News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts (Habs Pursuing Dubois)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
Yeah we get it but why would I refuse to acquire a potential cornerstone of the next 10 years because of 7 missed games.

That's the problem though. Not just this year, but for the coming years.

Having KK + Suzuki for cheap means they can possibly sign Danault. So even though they don't have a superstar, they still have 3 solid centers for a few years. If they trade one of KK or Suzuki for PLD, then they can no longer sign Danault. So even though they would improve the top line, they end up eventually with Evans and Poehling as 3rd and 4th center because Danault would not be extended, and they are stuck for years with the lack of depth at center.

Which is better?

This is why the only way this works is if you trade Danault and package (Guhle + 1st round pick + salary dump?) for PLD. And it is a very delicate situation, because Danault is a lock with Gallagher and Tatar right now, so you may disturb the chemistry and morale. Plus, Danault is an option if Suzuki or KK are either injured or run out of gas, and his defensive/faceoff is really important right now.

So that's the problem. I would not do it for that return if I was Columbus, and I would not do it if I was Montreal. Plus, Montreal can be patient, whereas Columbus is stuck with a problem that will lose value over time.

A lot of journalists are making a lot of noise around this, but it is not going to happen with Montreal. A deal was possibly discussed before the start of the season, but obviously Bergevin did not go for it. If it did not work then, it makes less sense now.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That's the problem though. Not just this year, but for the coming years.

Having KK + Suzuki for cheap means they can possibly sign Danault. So even though they don't have a superstar, they still have 3 solid centers for a few years. If they trade one of KK or Suzuki for PLD, then they can no longer sign Danault. So even though they would improve the top line, they end up eventually with Evans and Poehling as 3rd and 4th center because Danault would not be extended, and they are stuck for years with the lack of depth at center.

Which is better?

This is why the only way this works is if you trade Danault and package (Guhle + 1st round pick + salary dump?) for PLD. And it is a very delicate situation, because Danault is a lock with Gallagher and Tatar right now, so you may disturb the chemistry and morale. Plus, Danault is an option if Suzuki or KK are either injured or run out of gas, and his defensive/faceoff is really important right now.

So that's the problem. I would not do it for that return if I was Columbus, and I would not do it if I was Montreal. Plus, Montreal can be patient, whereas Columbus is stuck with a problem that will lose value over time.

A lot of journalists are making a lot of noise around this, but it is not going to happen with Montreal. A deal was possibly discussed before the start of the season, but obviously Bergevin did not go for it. If it did not work then, it makes less sense now.

I’d much rather have a core of Suzuki+PLD going forward than overpaying for Danault. You can find useful 3rd line centres on the market. They are also two players that can play 18 mins a night easily, and you don’t have to play a guy like Danault 19 mins.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Considering it has implications for both federal and provincial jurisdictions, this would likely be a joint decision with input from both orders.

I don't think they are worried about a few players moving to each country and then staying there for the rest of the season. They are more worried about back and forth traffic

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
That's already a lot. I wouldn't be happy about dealing Caufield. I'd rather give them Poeling. Plus that first. Starts to get onerous.

Poehling + 1st is insulting, even if pending UFA Danault is included.

The only reason Danault might work in a deal is that Torts would fall in love with him and probably use him as a 1C (especially when Domi is the other top 6C). Danault might actually get to sign the deal he's looking for. Chances are though a deal would look like KK + Caufield +

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
I wonder if guys like KK and Suzuki are hearing their name floating around in a trade scenario. I can tell they love it here in Montreal and with them still being young, I hope it won't affect their game.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I won't be surprised when this ends up being Danault (Torts kind of guy) + Caufield (blue chipper) and a 1st

While I also keep thinking torts honestly wouldn't mind a guy like danault since it's clearly going to be a long year for domi, and they wouldn't give KK all the opportunities of a top 6 center right away, at least I don't think torts has the patience to hold KKs hand

You still need to send a out 2.7 mill the other way, and it can't be garbage

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If the roles were reversed would you want these guys for Dubois?
that's crazy.
Danault is an UFA after this year. He's older and more of a utility player.
Poehling is headed towards a bust or marginal player.
Caufield is the draw, but it will take more.
KK is more intriguing but you'd have to throw more in to get Dubois. A first rounder or someone like Norlinder.

Yeah, I think Columbus could get better elsewhere.

In another post I asked what people thought about Caufield, Poehling, Danault, Drouin, and a 1st. (Hence the +) inbthe post you're replying to. Most people said I was insane to offer so much for Dubois.

A couple said Columbus would say no. I'm guessing you'd be in that camp.

One poster said it's bad for both sides.

I think it would be good for us to give up that much. Is it good for Columbus? I'm probably too biased to see that it isn't in fact good for them. They'll probably get better quality pieces somewhere else.

Fyi, for what it's worth Pierre McGuire said on tsn690 that he would give up Suzuki for Dubois, even though he likes Suzuki a lot. He said it's partly because of the size factor, but partly because he said Dubois is just starting to scratch the surface and will be a true number 1 center.

Reactions: azcanuck

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I go back and forth on whether Caufield should/would be included in a fair trade.......

Obviously we should keep him....but PLD fixes our centre depth for the next 10+ years...I don't think Kotkaniemi has the same upside.

PLD
Suzuki
Danault (for now)

That's a really solid 1,2,3 which could be long term. It's hard not to consider moving Caufield in a package (with KK) if that's what it takes.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's already a lot. I wouldn't be happy about dealing Caufield. I'd rather give them Poeling. Plus that first. Starts to get onerous.

Carter at age 26 returned Voracek, 8th OA (Couturier), and a 3rd rounder (N Cousins). We are not going to get PLD with a low offer. He's 1C at the age of 22! Maybe the back end of the 1st line center group but he's certainly in that mix.

If some fans are not prepared to offer what it takes, don't offer anything at all. Danault plus futures (not in the NHL today) is not going to work.

Reactions: Hansman and Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Can't you just test the guy when he gets here???

I was wondering about the 14 day rules when you are able to test them? Is there different commercial rules on Covid quarantine we don't know about? I do know that are exceptions made in some cases. I just wonder though... I'm sure the NHL has already talked to the Canadian government about this. It's not like there will be a shit load of trades but could be at the trade deadline. This puts the Canadian teams at a disadvantage. I honestly don't think our government is that strict and they are flexibility as long as you can provide safe protocols. I don't this this story is going away and it's final yet. Look at the "regularly cross the border for work" one below. This would be one trip with trades and far less than others who cross more frequently.

JG7uzq9.jpg

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The political optics of special dispensation for a non-essential worker would be terrible. The NHL proceeding in as they are, not in a bubble, already has people saying “why not me?”.

Reactions: Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't see the Habs doing this deal for Suzuki...

But there's a deal to be made around Kotkaniemi if they want too. I don't think this will happen this year, cause I don't think the Jackets are going to trade him until the offseason at the earliest. But this is definitely one of those those trades that seems too obvious not to make, stars seemed aligned (a lot like the Domi for Anderson swap).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia