News Article: Friedman's 31 Thoughts (Habs Pursuing Dubois)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
But overall, would you not agree that Columbus tends to favor bigger bodies in terms of overall team construction? Of course, there will always be an exception. Doesn't mean they may want to sway too far from their roster building strategy.
Agreed...if anything it might make including a guy like Caufield as a "sweetner" a non-starter for them.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Danault is unsigned though and the odds of him resigning there is very slim , Caulfield might actually intrigue them because he’s an American and playing in Ohio might not be a bad thing for him. Americans have generally stayed the course in Columbus

I think Danault wants the money. Given Columbus' lack of depth at center, and trouble attracting UFA's, and even re-signing their own stars, I could see them being one of the few teams willing to give Danault the 5 to 6M AAV he's looking for.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Suzuki + 2022 Habs 1st rounder (or Romanov) for Dubois is CLB ask
No thanks
Berge counter of Kok + Mete is not gonna work either for CLB
I don't think this one is gonna happen if CLB insists on Suzuki which they will

No one wants Drouin he is a CAP dump trade to unload him
Nobody in the league will give that kind of offer for a guy wanting out.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think Danault wants the money. Given Columbus' lack of depth at center, and trouble attracting UFA's, and even re-signing their own stars, I could see them being one of the few teams willing to give Danault the 5 to 6M AAV he's looking for.

True but does Danault want to go there? It is only about the money?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
But overall, would you not agree that Columbus tends to favor bigger bodies in terms of overall team construction? Of course, there will always be an exception. Doesn't mean they may want to sway too far from their roster building strategy.

I dunno lol... They just traded a 6"3 220 BEAST for a 5"8 punk lol.. who knows what they're all about over there anymore

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I read a guy who works for a Columbus paper said he's heard the talks center around Kk, Mete and something else. I could go for that depending on what something else is.

My heart says no to giving up KK. My head says, yeah, it's probably what should be done. Can't pass up an opportunity to get a player like Dubois.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
True but does Danault want to go there? It is only about the money?

I'm not sure. I'm sensing for Danault it's about money and respect. If they say we see you as a 50 point guy who's one of the best defensive centers in the league. We want to give you a big role and a huge contract. I think he says thank you, that's what I've been looking for, where do I sign.

Plus Danault doesn't strike me as a bright lights big city obsessed guy. But that's speculation.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I read a guy who works for a Columbus paper said he's heard the talks center around Kk, Mete and something else. I could go for that depending on what something else is.

That Hedger guy from Columbus, finally admitted that he had heard it second hand, after getting badgered by Jack Todd and that it wasn't "anything concrete":

Last edited:

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
I meant more from the Blue Jackets perspective...I'm sure this came as a bit of a shocker.

I don't think you make moves or decisions like this in a week or 2.

I'm sure the Blue Jackets would rather keep PLD and hope they can convince him to continue to be a big part of their team over there.

Either way, if only for the discussion, I think it's amazing that the Habs are one of the teams who a player is actually pushing for, one from their own backyard no less.

Perhaps the Habs have turned a corner optically...would be nice.

Great post, as usual. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds, but we sure have to give a lot pour PLD. But Dubois is such an incredible player, would be immense for our franchise. 6'3 centre that play 200 foot hockey, has already 3 good seasons and ceiling is yet to determine.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Nobody in the league will give that kind of offer for a guy wanting out.
I like Suzuki's potential over Dubois' so i would not do it ... but a 6ft2 centre with power and skill and who can skate like da wind is hard to ignore ... i would go Kok, 2022 1st rounder and Byron and see if it works and if not well ok thanks for your time ... having both Dubois and Suzuki down middle with your defense and tender I would pull that trigger ...get best player and you win da trade

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You have to give to get

Agreed. We are selfish if we think we can get PLD without using any one or two of Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield, Guhle, Norlinder. Even more selfish if we think we can get him by using Danault and grade B's for futures.

Most of us say no to Suzuki and Romanov. I think that's the general consensus. But if you start to stretch that to Caufield as well, they are probably going to not answer the phone anymore. It's a disingenuous way to negotiate for a legit Power type of 1C at the age of 22.

Reactions: Runner77

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Great post, as usual. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds, but we sure have to give a lot pour PLD. But Dubois is such an incredible player, would be immense for our franchise. 6'3 centre that play 200 foot hockey, has already 3 good seasons and ceiling is yet to determine.
Man if MB pulls this off,and keeps Suzuki,
It makes up for the past years of crappy GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad