News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts (Habs Pursuing Dubois)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Why is everyone obsessed with trading the only two offensive prospects in our system on top of KK?

Let them take f***ing Guhle, who gives a shit.
Lets revisit this discussion in 5 years and I am convinced you will find Ghule has a better NHL career. Its all about projection and in my books Caufiled is anything but a sure bet to make it to the NHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Then why do they want young centreman. If your team has Aho, Stall and Trocheck in their prime then you're gonna be relegated to the wing in a top 6 role. Besides that he's played centre throughout his career. Jarvis and Suzuki while still being young first the age of the Columbus core. They'll have to seriously retool. They already have two outstanding D in their early primes. And Korpisalo has about 8 more years of his prime left. They need more firepower up front and anything the Habs have probably won't cut it. Rangers and Hurricanes and even Kings have a lot more to give while remaining healthy. If Habs give up a big package like them the pipeline will be bare. Better to just skip the trade. Save talent and cap space. It makes no sense to trade for a position of current strength

Why did the Canes trade for Trocheck to begin with? :sarcasm:. Sorry, there are a shit load of guys who are labeled as C/Winger types in the NHL. Necas and Kakko are two of them and both are playing wing today

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
If MB had been a little more aggressive in his offer sheet for Aho, more people would be open to moving Suzuki for PLD. Although I still wouldn't be in any rush because an Aho/Suzuki 1-2 punch would have also been ideal.

Very true but at some point 10-11 million for Aho isn't great asset valuation and sets a scary precedenr for Habs players moving forward. Just look at the leads and that disaster

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I didn't hear the Insider Trading segment, but apparently LeBrun said that teams are calling on Barkov's availability. So I don't know the reason why this is brought up because I'm sure GM's have been calling on him for years. For Lebrun to say it, something may be up.

Florida's GM, Bill Zito, was Columbus' Assistant GM the last few years. So there is a link being made by many about a Barkov/PLD trade.

Would be a very good trade for both team and more natural then trading with us.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Lets revisit this discussion in 5 years and I am convinced you will find Ghule has a better NHL career. Its all about projection and in my books Caufiled is anything but a sure bet to make it to the NHL.
It does not mater. 5 years from now. PLD will improve us now. Caufield or Guhle it does not mater.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Staal is the captain and has a NMC. He’s not going anywhere. They just traded for Trocheck, I doubt they’d unload him now and I have doubts that Columbus would want him. I just don’t see the fit when they have other needs.

Um, trockecks contact expires after next season and Staal the season after. Plus Trocheck can easily be moved with a year left

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Why did the Canes trade for Trocheck to begin with? :sarcasm:. Sorry, there are a shit load of guys who are labeled as C/Winger types in the NHL. Necas and Kakko are two of them and both are playing wing today

Kakko was always a winger. Trocheck only has a year left after this season without a NMC

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal

I also have my doubts about Caufield, but at the same time giving up on that shot is hard. That type of natural release is pretty rare in hockey. The guy just finds the back of the net. The big ? is if it will work in the NHL. And I'm not sure to be honest.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Um, trockecks contact expires after next season and Staal the season after. Plus Trocheck can easily be moved with a year left

You're not reading the post. Staal has a NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE meaning he is STAYING.

Trocheck was JUST ACQUIRED and is more than likely STAYING.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kakko was always a winger. Trocheck only has a year left after this season without a NMC

There was talk when Kakko was drafted that he might be a center but don't appear to be so today. Necas is in the discussion with Chytil, KK, Thomas, Glass. That's fair but when you look at Chytil and Kotkaniemi, they have been full time centers for the most part and no other asset has moved them to wing. What people don't understand with KK is his added strength and improved skating. He came into the bubble playoffs a different man and he's even improved on that heading into this season. There are lots of Habs fans worried about him busting out but I think his ceiling is PLD level to be honest. Guess work.

Reactions: Runner77

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Danault , Caulfield and a 1st that’s it

I'd do that, for sure, even if it means missing out on Caufield potentially becoming a 50-goal player :)

Besides, we can always sign him again as an UFA later on, or trade for him when he asks out of Columbus. I mean, we'll have done it for Anderson and Dubois already... ;)

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Is there a precedent for a team having two big, high skill, two-way, physical centers like Dubois and Kotkaniemi? I'm trying to think back to a team that had two top centers like them.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
You're not reading the post. Staal has a NO MOVEMENT CLAUSE meaning he is STAYING.

Trocheck was JUST ACQUIRED and is more than likely STAYING.

Yes he was acquired for a few seasons. He was acquired to fill a short term need. Staal is staying for only 2.5 years then he's gone. Gotta build for the future and the hurricanes can will still staying competitive. Do you think hurricanes will sign Trocheck long term? I dont

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Is there a precedent for a team having two big, high skill, two-way, physical centers like Dubois and Kotkaniemi? I'm trying to think back to a team that had two top centers like them.

The Flames now with Monahan and Lindholm.

Reactions: Draft

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
There was talk when Kakko was drafted that he might be a center but don't appear to be so today. Necas is in the discussion with Chytil, KK, Thomas, Glass. That's fair but when you look at Chytil and Kotkaniemi, they have been full time centers for the most part and no other asset has moved them to wing. What people don't understand with KK is his added strength and improved skating. He came into the bubble playoffs a different man and he's even improved on that heading into this season. There are lots of Habs fans worried about him busting out but I think his ceiling is PLD level to be honest. Guess work.

Completely agree with your KK take and that's why I'm against trading for PLD

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
The Flames now with Monahan and Lindholm.

Pretty close comparable, but Lindholm isn't that big or physical. Not undersized of course, but not nearly at the size or level of physicality that Dubois and Kotakniemi have shown.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm adjusting on the fly as I find more info. After finding the Carter trade, I've adjusted. Not complicated
Again, Carter scored 46g/84pts, PLD career high is 61pts, so that's off already. Looking at the return, Voracek in CLB produced more like Danault than anyone else here, to him they added a 1st+3rd.
You're additions of Koivu and Getzlaf didn't really make much sense.

I don't know what the interest around the league for Danault is, but him+Caufield+1st is a pretty fair deal.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
People keep repeating Bergevin is in a position of strenght. I'd like to remind them, it was supposed to be the same situation when he traded for Drouin, and yet....
Molson even said it on Melnick’s TSN690 show, the org had set specific $ aside that summer for resigning Radulov & Markov and trading for Drouin as a complement to that lineup. Just pointing it out since the Alzner situation is also misconstrued - he was brought in to replace Emelin not replace the Markov loss.

I don’t want this discussion to go down that rabbit hole but it was, what it was...it done & over with.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
People keep repeating Bergevin is in a position of strenght. I'd like to remind them, it was supposed to be the same situation when he traded for Drouin, and yet....

I don't know, I feel that as much as we hate on MB, he has gotten better every single year since he's been here. He's not the same GM he was in 2017. I feel optimistic that if there is a trade to be made here, MB won't mess up...

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
Again, Carter scored 46g/84pts, PLD career high is 61pts, so that's off already. Looking at the return, Voracek in CLB produced more like Danault than anyone else here, to him they added a 1st+3rd.
You're additions of Koivu and Getzlaf didn't really make much sense.

I don't know what the interest around the league for Danault is, but him+Caufield+1st is a pretty fair deal.
That sounds like a fair deal.Any more than that would be overpaid.This is not like years ago when we were desperate for a #1 centre . We have one and quite possibly two if KK keeps improving.No need to be fleeced at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad