wall to see what sticks, imo.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
@Big Friggin Dummy

Mate it's clear as day he lost the room last year in the playoffs. This year they didn't even care enough to pretend they cared.
We're in agreement on Sully, I promise, but they're just not a good team on top of that, imo. Again, I would've canned Sully with the assistants and think that him sticking around for one more year of the tired old bullshit is going to go a long way toward wasting one of the last few precious years of The Big 3.

Could a different coach have gotten us past Montreal? Sure, absolutely. Simply not dressing JJ-Schultz would probably have done that, in all honesty. But we'd have just gotten massacred in the 1st round by whoever we faced. I look around the NHL and every single team I see playing would laugh us out of the arena.

And yes, I remember their regular season record. People keep bringing that up as if it means anything come playoff time. :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We're in agreement on Sully, I promise, but they're just not a good team on top of that, imo. Again, I would've canned Sully with the assistants and think that him sticking around for one more year of the tired old bullshit is going to go a long way toward wasting one of the last few precious years of The Big 3.

Could a different coach have gotten us past Montreal? Sure, absolutely. Simply not dressing JJ-Schultz would probably have done that, in all honesty. But we'd have just gotten massacred in the 1st round by whoever we faced. I look around the NHL and every single team I see playing would laugh us out of the arena.

And yes, I remember their regular season record. People keep bringing that up as if it means anything come playoff time. :laugh:
Ok here's the thing about JJ, if you absolutely must play him, why wouldn't you stick him with Marino which worked for a good part of the season. Then you scratch that even bigger dumpster fire Schultz and go Pettersson-Riikola 3rd pair.

The split of Jake with Geno, Sid and Zucker, etc...it was a series of idiotic choices that people just couldn't make up an excuse for with Mike Sullivan, finally. FINALLY.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
tenor.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yes because of game 2. Otherwise, Philly has played a structured game. Montreal has no answers. This series definitely reflects poorly on the Pens coaching staff. No doubt about it.

This series has nothing to do with the Pens coaching staff.

Last series against the Pens was clearly one of the worst coaching performances of the Crosby era.

Reactions: Peat

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This series has nothing to do with the Pens coaching staff.

Last series against the Pens was clearly one of the worst coaching performances of the Crosby era.
It kind of does though mate. Philly came with a plan and have adjusted to the habs accordingly.

Pens didn't. Pens played like they didn't need to the same way Bylsma used to do that "grind em bitches down and stick to our game" is now Sullys "stick-toitiveness and play our game"...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It kind of does though mate. Philly came with a plan and have adjusted to the habs accordingly.

Pens didn't. Pens played like they didn't need to the same way Bylsma used to do that "grind em bitches down and stick to our game" is now Sullys "stick-toitiveness and play our game"...

Is Philly’s plan being out chanced and counting on Montreal’s ability to not finish get them through?

Because that is certainly a plan.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Is Philly’s plan being out chanced and counting on Montreal’s ability to not finish get them through?

Because that is certainly a plan.
Philly can't really answer the speed but they've kept a lot of chances to the outside. Mate, it's ok to admit the flyers are playing a more structured game than the Pens. Because they are. Doesn't mean it's leaps and bounds better. It's literally the usual AV style that gets him to the 2nd or 3rd round before he gets murdered.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Philly can't really answer the speed but they've kept a lot of chances to the outside. Mate, it's ok to admit the flyers are playing a more structured game than the Pens. Because they are. Doesn't mean it's leaps and bounds better. It's literally the usual AV style that gets him to the 2nd or 3rd round before he gets murdered.

I think Philly is being outplayed as I said.

Hockey is a game of luck and people are trying to act like a simple change to our system would’ve beat Monteal.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I think Philly is being outplayed as I said.

Hockey is a game of luck and people are trying to act like a simple change to our system would’ve beat Monteal.

True. But....was there ANY change. At some point during a series or hell even a game, when you aren't getting results you gotta do SOMEthing.

Sullivan has JMFJ out in the last five minutes.

Like...bro. That's tanger and dumo/marino getting more ice time..EZ decision

There ain't no excuse to do ANYTHING except that. Just like it should be Sid and Geno lines double shifting. Like. f***.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
True. But....was there ANY change. At some point during a series or hell even a game, when you aren't getting results you gotta do SOMEthing.

There ain't no excuse to do ANYTHING except that. Just like it should be Sid and Geno lines double shifting. Like. f***.

You seem to think I'm saying the Penguins did the right things against the Canadiens.

They didn't. That doesn't change the fact that Philadelphia has looked like shit.

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

He made some changes. Scrambled some lines. I think he told the team to be more defensive.

He didn't make any good changes. And that he kept riding the worst possible pairing is insane.

Montreal deserve some respect but there's a bunch of things where just one thing could have changed that series for us, and coaching's really high on it.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You seem to think I'm saying the Penguins did the right things against the Canadiens.

They didn't. That doesn't change the fact that Philadelphia has looked like shit.
Looked like shit and trying to change and adapt is better than looking like shit and being too ignorant and not changing shit to fight back.

All any of us wanted was Sully to change things but he made the wrong decisions and the players just finally said f*** this.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Looked like shit and trying to change and adapt is better than looking like shit and being too ignorant and not changing shit to fight back.

All any of us wanted was Sully to change things but he made the wrong decisions and the players just finally said f*** this.

Once again. I am not arguing this point.

As we saw again tonight, Montreal has been the better team against Philly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad