News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts (Habs Pursuing Dubois)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The political optics of special dispensation for a non-essential worker would be terrible. The NHL proceeding in as they are, not in a bubble, already has people saying “why not me?”.

There was already a precedent for NHL personnel, team staff and players getting access to thousands of Covid tests when they played in the bubbles during the summer. Tests that weren't available to the common mortal. Not to mention immediate results for tests when the average person had to wait weeks.

I think we're past the point where people will lambaste the NHL -- we all know they have the ability to buy vaccines privately and will use that priviledge as soon as the vaccines are available and be able to move ahead of the most vulnerable citizens in doing so -- even if, technically, the NHL's vaccines will be coming from a separate, private stock.

The optics for Canadians I would surmise, favor NHL players as a source of entertainment and diversion during the pandemic. It probably keeps people from doing more dumb stuff.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The political optics of special dispensation for a non-essential worker would be terrible. The NHL proceeding in as they are, not in a bubble, already has people saying “why not me?”.

The political perception is a factor yes. However, I don't believe the Canadian government is that strict. They could just say yes, as long as you do this, this, this, and this. Almost like how they allowed each team play in their own rinks and not one city bubble. Focus will be safety and less crowds. It's been like that from the get go. Hockey is part of our culture just like having liquor stores open! The Canadian government and provinces will not have a "I won't listen" narrative.

It's a bit different when you have money to facilitate more safe protocols (testing for example) than the general public or smaller businesses.

Or they already talked about it and have something in place they have not leaked yet. Did Perry quarantine for the full 14 days? He did say he dropped by the rink and seen Weber but had to get in his truck right away (his first zoom video release). I think there are things going on behind the scenes we don't know and they don't want you to know... for the very same reason you brought up. Perry had the zoom conference on Dec 29th and I believe he joined our team in camp on Jan 5th. That means, he would have had to be in Montreal Dec 22nd. Before Christmas? Then he said his family will join him later? So he spent Christmas in Montreal without his family? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Why Canadiens' pursuit of Pierre-Luc Dubois is a complex, risky endeavour

Torts all but says he's been really hard on PLD and they've been going at it for years now which Torts thinks is healthy but may have rubbed DuBois the wrong way.

Not sure if Jarmo is seeing this or not but they've had a lot of quality players openly ask to leave and I don't think it goes further than Torts as a coach. At what point does Jarmo say enough is enough and make a coaching change?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't see the Habs doing this deal for Suzuki...

But there's a deal to be made around Kotkaniemi if they want too. I don't think this will happen this year, cause I don't think the Jackets are going to trade him until the offseason at the earliest. But this is definitely one of those those trades that seems too obvious not to make, stars seemed aligned (a lot like the Domi for Anderson swap).

I think if a deal can be made now, and they find a way to consume it during the week that the Habs have off, then you don't lose the opportunity because of a short term impediment -- you have to take a long term view and also one where there may be less suitors and a clearer path to a player. If the Habs have the means to do a deal now, then why postpone it to the summer where other potential suitors may enter the fray? You always strike when the iron's hot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why Canadiens' pursuit of Pierre-Luc Dubois is a complex, risky endeavour

Torts all but says he's been really hard on PLD and they've been going at it for years now which Torts thinks is healthy but may have rubbed DuBois the wrong way.

Not sure if Jarmo is seeing this or not but they've had a lot of quality players openly ask to leave and I don't think it goes further than Torts as a coach. At what point does Jarmo say enough is enough and make a coaching change?

That's exactly what I'm thinking. If it's Torts, Jarmo can easily find out -- get on the blower with his assistant coaches, leaders in the room, etc. There may be more than just PLD who have had enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterling Archer

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
i'd give em a D instead. Can't trade Caufield away when the team hasn't drafted any natural scorers since picking him.
That's already a lot. I wouldn't be happy about dealing Caufield. I'd rather give them Poeling. Plus that first. Starts to get onerous.

We're talking about trying to get a number 1 center that has put upn60 points as a 22 year old. Many have him getting to 70 or 80.

Yeah it's going to be onerous to try to get such a player. You bet we'll have to lose a Caufield level prospect. And, Columbus is stacked on D but thin up front.

Reactions: Tighthead

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
You're all over the place mate..lol
PLD Koivu Getzlaf...Allen out..Weal and Danault...That's not gonna happen.

PLD is all we'd get, and I don't think we'll move KK or Suzuki for him. Just for cap purposes, if KK/Suzuki are the main pieces out, they don't even have a 1M cap hit so...there's another 4M we'd have to free up for PLD.
Danault is 3M on the way back, he's set to be an UFA, he makes most sense from our end. He's still an established 50pt two center with Selke considerations. It's not nothing. It's more about what we can add to it imo.

I agree with you, but it all depends how CBJ sees Danault. What do you think we'll have to add to Danault (other than the obvious contract extension) to get it done for PLD. My guess is, we don't have enough (if we don't want to include Romy/Suzuki/KK).

It sure would be a perfect scenario to be able to upgrade from Danault to PLD.

EDIT : Nevermind, saw later you said Danault + Caufield + 1st. I hope it's possible.

Last edited:

Want My Dach x 77

Sep 2, 2010
vancouver, bc
That's already a lot. I wouldn't be happy about dealing Caufield. I'd rather give them Poeling. Plus that first. Starts to get onerous.
Danault is unsigned though and the odds of him resigning there is very slim , Caulfield might actually intrigue them because he’s an American and playing in Ohio might not be a bad thing for him. Americans have generally stayed the course in Columbus

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Columbus has tended to prefer bigger sized players so I wonder if they still have that bias as it would make a difference in terms of considering Caufield as an option.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think if a deal can be made now, and they find a way to consume it during the week that the Habs have off, then you don't lose the opportunity because of a short term impediment -- you have to take a long term view and also one where there may be less suitors and a clearer path to a player. If the Habs have the means to do a deal now, then why postpone it to the summer where other potential suitors may enter the fray? You always strike when the iron's hot.
I meant more from the Blue Jackets perspective...I'm sure this came as a bit of a shocker.

I don't think you make moves or decisions like this in a week or 2.

I'm sure the Blue Jackets would rather keep PLD and hope they can convince him to continue to be a big part of their team over there.

Either way, if only for the discussion, I think it's amazing that the Habs are one of the teams who a player is actually pushing for, one from their own backyard no less.

Perhaps the Habs have turned a corner optically...would be nice.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
There was already a precedent for NHL personnel, team staff and players getting access to thousands of Covid tests when they played in the bubbles during the summer. Tests that weren't available to the common mortal. Not to mention immediate results for tests when the average person had to wait weeks.

I think we're past the point where people will lambaste the NHL -- we all know they have the ability to buy vaccines privately and will use that priviledge as soon as the vaccines are available and be able to move ahead of the most vulnerable citizens in doing so -- even if, technically, the NHL's vaccines will be coming from a separate, private stock.

The optics for Canadians I would surmise, favor NHL players as a source of entertainment and diversion during the pandemic. It probably keeps people from doing more dumb stuff.

Bettman stated on Monday in a TSN Overdrive the league wouldn’t jump the queue to get vaccines earlier. They’ll be treated like everyone else.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Columbus has tended to prefer bigger sized players so I wonder if they still have that bias as it would make a difference in terms of considering Caufield as an option.
They got one of the NHL's better small players in Atkinson over there.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I meant more from the Blue Jackets perspective...I'm sure this came as a bit of a shocker.

I don't think you make moves or decisions like this in a week or 2.

I'm sure the Blue Jackets would rather keep PLD and hope they can convince him to continue to be a big part of their team over there.

Either way, if only for the discussion, I think it's amazing that the Habs are one of the teams who a player is actually pushing for, one from their own backyard no less.

Perhaps the Habs have turned a corner optically...would be nice.

My apologies, I misread you.

Yeah, from CLB's perspective, they're facing a whole other set of issues. I think it begins with Torts -- he's on a relentless campaign to expose PLD and it's toxic. Does Jarmo give him a call to tone it down or is Jarmo in on it? I really don't understand the point of Torts going on all these platforms and bashing PLD.

Reactions: 417

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Im sorry anyone clearly we don't give Suzuki for PLD

But they will want Kotkaniemi instead which in my opinion is not a big lost to get a 22 year olds who can produce 55+points a year.

They won't take danault unless hes paired with KK which is impossible because that would leave us with no 3rd line center.

If the trade happen its gonna be KK+SALARY + prospect and a pick

if they refuse well , he can go play the rangers and choke forever

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
My apologies, I misread you.

Yeah, from CLB's perspective, they're facing a whole other set of issues. I think it begins with Torts -- he's on a relentless campaign to expose PLD and it's toxic. Does Jarmo give him a call to tone it down or is Jarmo in on it? I really don't understand the point of Torts going on all these platforms and bashing PLD.
Yeah exactly...maybe this is one battle too many for Torts and he might be on the way out if ever the Blue Jackets get off to a bad start.

And if that happens, does PLD's feelings change?

Perhaps this is just a power play by PLD vs Torts.

Who knows really.

Reactions: Runner77

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
So we lose, KK, Tatar, Danault, Poehling, Mete and 1st all to acquie PLD and throw money at him? Solid asset management

First of all, I said Tatar OR Danult. Don't try to change my post to make your point valid.
Secondly, Poehling and Mete are fringe NHLers at this point. So KK and Tatar, 1st,Poehling and Mete for a legit 1A/1B option with Suzuki for the next decade. Sign me up.
Not to mention Tatar can be replaced during free agency as he is not directly involved in my trade proposal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They got one of the NHL's better small players in Atkinson over there.

But overall, would you not agree that Columbus tends to favor bigger bodies in terms of overall team construction? Of course, there will always be an exception. Doesn't mean they may want to sway too far from their roster building strategy.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Suzuki + 2022 Habs 1st rounder (or Romanov) for Dubois is CLB ask
No thanks
Berge counter of Kok + Mete is not gonna work either for CLB
I don't think this one is gonna happen if CLB insists on Suzuki which they will

No one wants Drouin he is a CAP dump trade to unload him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events